Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Little late for this year but next year the staff might have to consider casting a wider net for portal players.  Read a good analogy on another site talking about your portal success rate and how big of a net you cast.  In simplistic terms, if your portal success rate is 10%, you probably need a large funnel filled with a large number of targets.  The higher your portal success rate is, the smaller the funnel needs to be.   And while this analogy was directed towards portal recruiting, the concept applies to your high school recruiting as well.   

34 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Well  in the last 25 years we have had 6 coaches, 4AD's and 4 presidents.  These people are who gets all the blame yet we have changed them on average every 5-6 years and still nothing changed. The fans are the only one constant and some of the fan bases actions have been detrimental to the program. 

Every thinks Hoosier Hysterics guys are great but their actions has not always helped. 

I'm not sure I trust those two dudes making NIL deals for us either. 

With and without portal additions, under Woodson IUBB has made progress two straight years.

1. Both years were tournament teams,
  2. the second team went farther,
  3. did better in conference, and
  4. beat Purdue twice;
  5. all without our starting point guard.

Good programs have:

• functional cultures,
  • plenty of talent,
  • a staff that adapts to their roster's strengths,
  • an effective on-court system, and 
  • the mental fortitude to persevere through injuries and bad stretches.

So far, the Woodson era seems to have been able to check all of those boxes. 

Each year begins as a mystery; you never can be sure which player takes a leap forward, and which player that is expected to take a leap forward does not. See; Galloway, Trey and Bates, Tamar. One of them played a ton with the ball in his hands and shot very well from distance; the other was borderline five star player Tamar Bates.

So, while it is expected that Reneau will be a go-to, Sparks may end up improving a ton and be that guy, and Reneau may disappoint .. or not. CJ Gunn and Jakai Newton? Neither may surprise ... but each is talented enough to be very valuable. Other than Anthony Leal, each current player can be very effective; you just don't know. As long as the talent is there, the commonalities that enable team success are in the system and culture more so than as if we're picking a fantasy football roster.

So ... IU will have a roster of 12 or 13 scholarship players that will have enough talent to compete well into the upper half of the B1G next year. It's fun seeing how the pieces are assembled to make that happen.  

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure I trust those two dudes making NIL deals for us either. 

Lord knows we've had enough threads devolve into back and forths on those two, BUT...I've been thinking this since they started. Even if it isn't something intentionally nefarious on their part, I feel like that's going to burn us at some point.

I totally get people being bummed we didn’t get Ledlum, even when it seemed like he was a lock. Stuff happens and it seems like he changed his mind from everything that was shared. However, while he would have been a very good get, he wasn’t a great shooter, which we sorely need more of.

Hopefully the staff can get in good with some guards who can light it up. However, I’m also excited to see what Gunn and Banks bring this year. I think Woodson and staff have proven enough to warrant some patience from the fan base. I’m not the biggest Woodson supporter but he has done a very nice job up to this point. 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Little late for this year but next year the staff might have to consider casting a wider net for portal players.  Read a good analogy on another site talking about your portal success rate and how big of a net you cast.  In simplistic terms, if your portal success rate is 10%, you probably need a large funnel filled with a large number of targets.  The higher your portal success rate is, the smaller the funnel needs to be.   And while this analogy was directed towards portal recruiting, the concept applies to your high school recruiting as well.   

Not accusing or blaming here, just merely thinking out loud.....Would some or a few of these "wider nets" being cast and portal successes be a result of some "behind the scenes" cheating? Again, I'm just curious and am not pointing a finger at anyone specific. However, it does happen and has been going on, from what others have said during this new NIL/Portal recruiting era.

Someone posted either this board or HSN something to the extent, "If you can't beat them, join them!" They were basically saying, "If they are cheating and getting good results, why not do the same?" I don't want anything to do with that type of mentality and I know Woodson and Co. feel the same way. I guess my wish and hope for this staff is to continue work harder that anyone else, but continue to do it honestly and honorably.

I totally get people being bummed we didn’t get Ledlum, even when it seemed like he was a lock. Stuff happens and it seems like he changed his mind from everything that was shared. However, while he would have been a very good get, he wasn’t a great shooter, which we sorely need more of.
Hopefully the staff can get in good with some guards who can light it up. However, I’m also excited to see what Gunn and Banks bring this year. I think Woodson and staff have proven enough to warrant some patience from the fan base. I’m not the biggest Woodson supporter but he has done a very nice job up to this point. 
After a couple days went by after his visit and he didn't commit I never thought it was a lock.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Another point that has been made: many of the truly best portal transfers commit late, late, late.

