Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

10 hours ago, jonz44 said:

Damn man! It's a message board, not life and death. People just doing what fans do. Being passionate about something that brings them joy. Try not to be so legalistic. That's the reason many people (myself included) read but don't comment very often.

Sent from my SM-S901U using BtownBanners mobile app

That isn't what they're doing though. We agree its not life and death, so it isn't an unreasonable ask of people to see the big picture once in awhile. There are a sector of IU fans that make message boards unreadable... @woodenshoemanHoosierfan isn't part of that group. 

11 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

I agree. I’ll always admit when I’m wrong because there’s no reason not to. I also think at that point in time it was fair to have concerns given how the 23 class had looked at the time and the major holes on the roster. However I think the Mgbako win is one for me personally that has cemented my trust in the recruiting

Not really. It was mid April. It was a steep overreaction. The class of 23 struggled simply because the staff was behind in recruting them. They were hired when they were HS SOs. 

We had Sparks, Ware already in the bag at the time of the freak out lol it was a confusing time. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Not really. It was mid April. It was a steep overreaction. The class of 23 struggled simply because the staff was behind in recruting them. They were hired when they were HS SOs. 

We had Sparks, Ware already in the bag at the time of the freak out lol it was a confusing time. 

There weee major holes on the wing at the time and we were not reported to be involved with any wings and we had just lost a guy that we basically had been told was ours. I’m not going to get into a big argument about this because it’s moot now but that was a culmination of all the misses from last summer. Mgbako came out of nowhere and I’m damn sure glad he did lol 

Ole Miss has signed four in the portal under Chris Beard.  Two are non-grad two time transfers so will have to see if they receive a waiver to player right away.

Of the four, two are seven+ footers — Jamarion Sharp (7’5”) and Cissa from Oklahoma state (7’1”).

1 hour ago, IU_FanClub said:

There weee major holes on the wing at the time and we were not reported to be involved with any wings and we had just lost a guy that we basically had been told was ours. I’m not going to get into a big argument about this because it’s moot now but that was a culmination of all the misses from last summer. Mgbako came out of nowhere and I’m damn sure glad he did lol 

What were these misses? FR that weren't difference makers anyway. The lack of "reporting" really isn't a big deal to me. I don't need an article for every text message the staff sends. 

Tyrin Lawrence. 6-4 195. No clue if IU has reached out or not. 

Put his name in the draft. No combine invite. Finished his junior year at Vandy.

Averaged 13 pts on 48% from the field. Shot 36% from 3. 74% from the line. 

Bring him in, play him alongside X. Both could play the 1 or 2 easily. 

Develop him into a draft pick and hang your hat on it to the HS recruits. 

Imagine the recruiting cred they could build by bringing in him, Ware, and Mgbako into the program and getting them all drafted in the same year. Wow. 3 different back stories coming from different points in their careers, to NBA draft picks thanks to IU and their development. 

2 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Put his name in the draft. No combine invite. Finished his junior year at Vandy.

Imagine the recruiting cred they could build by bringing in him, Ware, and Mgbako into the program and getting them all drafted in the same year. Wow. 3 different back stories coming from different points in their careers, to NBA draft picks thanks to IU and their development. 

Lawrence makes perfect sense for IU. No idea if IU makes sense for Lawrence. Would be surprised if they don’t inquire. Read a couple of places after he entered the portal that he has a kid now and money’s a thing for him. If that’s true, would think geography would be a factor for him as well.

17 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Yea, we would be just like UK!

1 hour ago, jbeaman9 said:

IU reached out when he first entered the portal.  If I remember correctly, he seems to be more linked to transferring to another SEC team.

Austin Williams, grad transfer, enters the portal.  Spent 2017-18 and 2018-19 at Marist;  transferred to Hartford, sat out 2019-20 under transfer rules, played two years, transferred to Florida International last year in what was to be his last year, but missed all season with a knee injury..  His transfer will give him his third team in seven seasons.

His last year he played -- 2021-22 at Hartford -- he averaged 16.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, and 3.4 apg.  Shot 50/31/62. 

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Austin Williams, grad transfer, enters the portal.  Spent 2017-18 and 2018-19 at Marist;  transferred to Hartford, sat out 2019-20 under transfer rules, played two years, transferred to Florida International last year in what was to be his last year, but missed all season with a knee injury..  His transfer will give him his third team in seven seasons.

His last year he played -- 2021-22 at Hartford -- he averaged 16.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, and 3.4 apg.  Shot 50/31/62. 

6-4 200 guard. New Jersey kid. 1 year. Maybe...

By the looks of the videos Ive watched- I think Sparks and Walker are going to be excellent contributors for this team. 

Sparks looks very strong, finisher through contact.

Walker is a long bouncy small forward like Banks, who I also think can do good things for us. 

Our athletic depth will be something we haven't had here in a long long time. We've always had one guy on the floor who wasn't a great athlete, without naming names. Next year, I think most of the time we will be athletic from 1-5 (unless you count Trey as limiting, which I don't).

14 minutes ago, Adillac said:

By the looks of the videos Ive watched- I think Sparks and Walker are going to be excellent contributors for this team. 

Sparks looks very strong, finisher through contact.

Walker is a long bouncy small forward like Banks, who I also think can do good things for us. 

Walker is a power forward.

Trilly Donovan alluding to a signing at St. John's -- looks to be Zuby Elijiofor from Kansas.  Was ranked 47th in the class of 2023 but had a very disappointing freshman year at Kansas.

Pitino kept only Joel Soriano and little used Drissa Traore on the team and also had all previous incoming recruits decommit.  Not sure they are really any better than they were before, just different.  Have to see if they add anyone else -- I'm not sure how many scholarship spots are left.