Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

The Knecht situation seems funny to me. He's supposedly shut down his recruitment, deciding between UT and Oregon. Also supposedly a heavy Oregon lean. Yet he's almost a week past his UT visit, a team that has since filled their last scholarship (or at least will have to wait a while to know if any draft explorers are returning), but yet he hasn't committed to Oregon yet? Is he waiting on the UT scholly situation? If he is, he's not that high on Oregon. If he's high on Oregon, and has truly shut down his recruitment, why hasn't he committed there?

This is me just attempting to 1.) spin something positive - or - 2.) just jinx this thing into being fully over with

I mean, truly... the longer he isn't committed, the better for us lol ...as obvious as that is to say! 

Gonzaga making them money moves.  Find target, get target.  The Hysterics know the cash flow and they said Zags are up there near Kentucky and Duke.

Sidenote- I'll never understand the excuses and the length at which some fans try to normalize Indiana University as a basketball destination.  WE ARE AS ELITE AS WE WANT TO BE.  The history is there.  The FANBASE is there.  The True NIL is there.  At some point it might get realized.  Someone needs to figure it out if we want to swim with the sharks.  

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Gonzaga making them money moves.  Find target, get target.  The Hysterics know the cash flow and they said Zags are up there near Kentucky and Duke.

Sidenote- I'll never understand the excuses and the length at which some fans try to normalize Indiana University as a basketball destination.  WE ARE AS ELITE AS WE WANT TO BE.  The history is there.  The FANBASE is there.  The True NIL is there.  At some point it might get realized.  Someone needs to figure it out if we want to swim with the sharks.  

What does this mean? 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sorry when every article that was written about Ware transferring from Oregon was about Indiana+Bama, after the initial "every school in the country is going to contact this kid" was over, meant... Indiana+Bama were the teams competing for him. 

I guess UCONN beat us to win the NC this season. If Arkansas was an option, we beat out like 30 school for Ware and I still don't know your point in all this. We did not beat Ark for Ware, we did beat out Bama, though. 

So again, I don't know why anything thinks we lost out on Knecht since his top two choices are Oregon and Tennessee.  If Ware wanted to be at Arkansas, he'd be there.  They wanted him.  But there isn't any reason to pursue a player deeply when they indicate they do not want to go there.  Do you think that Indiana and Alabama were the only teams that wanted Ware since articles only mentioned them?

And yes, if 30 teams contact a player, you have to beat out 29 of them to get the services of the player.  A player will eliminate quite of few of them on his own.  I'm not sure why it's a bad thing if a player likes your school well enough to eliminate others on his own.

11 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

The Knecht situation seems funny to me. He's supposedly shut down his recruitment, deciding between UT and Oregon. Also supposedly a heavy Oregon lean. Yet he's almost a week past his UT visit, a team that has since filled their last scholarship (or at least will have to wait a while to know if any draft explorers are returning), but yet he hasn't committed to Oregon yet? Is he waiting on the UT scholly situation? If he is, he's not that high on Oregon. If he's high on Oregon, and has truly shut down his recruitment, why hasn't he committed there?

This is me just attempting to 1.) spin something positive - or - 2.) just jinx this thing into being fully over with

IMO, there have been a lot of very strange recruiting processes this cycle.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

So again, I don't know why anything thinks we lost out on Knecht since his top two choices are Oregon and Tennessee.  If Ware wanted to be at Arkansas, he'd be there.  They wanted him.  But there isn't any reason to pursue a player deeply when they indicate they do not want to go there.  Do you think that Indiana and Alabama were the only teams that wanted Ware since articles only mentioned them?

And yes, if 30 teams contact a player, you have to beat out 29 of them to get the services of the player.  A player will eliminate quite of few of them on his own.  I'm not sure why it's a bad thing if a player likes your school well enough to eliminate others on his own.

I don't necessarily know that I would say we did "lose out on Knecht", I certainly didn't say that.  I also don't see why this matters? 

The guy originally said "Indiana just beat out Arkansas for Ware" No, IU didn't. If that is true, just say "Indiana beat out the entire country for Ware". With the whole context of "Indiana is easier to sell to recruit because look-- we have dusty banners and are a basketball first school."

Indiana beat out Bama. Damn good W, too. 

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

You are right on your last sentence and IU means nothing to the “social hierarchy.”  I don’t get why so many of our fans can’t see that. 

our only advantage over probably 30 some programs is our staff and we have some NiL $. That is it. They beat us in all other areas.

I disagree.  In what other areas that matter?  

We are considered still by almost everyone a Blueblood.  Like 7 schools stake that claim.  

We've lacked in not having an identity.  We want to be a blueblood but don't behave like one with recruiting.  If you aren't going to get blueblood recruiting results you need to be a great coach, developer, and talent evaluator with a system.  We've generally struggled with all of these things and have had varied success with recruiting.  Zeller, TJD, Yogi got us a lot of wins. 

But even the best coaches are always looking for the best players because they go hand in hand.  We need to get more great players either through recruiting power or talent evaluation and we don't have enough of either of those.  

