Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

37 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s about the only part of the post I agree with.  

You’ll have to explain to me how having an NBA draft pick and beat NPOY along with a one-and-done all-world freshman PG hurts recruiting. 

You’ll probably also have to explain how jettisoning  those guys (and watching them succeed at places not named IU)would improve our recruiting to the point that we would be looking at an otherwise currently unattainable “successful year.” ‘Cause I’m a little fuzzy on this part too.   

I’m also confused as to how Ware ended up here playing a style that Woody doesn’t want. But I think maybe what Woody wants and what the people on this board think Woody wants are two different things. So I’m more interested in the first two questions. 

Apparently reading is a skill.  I'm not saying it was the thing to do.  But it was certainly 1 of two options. 

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

You know if we sucked the first two years this fan base would have been calling for his head. He did the right thing because he at least got us competing again and got to the tournament. Some fans still isn't  behind him even though we had two good seasons so what do you think it would be like with two bad seasons 

What exactly did we compete for in hist first two seasons?

54 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Don't know  who this Ant Wright is but this was on YouTube. I think both teams f these guys will be more of a contributor than a lot think they will. Also putting the two transfers with these two makes for a good class and we will add more to that class.

Ant played at Michigan and then Toledo about 12-13 years ago 

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Got IU established back to being a tournament team and finished second in the big ten

Woodson actually being able to beat Purdue 3-1 just to name a couple.

I get it some people see the same thing and it  sees the positive where others will look for the negatives.

Being better than the seasons before him. Realistically that’s where the goals of the program needed to be. If the point of this was to undermine the work of his first two seasons by getting someone to admit we did not compete for a final four, title, etc then your expectations may have been unrealistic and Cinderella-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Portal thread seems to be half 'we are going to suck next year' to half 'everything is fine'.  
I look forward to watching it play out instead of taking a side 8 months prior.  Truth is we could sign a stud or two and still suck or pretty go with what we have and do surprisingly well.  Personally, I'm not going to give up on a season in April nor am I going to determine they will be a success.   At my age, I spend November through March watching things develop for good or bad.
This. Too early to be certain yet

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Got IU established back to being a tournament team and finished second in the big ten

Woodson actually being able to beat Purdue 3-1 just to name a couple.

I get it some people see the same thing and it  sees the positive where others will look for the negatives.

7 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Being better than the seasons before him. Realistically that’s where the goals of the program needed to be. If the point of this was to undermine the work of his first two seasons by getting someone to admit we did not compete for a final four, title, etc then your expectations may have been unrealistic and Cinderella-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It was seeking understanding by the term competing. I associate the word with conference titles, Final Fours/nattys, or competing within a game. I would agree we were competing with being better than the previous season despite the hype and penning of a conference championship and Sweet 16 last summer. We didn't actually compete to hang anything in the Hall last season.

Even without knowing the entire roster my expectation for next season is not taking a step back. That can be different for different people. Unlike some, the Woody experiment can be a success if he stabilizes the program with good finishes in the Big 1.o, tourney appearances, and the program not falling off a cliff. Hopefully this puts IU in a much better place next time we go searching for a coach.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It was seeking understanding by the term competing. I associate the word with conference titles, Final Fours/nattys, or competing within a game. I would agree we were competing with being better than the previous season despite the hype and penning of a conference championship and Sweet 16 last summer. We didn't actually compete to hang anything in the Hall last season.

Even without knowing the entire roster my expectation for next season is not taking a step back. That can be different for different people. Unlike some, the Woody experiment can be a success if he stabilizes the program with good finishes in the Big 1.o, tourney appearances, and the program not falling off a cliff. Hopefully this puts IU in a much better place next time we go searching for a coach.

Well we finished second and lost in the second round so not to far off. Good for you but some people like being positive

If we keep recycling coaches every few years then no it won't help anything. It seems like coaches come here and have recruiting.sicess for a couple of years but when the fans turn on the coach recruiting has gone down.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

Don't know  who this Ant Wright is but this was on YouTube. I think both teams f these guys will be more of a contributor than a lot think they will. Also putting the two transfers with these two makes for a good class and we will add more to that class.

