Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

so you are using an argument that another poster said in a discussion to someone that didn’t say that?  Just seems kind of silly to me.

Glad the point came through clearly. It's almost as silly as the original comment and almost as silly as a fourth poster commenting to keep it alive. Instead of one silly post we now have 4+ posts involving a silly post about placing blame on the fans for why a coach wasn't able to get it done.

10 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

FWIW, my projections -- if Ware plays 25 mpg, Reneau plays 25 mpg, and Sparks plays 20 -- would be a total of 31.8 points.  Torvik projects at those minute numbers they total 26.0 points if they play those minute totals.  Where Torvik and I differ greatly and why the numbers are so much different is that Torvik is predicting Galloway to be a have a much increased role in the offense -- average 12.1 points in about 31 minutes per game.  I project if he plays 31 minutes, he'll average 7.5, so the shots they are giving him I have more toward other players.

Of course this is all going to be subject to change depending on final roster.

Thanks for the post.  Interesting information to chew on.

Reneau, in his freshman year, was a lot better than I had imagined.  Good feel for around the basket.  Shot well and made his free throws.  But he has to control his fouls.  He was great against B1G competition, generally.  He just may have a great sophomore year.  And with Ware, if Ware hits a decent amount of outside shots and can make things happen, then that tandem will be something we have dreamed of.

I like Galloway's energy.  But he needs to increase his outside shooting.  And he needs to play so that he doesn't charge into the fire and end up getting nothing.

And XJ needs to stay healthy and play smart...not react to others getting into his head in a negative way. Having a senior, experienced, really good point guard in XJ has me getting excited for the upcoming season. Relying on Cupps, as a freshman to relieve XJ is not a winner in conference play.

IU still has some holes in the roster at the 2 and 3.  And depth on the roster is important for the full season to survive the myriad injuries to the starters.  I hope IU starts hitting free throws, makes outside shots, creates opportunities, and plays defense better. We need a shot doctor. And basketball players. That's a lot to hope for.

I'm not worried about it, though.  The coaches and other fans can do that.

I'm celebrating that IU basketball is looking like we are on a serious upward trend.  

Coach Woody says: "I want you!" 

Indiana basketball: New coach Mike Woodson has never recruited before

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Not a fan of the Tre White interest.

me neither,.....especially when he "shows off" all 24+ colleges showing interest. 

29 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I like Galloway's energy.  But he needs to improve his outside shooting. 

Galloway hit 46.2% of his shots from 3-point range (30 for 65) which was first on the team percentage-wise. He clearly has improved his outside shooting. But he was 4th on the team in 3-point attempts. Arguably he should be taking more shots from deep. But he is the ultimate team player and maybe he was looking more to get the ball inside to TJD or set up JHS than shoot. With Kopp, JHS and Tamar Bates gone--all of whom shot more from the perimeter than he did, maybe it is time for Galloway to step up and shoot more from behind the 3-point line.

44 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Glad the point came through clearly. It's almost as silly as the original comment and almost as silly as a fourth poster commenting to keep it alive. Instead of one silly post we now have 4+ posts involving a silly post about placing blame on the fans for why a coach wasn't able to get it done.

Never said it was the only reason but you need to get your head out of the sand if you don't think it is part of the problem.

Not an IU fit but of note because of the medical waiver -- Dusan Mahorcic (NC State) granted a medical waiver to play a sixth year and is entering the portal.  He had injuries the past two seasons -- played 13 games in 2021-22 and 10 games last year before attempting to come back unsuccessfullly (patella injury ended in surgery).  Of note, 3 of the 10 games were in a multi team event so he would have been under the 30% number.

Mahorcic is a 6'10" post who averaged 8.7 points and 6.6 rebounds in 21 minutes per game for NC State prior to the injury.  This will actually be his FOURTH transfer:  he started his career at Lewis University and played two years before transferring up to D1 and playing a season at Illinois State;  he then used his free transfer to transfer to Utah in 2021-22 and then as a grad transfer transferred to NC State last year.

16 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Galloway hit 46.2% of his shots from 3-point range (30 for 65) which was first on the team percentage-wise. He clearly has improved his outside shooting. But he was 4th on the team in 3-point attempts. Arguably he should be taking more shots from deep. But he is the ultimate team player and maybe he was looking more to get the ball inside to TJD or set up JHS than shoot. With Kopp, JHS and Tamar Bates gone--all of whom shot more from the perimeter than he did, maybe it is time for Galloway to step up and shoot more from behind the 3-point line.

This may have been mentioned before, but couldn’t Galloway play the 3 in a 3 guard lineup?  I like him better there than to try to guard a much quicker player.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Vandy SG Tyrin Lawrence enters the portal. 6’4” lefty with a serious Al Durham vibe. Averaged 13 and shot 36% from 3. Nice player. Georgia kid.

Now this could be an interesting player.....

3 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

My guess is Ya is already cooking here

Would think so. He’ll have a solid, solid offer list. My 1st blush was Ga Tech makes a ton of sense.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Quite a silly string.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

I don’t think they ideally want a player with 2 years left. Look at who the main 2 guys they just want after. Some missed options may have them open up more to guys with more eligibility left. It is a balancing act of not just talent someone brings but balancing classes and keeping open spots for guys this staff have been on for a few years now. 

We really do not know what Coach Woody wants relative to this portal transfer season and going into the coming season.  Sure, there are indicators.  However, because of the greater turnover being caused, in part by the portal itself, by Covid playing years being extended, and because of change of offensive schemes, and new additions, and depletions at the end of next season due to going pro...just lots of changes....I would speculate that the coaches are being very flexible in roster management and construction.  There still can be players entering the portal from our team.

I think that what we are thinking is not what they coaches are thinking and doing. I think.