Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Grad transfers can enter the portal after tomorrow and will still be eligible 

That's what I thought, as well, but I also saw that there was some deadline for grad transfers entering the portal that was on May 1. Do you know what that deadline was?

Is it that recent grads can transfer at any time but students that were already grad students had the May 1 deadline? It's clear as mud to me.

It indicates the staff is doing their due diligence in case they don't get the outcome they want on Friday, which is what any college basketball staff with functioning brain cells should be doing. 

Recruiting literally never stops. I've never figured out why people assume coaches showing interest in one player means they've given up on another. 

While I fully agree, sometimes it’s exactly what it means. We a staff publicly puts interest in a player at the same position late in the game, it can mean they know the answer.

That being said, Indiana hasn’t done any of those things which continue to give me some confidence in MM.

In the case of Phillips, it was more the IU media Tweeters that uniformly jumped on.

But, then sometimes the Media guys are used as mouthpieces. So, 🤷🏼

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It indicates the staff is doing their due diligence in case they don't get the outcome they want on Friday, which is what any college basketball staff with functioning brain cells should be doing. 

Recruiting literally never stops. I've never figured out why people assume coaches showing interest in one player means they've given up on another. 

You kind of took a leap from my post.

Yes, I understand that any staff with “functioning brain cells” has a plan B (and C and D and E…etc) but my point was that the sudden emergence of interest in a guy that plays the exact same position as MM might mean the staff knows he is going to Kansas.

But thanks for the recruiting lesson :)

5 hours ago, DChoosier said:

You kind of took a leap from my post.

Yes, I understand that any staff with “functioning brain cells” has a plan B (and C and D and E…etc) but my point was that the sudden emergence of interest in a guy that plays the exact same position as MM might mean the staff knows he is going to Kansas.

But thanks for the recruiting lesson :)

The ‘sudden emergence’ of interest couldn’t have happened before because he wasn’t in the portal until yesterday.

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

6’8” small forward.  Averaged 8.1 points and 4.7 rebounds as a freshman at Tennessee.  Ranked 19th in class of 2022.  247 described him out of high school as a slasher who did project to develop a perimeter game.  Only shot 11 of 46 from deep as a freshman but was an 82% free throw shooter.  Saw a statistical analysis of him that said while he was on and off offensively as a freshman that Tennessee’s defensive numbers with him on the court were incredible.

Saw some video and shot doesn't look bad so his shooting numbers may improve, especially since he shot FTs well.

We need a good option at wing, Mgbako will choose Kansas.

12 hours ago, go iu bb said:

That's what I thought, as well, but I also saw that there was some deadline for grad transfers entering the portal that was on May 1. Do you know what that deadline was?

Is it that recent grads can transfer at any time but students that were already grad students had the May 1 deadline? It's clear as mud to me.

I don’t think there is a deadline for grad transfers 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The ‘sudden emergence’ of interest couldn’t have happened before because he wasn’t in the portal until yesterday.

Yeah can’t compare high school recruiting to portal recruiting.   Not the same.  Arkansas reaches out to everyone with a pulse that has entered.  They fill their team early in portal season by reaching out to everyone.   Only problem with that is they will never get to recruit  late portal additions.    If I’m a staff I reach out to every major addition to the portal regardless of it my team has a shot.   A former McDonald’s all American hits the portal your team should automatically reach out.    It cost nothing to reach out 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah can’t compare high school recruiting to portal recruiting.   Not the same.  Arkansas reaches out to everyone with a pulse that has entered.  They fill their team early in portal season by reaching out to everyone.   Only problem with that is they will never get to recruit  late portal additions.    If I’m a staff I reach out to every major addition to the portal regardless of it my team has a shot.   A former McDonald’s all American hits the portal your team should automatically reach out.    It cost nothing to reach out 

Yep — Arkansas had made contact with 80+ players by early April.

16 minutes ago, Demo said:

Kansas is straight up nuts.  I guess Dickinson was really worth all this.  Talk about a program having no loyalty.  Frees up front court minutes for MM because Adams is probably playing a lot too.  Kansas is also after the North Dakota or whatever kid too.  

Anyway, Screw Kansas.  

41 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Kansas is straight up nuts.  I guess Dickinson was really worth all this.  Talk about a program having no loyalty.  Frees up front court minutes for MM because Adams is probably playing a lot too.  Kansas is also after the North Dakota or whatever kid too.  

Anyway, Screw Kansas.  

I can tell you on the Kansas boards they were really worried about Udeh leaving -- they really like him.

18 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Another player that Trilly Donovan mentioned that there are rumors of entering the portal is Missouri’s Kobe Brown.  6’8” big wing who averaged 16 points and nearly 7 rebounds last season.  Shot 55% overall and 46% from three.

one item to keep in mind is that the SEC had a rule that if a player transfers from an SEC school to another SEC school after May 2st, they have to get a waiver from the conference or sit out a year.

Not a fan of inner-conference transfers, wish the Big Ten would do something similar or even stricter. 

15 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Not a fan of inner-conference transfers, wish the Big Ten would do something similar or even stricter. 

I think the Big Ten used to have a rule that if a player transferred within the Big Ten, he lost his scholarship. I kind of wish they'd go back to that; I have no idea why this has become such a fad in this league.

32 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think the Big Ten used to have a rule that if a player transferred within the Big Ten, he lost his scholarship. I kind of wish they'd go back to that; I have no idea why this has become such a fad in this league.

Happened with Lawrence Funderburke 

Illinois is thought to be the favorite to land Ray J. Dennis from Toldeo.  He is visiting them today and Trilly Donovan says this is believed to be the first of three visits scheduled although he didn't say the other two.  Illinois will obviously try to get him to commit before leaving.

In terms of Julian Phillips, one note is that Auburn was close to getting him when he signed with Tennessee last year.  What is unknown is if he would get a waiver from the SEC should he want to transfer there since he entered the portal after May 1st.

45 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Illinois is thought to be the favorite to land Ray J. Dennis from Toldeo.  He is visiting them today and Trilly Donovan says this is believed to be the first of three visits scheduled although he didn't say the other two.  Illinois will obviously try to get him to commit before leaving.

Trilly Donovan indicating in a reply that IU likely not getting a visit although IU staff tried to get one.  Am guessing that Dennis will end up at Illinois and Shannon stays in the draft.