Newton will depend on health…Cupps I think absolutely will…not downgrading Braden Smith but if he can impact as a freshman Cupps certainly can….maybe outside of strength I think Cupps is better at all facets of the game

13 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Well we finished second and lost in the second round so not to far off. Good for you but some people like being positive

If we keep recycling coaches every few years then no it won't help anything. It seems like coaches come here and have recruiting.sicess for a couple of years but when the fans turn on the coach recruiting has gone down.

You do realize how ignorant this stance continues to be right? Have fans turned on Woody so we should see the recruiting go down now? It could be argued the recruiting has been decent to good the last decade but the coaching hasn't gotten it done. The 2022-23 Hoosiers had as much or more talent than the majority of teams in the Big 1.o even without XJ.

What fans can do:
- get behind the program
- cheer for the team when there is something to cheer for
- be fanatical about the program
- be complete idiots sending players/coaches messages (although the program has the ability to control this)

What the coach can do:
- recruit players to build a complete team
- instill leadership and demand leadership/effort from his players
- decide who plays dependent on leadership/effort/ability
- determine style of play

I wonder which has a bigger impact on recruiting. Surely it's the fans that have the least impact. Could us recycling coaches have anything to do with their actions or are they just poor victims with multi-million dollar contracts not getting the job done?

29 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Just Sunday-night-bored scrolling and I’ll just say the notion of a 63 year old long-time NBA guy coming to coach his extremely restless alma mater as a first-time college coach is a display of stones, plain and simple.

The notion that he should have walked into that situation and:

-told two players to stay and the rest to walk

-then recruited the rest of his talent from a newly born transfer portal

-while concomitantly dealing with the wild Wild West of the NIL

-after never having recruited high schoolers to begin with

is ridiculous and really easy to postulate in hindsight. Even in hindsight it’s still ridiculous because me, everyone’s brother, and everyone’s brother’s girlfriends know Woody’s head would be on the public chopping block heading into year 3. Instead, he made progress in years one AND two. As much as we’d all love the success of this program to be a linear rise, it won’t be. Most things in life aren’t. The outlook of this team being a bottom dweller because we missed some portal kids also falls in the aforementioned ‘ridiculous’ category.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A case in study will be what St. John’s does next year.  Not from a 63 year old NBA perspective, but from the perspective of basically driving everyone out sans Joel Soriano and then completely rebuilding with the portal and NIL money.

7 hours ago, Scotty R said:

The front court still should be good and not far off from last year. Of course nobody will replace TJD production and why we need to upgrade positions 2-4. We also can win next year but it might need to be in another way

TJD better than Ware 

Reneau better than Race

JHS pretty even with XJ 

If Banks improves he should bring more than Kopp did. 

I think Sparks coming off the bench will be better than Duncomb so that is a win

Trayce averaged 21/11 with 3 blocks in 35 mpg this past year. What do you want to wager that our starting 4 and 5 combined don’t average that production this upcoming season? 

Losing Trayce is an enormous loss but a lot of people seem to be underestimating it because “now Woodson gets to run the team offense he wants,” even though his approach to the portal this year says otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I had thought he was leaning North Carolina but really hadn’t been following since wars committed.

He said it came down to Texas and Missouri. Those are the only two he took officials to and took an unofficial visit to Duke.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Trayce averaged 21/11 with 3 blocks in 35 mpg this past year. What do you want to wager that our starting 4 and 5 combined don’t average that production this upcoming season? 

Losing Trayce is an enormous loss but a lot of people seem to be underestimating it because “now Woodson gets to run the team offense he wants,” even though his approach to the portal this year says otherwise. 

I think Reneau and Ware will average double figures. I think Ware, Reneau and Sparks will average more than what TJD, Race and whoever backed them up last year.