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I know. My father-in-law went to Slippery Rock U. So I got a chuckle when I read that.

...Too funny! One of our pitchers from our travel softball team signed with them a handful of years ago. I had never heard of them until then.

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I disagree.  In what other areas that matter?  

We are considered still by almost everyone a Blueblood.  Like 7 schools stake that claim.  

We've lacked in not having an identity.  We want to be a blueblood but don't behave like one with recruiting.  If you aren't going to get blueblood recruiting results you need to be a great coach, developer, and talent evaluator with a system.  We've generally struggled with all of these things and have had varied success with recruiting.  Zeller, TJD, Yogi got us a lot of wins. 

But even the best coaches are always looking for the best players because they go hand in hand.  We need to get more great players either through recruiting power or talent evaluation and we don't have enough of either of those.  

So how do we not act like a blue blood in recruiting

Maybe what others are telling you why we are not getting the results in recruiting is correct.  Kids today couldn't care less what IU did on the 70's and 80's so history isn't a huge sell.  Kids care about about glitz and glamour when it comes to facilities and IU facilities isn't anything special.  Also I do believe that the big ten conference hurts recruiting the elite talent

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't necessarily know that I would say we did "lose out on Knecht", I certainly didn't say that.  I also don't see why this matters? 

The guy originally said "Indiana just beat out Arkansas for Ware" No, IU didn't. If that is true, just say "Indiana beat out the entire country for Ware". With the whole context of "Indiana is easier to sell to recruit because look-- we have dusty banners and are a basketball first school."

Indiana beat out Bama. Damn good W, too. 

I would say we are both being consistent on how we view losing out on commits because while you might not say we lost out on Knecht, I would.  Just a difference of definitions.  It seems that the staff really did/does want Knecht.  If we didn't, we wasted a lot of time and resources recruiting him.  IMO, schools lose out on over 90% of the players they recruit.  The difference between the Ware/Arkansas and Knecht/Indiana situation is Arkansas can afford misses.  IU seems to be focused on very specific players to the point where missing can be brutal, Arkansas casts a wide net (about two weeks ago an Arkansas website had said there were 83 confirmed players that Arkansas had contacted in the portal).  But the 5% of the players that Musselman recruits that he gets are very good which is why he wins the portal game.

22 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

We are a blue blood maybe to some fans. Not to recruits and they don’t care. I addressed this many times on what it is. Fans don’t want to believe it. 

The blueblood status means little in itself but in the day and age of NIL opportunities it means ALOT.  That can be leveraged into opportunities that don't exist at the same level for other schools.  Look at the NILstore thing the other day.  3 of the 10 top performers with Indiana players.  The social media follwers, we are top 5.  That meant little in the past.  That means much more now.  

So, if the players and recruits "don't care" someone might want to inform them of their NIL opportunities.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I would say we are both being consistent on how we view losing out on commits because while you might not say we lost out on Knecht, I would.  Just a difference of definitions.  It seems that the staff really did/does want Knecht.  If we didn't, we wasted a lot of time and resources recruiting him.  IMO, schools lose out on over 90% of the players they recruit.  The difference between the Ware/Arkansas and Knecht/Indiana situation is Arkansas can afford misses.  IU seems to be focused on very specific players to the point where missing can be brutal, Arkansas casts a wide net (about two weeks ago an Arkansas website had said there were 83 confirmed players that Arkansas had contacted in the portal).  But the 5% of the players that Musselman recruits that he gets are very good which is why he wins the portal game.

To me we didn't lose our because he didn't even come for a campus visit or a home visit. Just reaching out and talking with a player isn't that in depth of the recruiting process. 

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

To me we didn't lose our because he didn't even come for a campus visit or a home visit. Just reaching out and talking with a player isn't that in depth of the recruiting process. 

To my line of thinking, not getting a player to campus when you really want him is a bigger loss than being able to get him to campus and then committing elsewhere.  If not getting visits from guys you really target becomes a trend, it doesn't bode well.  C'est la vie.  Different definitions for different people.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

To my line of thinking, not getting a player to campus when you really want him is a bigger loss than being able to get him to campus and then committing elsewhere.  If not getting visits from guys you really target becomes a trend, it doesn't bode well.  C'est la vie.  Different definitions for different people.

We can't make Knecht be interested. 

Just now, btownqb said:

We can't make Knecht be interested. 

Agree.  But if pitching your program doesn't spark interest I find that's a bigger fail than at least getting a player interested enough to at least visit.  But in the end, recruiting almost always ends in failure.

To my knowledge, IU has only gotten three players on official visits from the portal.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree.  But if pitching your program doesn't spark interest I find that's a bigger fail than at least getting a player interested enough to at least visit.  But in the end, recruiting almost always ends in failure.

To my knowledge, IU has only gotten three players on official visits from the portal.

Yeah, but they've gotten 2 of em to commit/sign...

Indiana won't be as attractive to some kids like it is to others. Our history won't mean as much, etc. I have a feeling the staff may be using a different approach...such as let's keep it quiet for now. Guarantee they're working several hours a day behind the scenes.