Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I understand our approach perfectly fine. I don’t agree with the approach at all. It comes down to a person’s perception of the roster as it stands now. 

I don't think you do, or you haven't shown that. Which is fine, but it explains the disconnect. 

But, what part is there to not agree with? 

Just now, btownqb said:

What part is there to not agree with? 

Going after an end of the bench frontcourt player when we have big holes on the perimeter. 

Here is who we have at the 1-3 right now:

Xavier, Galloway, Leal, Gunn, Banks, Newton, Cupps.

Is that supposed to inspire confidence? It’s a guard’s game. We lost our best guard in JHS, and we also lost our best shooter in Kopp. Trey shoots well on low volume, but we were already last in the conference in attempts per game. Half our three point volume is gone. Who’s taking 3s next year? Gunn? He shot 8%. If the staff is keeping a scholarship open, I would much prefer we use both scholarships on improving the perimeter. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Going after an end of the bench frontcourt player when we have big holes on the perimeter. 

Here is who we have at the 1-3 right now:

Xavier, Galloway, Leal, Gunn, Banks, Newton, Cupps.

Is that supposed to inspire confidence? It’s a guard’s game. We lost our best guard in JHS, and we also lost our best shooter in Kopp. Trey shoots well on low volume, but we were already last in the conference in attempts per game. Half our three point volume is gone. Who’s taking 3s next year? Gunn? He shot 8%. If the staff is keeping a scholarship open, I would much prefer we use both scholarships on improving the perimeter. 

See the first sentence, just right there. Plus now you're assuming things. (bold)

We aren't only recruiting ONE player. Cmon. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

So your solution is to

1. go after solely the big fish,
  2. not pursue back of the rotation guys until all big fish decide,
  3. and then??

Yes? There’s like a thousand guys in the portal. If we can’t land impact players at positions of need, then there will be opportunities to land end of the rotation guys later on. When we don’t land players right away, the more optimistic folks point out that it’s early, that players will continue to enter the portal, and that Kansas State had two players on July 1st. 

Now we need to be in a rush to fill one of our few remaining scholarships with a mediocre backup big? 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yes? There’s like a thousand guys in the portal. If we can’t land impact players at positions of need, then there will be opportunities to land end of the rotation guys later on. When we don’t land players right away, the more optimistic folks point out that it’s early, that players will continue to enter the portal, and that Kansas State had two players on July 1st. 

Now we need to be in a rush to fill one of our few remaining scholarships with a mediocre backup big? 

We've rushed? 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s not they are rushing to get an end of the bench guy before a wing. They know they need a wing. But players don’t commit/sign on a fans timeline. They commit on their timeline. So we could sign all bigs before the first wing decides to join. Doesn’t mean the staff haven’t prioritized it. Selling to bigs is a easier proposition for the staff to sell bc of TJD, so spots fill faster there. 

IU has t had an elite shooting guard/wing to sell to recruits. So it’s a tougher sell to get a guy to come. Filling every spot means the staff can sell the “you’re the final piece to our team” to a player.

Seems like if IU were able to secure a transfer like Dingle prior to Mgbako committing anywhere that would help with him. Or vice versa. But I just think we’re long shots with Mgbako. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He's a grown man player and I love those Ivy League transfers - the odds of them being great locker room additions are so very high.

Yup, Michigan has not been able to replicate what Mike Smith’s presence brought to that team.

Talks of him being more of a 2. Strengths of scoring. A better fit than Dennis imo. X can handle PG. Then Cupps/TG as secondary/tertiary. We don’t really need a PG type guard as much as we need a SG/Combo. Plus, Dennis likely Illinois bound anyway.

Dingle will attract The Who’s Who club too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t think we rushed or panic but I do agree with you, why fill one of the 3 remaining scholarships on someone who will only be a backup, we can wait to get that type of player plus we could use Banks in that role in a pinch.  Let’s concentrate on major needs first than work on plugging some holes later