Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

I don’t think we rushed or panic but I do agree with you, why fill one of the 3 remaining scholarships on someone who will only be a backup, we can wait to get that type of player plus we could use Banks in that role in a pinch.  Let’s concentrate on major needs first than work on plugging some holes later

In theory this is correct. But in reality, the staff MIGHT be being realistic and being honest in recruiting. If so, and hopefully, it pays off, that would lead to a much better locker room with guys somewhat knowing their role, etc. Also, eventually the honest approach )if that’s what we are doing) will spread out to coaches/players.

I think recruiting HSers you never know who’s likely to earn the PT. I think with TP, minute distribution stuff is a little more predictable. Now, granted, bench guys can always steal minutes and their needs to be that internal motivation and the coaches need to reward strong bench play too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Because adding an excellent depth piece does not, in any way, preclude, limit, or deter us from pursuing or prevent top wing options from popping for IU.

It doesn’t prevent us from going after a top target. But you’re making the assumption we land a plug and play, top target for the perimeter.  

There’s a change we don’t land a top target and are taking flyers on guys. In that scenario the extra spot is valuable because the chances are lower any single one of them will work out. You’d rather have multiple bites at the apple.  

I don’t see why Banks can’t fill the 4th big minutes. He did some last year. So did Geronimo. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

It doesn’t prevent us from going after a top target. But you’re making the assumption we land a plug and play, top target for the perimeter.  

There’s a change we don’t land a top target and are taking flyers on guys. In that scenario the extra spot is valuable because the chances are lower any single one of them will work out. You’d rather have multiple bites at the apple.  

I don’t see why Banks can’t fill the 4th big minutes. He did some last year. So did Geronimo. 

Your point would be valid if we were in danger of filling all three remaining spots with depth players. 

We're clearly not.

Isn't this thread in the wrong forum?

I'm not complaining since it's nice not having to switch between forums to read active threads but it seems like it should be in the recruiting forum.

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

The staff has 3 that have been made public with more waiting in the wings. They will fill these last 2 spots with top talent. This is not a scramble. This has all been lined up but just now coming out and more will. 

trust them 

I'm anxious who is in "waiting" behind the three that have publicly been announced.  

10 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Ugh, please no.  Time to make sacrifices to the basketball gods to avoid this.

I'd feel differently if he brought shooting or something this team actually needs, but he's not a scorer and has no business even thinking about taking a 3.  He's a body to spell Reneau but he's not good.  A move like this makes me think they put their eggs in the Ledlum/Knecht basket and are getting desperate.

I don't see a down side with bring in Walker. He will be a backup 4 and is athletic which will help on the defensive end.

22 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

It doesn’t have to go in order. They can walk and chew gum at same tine. So many will be eating crow. This staff has more talent than they can bring in lined up.

Is that what you’ve learned from perusing their Instagram followers? We’ll see if you’re right this time. 

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

Some of those names have been floated. The problem is if they don’t come true people flip. But there are still guys that the staff knows very well could enter portal and they have to wait for that. Dingle was that. We knew and when he did, first call. 
there are NBA draft guys too that we have to see if they will come back. But this gives us lots of options now. 

will be exciting over the next few weeks sounds like. 

28 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I always thought with the last 3 spots we would go with 1 more big and 2 guard/wing players. Walker fit that so what would be the problem with him being a backup. Some act like we have 8 starting spots and everyone we sign will be a starter. We already have 3 starters on XJ, Reneau and Ware so all 3 scholarships won't be starters 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Is that what you’ve learned from perusing their Instagram followers? We’ll see if you’re right this time. 

While it's your prerogative, there's really no need to be a smart @$$.

• Woody wants to win. Not someday; he wants to win and win at IU ... NOW.
  • Getting a guy like Anthony Walker to basically replace Jordan Geronimo would be fantastic news, and an upgrade.
  • Our other players to replace are Trayce, JHS, Race, and MillerK
    • Xavier
    • Sparks
    • Ware
    • A high level SG like Dennis or Dingle, and 
    • A shooter like Mgbako (not overly likely but certainly possible)

Would do that and maybe even then some.

No need for griping when "stay tuned, this could be getting good" is a more realistic take.

27 minutes ago, str8baller said:

What top players are you guaranteeing that we land? 

Guaranteeing? lol

Are you saying if there's not a guarantee on a message board that we are landing players that, to your satisfaction, are top players you are losing faith in the staff to put together a strong roster?

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While it's your prerogative, there's really no need to be a smart @$$.

• Woody wants to win. Not someday; he wants to win and win at IU ... NOW.
  • Getting a guy like Anthony Walker to basically replace Jordan Geronimo would be fantastic news, and an upgrade.
  • Our other players to replace are Trayce, JHS, Race, and MillerK
    • Xavier
    • Sparks
    • Ware
    • A high level SG like Dennis or Dingle, and 
    • A shooter like Mgbako (not overly likely but certainly possible)

Would do that and maybe even then some.

No need for griping when "stay tuned, this could be getting good" is a more realistic take.

The guy has been going around troll-reacting to all of my posts for days now, so I finally made a smart-@$$ response to him. 

I’ve been staying tuned for the better part of a decade and my patience is running thin. Walker isn’t even my biggest problem. We have multiple guys on this roster who I see as 10 mpg max , end of rotation guys. I don’t feel good about Leal, Gunn, or Banks, and I don’t feel good about the two freshmen coming in and being contributors next year either. So, in light of that, adding another 10 mpg guy isn’t appealing to me. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The guy has been going around troll-reacting to all of my posts for days now, so I finally made a smart-@$$ response to him. 

I’ve been staying tuned for the better part of a decade and my patience is running thin. Walker isn’t even my biggest problem. We have multiple guys on this roster who I see as 10 mpg max , end of rotation guys. I don’t feel good about Leal, Gunn, or Banks, and I don’t feel good about the two freshmen coming in and being contributors next year either. So, in light of that, adding another 10 mpg guy isn’t appealing to me. 

Completely fair, but also fair that you're not exactly an optimist. 

So Leal will be the 13th guy. If Walker, Banks, Gunn, and Newton are the 9-12th, we are a very very strong team. 

I would hope we can agree that having 10+ "starter quality" guys on a college basketball roster is a recipe for team discord.