Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

26 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It's not like Miami had much size.  3 players 6'9 or over, biggest player to get over 12 mpg was 6'7.

So, he isn't a good option to have for depth/plat at most 10mins ish a game? Especially when you factor in he will only be here one year? 

That's all I care about here. 

21 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

From Dailyhoosier.com twitter article 

For his career Walker has averaged 15 minutes per game and 13.1 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per 40.

Walker is a career 42 percent shooter overall, including 51 percent from two and 21 percent from three.  He shoots 66 percent from the free throw line.

Like Anthony Walker? That played for Miami? When he he average those numbers? He averaged 4.9ppg, 2.5 rebounds. Shot 43.2% from the field,20.6% from 3 and 66% from the FT line. Where did the 13 points come from?

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Like Anthony Walker? That played for Miami? When he he average those numbers? He averaged 4.9ppg, 2.5 rebounds. Shot 43.2% from the field,20.6% from 3 and 66% from the FT line. Where did the 13 points come from?

Per 40 stats, not per game.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

No idea, just posting part of article. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-transfer-portal-names-to-know-miamis-anthony-walker/

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So, he isn't a good option to have for depth/plat at most 10mins ish a game? Especially when you factor in he will only be here one year? 

That's all I care about here. 

I'd rather address actual needs, like scoring.  Not a guy that'll spend 30+ minutes making sure the bench doesn't magically fly away, I'd use the scholarship on a freshman before I did that.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd rather address actual needs, like scoring.  Not a guy that'll spend 30+ minutes making sure the bench doesn't magically fly away, I'd use the scholarship on a freshman before I did that.

I wouldn't just use a 4 year scholly on some random HS player unless a top tier guy became available. I'm not over the moon about this potential pickup but he's a one year filler and gives us an experienced depth piece. As long as we use the other 2 scholly's on higher impact players this is fine in my book. I'll put it this way, if this is our 13th scholarship I'd rather use it on him than sit on it.

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s per 40 minutes. We saw the per 40 minutes number being frequently used last offseason for Geronimo as proof that he’s a stud, but we know how that turned out. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

First, the staff is capable of multi-tasking. Because Walker is visiting and if he commits it doesn't mean the staff thinks that is the #1 priority. It's just the timing. But, do agree we need to address those guard/wing issues. 

On your 2nd point, I'd rather have this guy than a freshmen. It's the equivalent of an NBA team getting a vet minimum guy as their 10th guy vs an undrafted free agent. 

I'd rather have a kid who, albeit in limited minutes, has played at Duke, at UNC, in the Final Four, etc., etc. to replace Reneau when he inevitably gets in foul trouble on the road in the Big Ten as opposed to some freshmen big ranked 147th in his class. 

Everything in this post is clearly and objectively on point. I cannot imagine thinking otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

I wouldn't just use a 4 year scholly on some random HS player unless a top tier guy became available. I'm not over the moon about this potential pickup but he's a one year filler and gives us an experienced depth piece. As long as we use the other 2 scholly's on higher impact players this is fine in my book. I'll put it this way, if this is our 13th scholarship I'd rather use it on him than sit on it.

Weren’t there reports that the staff doesn’t want to use the 13th scholarship? Because if so that would mean he’s being targeted as one of our last two portal guys. 

Just now, Bowhunter said:

It’s just for one season. That gives us another 2024 recruit.

Big freshman classes are becoming a thing of the past. We'll still be able to add a few but I'd rather see impactful guys brought into the program to help THIS season. Can't lose a bunch of momentum as a program. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I mean, I thought it was a given we'd add another 4... plus AW's skill set is a little different than the other 3. 

Agreed. We had 5 "bigs" taking up a scholarship last season. Next season's roster only has 3 right now. Adding this guy, though not certain, adds some needed quality depth.

11 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Big freshman classes are becoming a thing of the past. We'll still be able to add a few but I'd rather see impactful guys brought into the program to help THIS season. Can't lose a bunch of momentum as a program. 

We have already missed on those guys. They chose Tennessee, Michigan , Kansas, Ohio St. etc. Even if we don’t get the 2024 recruit in his place, we have a chance the portal will have more quality next season. I am on board with we need a shooter desperately. That is for sure!

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIJVKPaYnbw&pp=ygUOYW50aG9ueSB3YWxrZXI%3D

Was about to post that, not a really fan though because we need outside scoring.

I assume he is being brought in to be a back 4 to Reneau.  I always thought with the 3 remaining scholarships we would use 2 on wings or guards and 1 more big. We all know the history of injuries at IU and you can't go into the season with only 3 big guys.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It honestly makes no sense why we need another 6'9 dude. 

You can't go into the season with only 3 big men on the roster. You get 1 injury and there goes any depth. Most top teams have more than 3 big guys on their roster. Seems pretty simple to understand the logic of needing another 4 man

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s per 40 minutes. We saw the per 40 minutes number being frequently used last offseason for Geronimo as proof that he’s a stud, but we know how that turned out. 

Nobody said Walker would be a stud coming here but would fit a need as a backup 4. We have seen over the years of injuries at IU and you can't go into the season with 3 big guys on your roster 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Weren’t there reports that the staff doesn’t want to use the 13th scholarship? Because if so that would mean he’s being targeted as one of our last two portal guys. 

I've seen that on message boards but never really believed it. No reason to leave a scholarship open if you can get a decent player for 1 season via the transfer portal.