Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

If CMW doesn’t land or any player doesn’t show interest in IU from the draft combine, he will stay with the current roster.  We may as well get comfortable with Trey or Gunn playing the SG position.  

12 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

We may as well get comfortable with Trey or Gunn playing the SG position.  

There should be no discomfort with Trey Galloway playing SG. Galloway started this past season at that position and ended up the best 3-point shooter on the team (percentage wise).  Galloway has gotten better every year he has been at IU.  However, Gunn has a long way to go to be ready for extended minutes. His 3-point shooting (8.3%) was awful in part because his shot selection was poor.  Hopefully, his judgment on the court will improve in year 2 because he has the physical talent to be a good player.  If not, Jakai Newton or even Anthony Leal may end up seeing the floor more than Gunn. After Galloway, none of Gunn, Newton or Leal are proven back-ups.

27 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

There should be no discomfort with Trey Galloway playing SG. Galloway started this past season at that position and ended up the best 3-point shooter on the team (percentage wise).  Galloway has gotten better every year he has been at IU.  However, Gunn has a long way to go to be ready for extended minutes. His 3-point shooting (8.3%) was awful in part because his shot selection was poor.  Hopefully, his judgment on the court will improve in year 2 because he has the physical talent to be a good player.  If not, Jakai Newton or even Anthony Leal may end up seeing the floor more than Gunn. After Galloway, none of Gunn, Newton or Leal are proven back-ups.

From a defensive perspective, Galloway is a good starting option. While his percentage did improve last year, his average PPG is pretty low for a starting SG. Hopefully, he can work on his ability to confidently get his shot off in more situations to bring his points up. Having X and other strong wing options should help.

Sure would be nice to bring in another guard option for a year, even if it's just a more proven bench option.

The more I think about it the more I like Galloway starting at the 2. He’s very efficient when he does shoot, he just doesn’t look for his own shot much. And then he does everything else well. Isn’t that somewhat ideal? We have plenty of guys who will be hunting their own shots. Usage will never be even, and isn’t really intended to be. If Trey keeps hitting over 40% when he does take a 3, and drives when the right opportunity is there, his skill set is about ideal, no?

23 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

The more I think about it the more I like Galloway starting at the 2. He’s very efficient when he does shoot, he just doesn’t look for his own shot much. And then he does everything else well. Isn’t that somewhat ideal? We have plenty of guys who will be hunting their own shots. Usage will never be even, and isn’t really intended to be. If Trey keeps hitting over 40% when he does take a 3, and drives when the right opportunity is there, his skill set is about ideal, no?

I've got no problem with it.  Cupps, will get more time, Gunn and Banks would get more opportunity, and maybe even Newton.  Just need a guy or 2 to step up.  

Our backup PG is a freshman Cupps or a slightly out of positon Galloway.  If X isn't able to go all year that is when we would have a big problem because then you are counting on Cupps or Galloway as your primary 1 and I don't know if that is ideal.  

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Not looking for his own shot much was sometimes problematic last year as there weren't many on the team who did. TJD and JHS were the main two who were willing to shoot and could score. Reneau also looked to score when he got the ball, sometimes too much were I hope he becomes a more willing passer. Outside of that, no one really did, unless you want to count Gunn who liked to shoot when he was in the game but couldn't hit.

Next season IU will have XJ who can score or pass as needed, Mgbako whom I assume will look to score, and Reneau (see above). Ware averaged about 1 shot every 3 minutes of play while TJD averaged 1 shot about every 4 minutes of play so it looks like he is another who will be looking to score. So that is 4 players who will (or at least can) who will be looking to shoot and score. So it might not be a bad thing to have 1 starter who does a lot of things without feeling the need to get shots.

That said, I would still like to have someone that averages around double digits in that position. Maybe that can be Galloway, maybe not.

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

he just doesn’t look for his own shot much.

Though 1st on the team in 3-point shooting percentage, Galloway was 4th in the 3-point attempts. On the one hand, Galloway is the ultimate team player and rarely tries to force a shot. On the other hand, he tends to pass up more than a few open shots. The real problem with Galloway as a starter is that he has been injury prone and also tends to foul quite a bit. If IU doesn't land a good perimeter shooter from the transfer portal, Galloway starting means that unproven players will be backup at the shooting guard spot. Yes, Newton and Gunn will get more chances to prove themselves. But if they aren't up to it, the team will have problems in conference play whenever Galloway has to go to the bench.

Here is what I currently project in terms of # of three pointers take using Torvik's analysis as a guide:

• Xavier Johnson:  4 three point attempts/game, makes 39%
  • Mgbako:  3.2 attempts per game, makes 36%
  • Galloway:  2 attempts per game, make 45%
  • Ware:  1.6 attempts per game, make 29%
  • Cupps:  1.5 attempts per game, make 40%
  • Newton:  1.2 attempts per game, make 36%
  • Banks:  0.5 attempts per game, make 40%
  • Reneau:  0.3 attempts per game, make 27%
  • Walker:  0.3 attempts per game, make 13%
  • Sparks:  0.1 attempts per game, make 39%

That group would make 37% of their threes but only take 14.7 threes per game.  Gunn in the rotation would increase the number of threes taken some but it's still a pretty low number of threes taken.  Mgbako and Cupps could be taking more threes than I've listed -- their numbers are based on other players who statistically came in as freshman to power 5 teams that were ranked the same and played the same position and had similar size.  Mgbako's size would typically produce a player who takes fewer threes than Mgbako will likely take (I have Mgbako taking 10 shots per game, 3.2 of which are threes, and averaging 12 points and 6 boards in 31 minutes).

Unless Mgbako is a bulk three point shooter, right now I see a similar issue that could occur next year with the current group.  If, however, anyone one of several options (Galloway, Cupps, Gunn) are able to have a heavier workload from the perimeter, the offense is now able to both stretch the floor and be pretty mobile.

Trilly Donovan implying that Jahvon Quinerly of Alabama might hit the portal.  6'1" guard, last year averaged 8.7 ppg, 1.9 rpg, and 3.6 apg.  Shot 40/36/82.  Has had an up and down career from three.  Played at Villanova as a freshman and only hit 12 of 48 (25%).  Was deadly as a sophomore at Alabama, hitting 52 of 120 (43%) while averaging 12.9 ppg.  Shooting dropped down as a junior as he hit 28% from three but averaged almost 14 ppg.  In total, has made 160 of 475 from three (34%).

Separately, Trilly stating that Ray J Dennis of Toledo was almost ready to commit to Utah but now Illinois is back in the mix as is Baylor.  Should be announcing by the end of the week.

28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Here is what I currently project in terms of # of three pointers take using Torvik's analysis as a guide:

That group would make 37% of their threes but only take 14.7 threes per game.  Gunn in the rotation would increase the number of threes taken some but it's still a pretty low number of threes taken.  Mgbako and Cupps could be taking more threes than I've listed -- their numbers are based on other players who statistically came in as freshman to power 5 teams that were ranked the same and played the same position and had similar size.  Mgbako's size would typically produce a player who takes fewer threes than Mgbako will likely take (I have Mgbako taking 10 shots per game, 3.2 of which are threes, and averaging 12 points and 6 boards in 31 minutes).

Unless Mgbako is a bulk three point shooter, right now I see a similar issue that could occur next year with the current group.  If, however, anyone one of several options (Galloway, Cupps, Gunn) are able to have a heavier workload from the perimeter, the offense is now able to both stretch the floor and be pretty mobile.

Just a guess on my part, but I feel like part of the reason Ware came to IU is that Woody told him he would allow him to play more out on the floor. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he takes 3-4 a game. They seem to have a pretty flexible front court in that they are big enough and skilled enough to move under the basket and out on the floor, with Reneau/Sparks probably staying under the basket a little more than Mgbako, Ware, and Banks.

36 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

4 per game by X seems high to me. Per sports-reference he averaged 2.5 per game this past season. I would think he'll average around 3 and Mgbako more than 3.2 (Kopp averaged 4.1). JHS was at 3.5 per game. Gallo only averaged 2.0 while Bates was at 2.8. Have to think Gallo will increase his takes and with a more outside oriented offense some others will step up the outside takes.

16 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

4 per game by X seems high to me. Per sports-reference he averaged 2.5 per game this past season. I would think he'll average around 3 and Mgbako more than 3.2 (Kopp averaged 4.1). JHS was at 3.5 per game. Gallo only averaged 2.0 while Bates was at 2.8. Have to think Gallo will increase his takes and with a more outside oriented offense some others will step up the outside takes.

4 would be the ceiling for number of attempts for X IMO.  The numbers I posted weren't really my thoughts, but rather my estimations based on what Torvik says:

1.  More court time/game.  Torvik has X leading the team in minutes at around 32 min/game.

2.  History of three point attempts.  X's three point shots/game were lower than his career average.

3.  I don't tend to use Torvik's estimated usage numbers -- instead I take into account increased efficiency numbers to result in increased usage.  Torvik estimates X having an increase in efficiency of about 5% overall (I equate this to an increase in three point shooting percentage going from 37% to 38.5% next year).

So basically, Torvik sees a 28% increase in minutes/game for X, a 5% increase in efficiency, and a predicted higher average three point shots per minute since 2022-23 represented a drop from what he had done in the past.

38 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

4 would be the ceiling for number of attempts for X IMO.  The numbers I posted weren't really my thoughts, but rather my estimations based on what Torvik says:

1.  More court time/game.  Torvik has X leading the team in minutes at around 32 min/game.

2.  History of three point attempts.  X's three point shots/game were lower than his career average.

3.  I don't tend to use Torvik's estimated usage numbers -- instead I take into account increased efficiency numbers to result in increased usage.  Torvik estimates X having an increase in efficiency of about 5% overall (I equate this to an increase in three point shooting percentage going from 37% to 38.5% next year).

So basically, Torvik sees a 28% increase in minutes/game for X, a 5% increase in efficiency, and a predicted higher average three point shots per minute since 2022-23 represented a drop from what he had done in the past.

Yes I realize you were just posting Torvik estimates - I was in turn just giving my thoughts on those and numbers that seem to me to be more reasonable based on last year's shooting numbers, who's leaving and who's coming in. Tend to think Mgbacko is going to fill more of the shooting in place of Kopp, but that's just based on what I've read on Mgbacko, obviously don't know more than that at this point. My thinking on Gallo is part hopeful thinking, he improved his shooting and selection so much this past season, if we are moving to more of an outside-shooting O on volume (and I really, really hope we are), would hope/think he'd up his shot takes this season.