After or about May 1st last year, the following players were in the portal and still uncommitted:

• Tyrese Hunter
  • Terrence Shannon
  • Grant Sherfield
  • Ricky Council Jr.
  • Keion Brooks
  • Keyontae Johnson
  • Courtney Ramey
  • Matthew Mayer
  • Kevin McCullar
  • Kendric Davis (on 4/29)
  • Isiaih Mosely
  • Norchad Omier (on 4/26)
  • Baylor Scheierman

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Another point that has been made: many of the truly best portal transfers commit late, late, late.

After or about May 1st last year, the following players were in the portal and still uncommitted:

• Tyrese Hunter
  • Terrence Shannon
  • Grant Sherfield
  • Ricky Council Jr.
  • Keion Brooks
  • Keyontae Johnson
  • Courtney Ramey
  • Matthew Mayer
  • Kevin McCullar
  • Kendric Davis (on 4/29)
  • Isiaih Mosely
  • Norchad Omier (on 4/26)
  • Baylor Scheierman

Oh wow. Thank you for posting that. 

Ughh... we should have just gotten Brooks and told Race he's going to the bench and like it or leave. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh wow. 

Ughh... we should have just gotten Brooks and told Race he's going to the bench and like it or leave. 

Right?!!?

A starting lineup of Norchad Omier, Keion Brooks, Keyontae Johnson, Ricky Council, and Kendric Davis with Tyrese Hunter and Baylor Scheierman off the bench would kick some serious college basketball backside.

And all were still available at least through April 26th, and most much later, last season.

31 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

People are pointing out the success that Arkansas has had with the portal. That school seems to contact every player entering the portal as soon as they enter. I've joked that they probably have someone who's full time job is to watch the portal and contact every player immediately after they show up in it. So they do cast a large net.

Recruiting is like dating, it's a numbers game.

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That's how I found my wife!

26 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Lord knows we've had enough threads devolve into back and forths on those two, BUT...I've been thinking this since they started. Even if it isn't something intentionally nefarious on their part, I feel like that's going to burn us at some point.

I'm ignorant of how things go on behind the scenes here. If I'm not mistaken, the coaches cannot be the ones brokering the NIL deals, right? I know the HH guys have one of the collectives, and my impression there was they were sort of managing the incoming donations plus going out and finding partnerships for players? But please tell me these two weirdos are NOT the ones talking to and negotiating directly with the players/prospects?

2 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

That type of guy worked back then. You need more of a scorer than shooter now. They also need to have quickness for D and great ball handling to push it in tandem with X. Especially with what IUs roster makeup is. 

Miller K was pretty close to a Nick Z and he was a liability many times. 

You need another JHS or Tamar who can be consistent. I actually believe that could be Gunn but he was dreadful shooting last year. 

They really only need 1 guy like that and then you can fill in or save a spot and work to develop what we have. He is out there somewhere and as others have said, that wasn’t Ledlum so in that case, we didn’t lost much there. 

Zeisloft playing his role in 2014-16 would have absolutely would have worked in the offense last season. Would it have been better if he could have driven and finished at the rim? Yes, players that can do both at a high level typically don't stay around college ball that long. Zeisloft would have never been confused for a good defender but he would have fit in on most nights with IU's defense.

I would agree they are pretty similar with the main difference between Zeisloft took and made more 3s than Kopp. They're numbers for rebounding, assisting, and shooting are probably similar and defense was about the same. I would say Zeisloft had a little more impact on winning than Kopp. That 2015/16 team had a lot more leadership than this team.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

Well  in the last 25 years we have had 6 coaches, 4AD's and 4 presidents.  These people are who gets all the blame yet we have changed them on average every 5-6 years and still nothing changed. The fans are the only one constant and some of the fan bases actions have been detrimental to the program. 

Every thinks Hoosier Hysterics guys are great but their actions has not always helped. 

Who/what do you believe has an impact on the program winning and how would you rank them?

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Jiminy christmas people.  Full on melt down mode because some dude from Harvard committed to a hillbilly football school.  We all knew this would be a "rebuilding" year.  The portal isn't the holly grail.  And until we get new cheerleading uniforms, we're doomed.  

Take a break guys and go enjoy the worlds greatest college weekend.  :) 

A lot of people need to touch grass today *wink wink

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Zeisloft playing his role in 2014-16 would have absolutely would have worked in the offense last season. Would it have been better if he could have driven and finished at the rim? Yes, players that can do both at a high level typically don't stay around college ball that long. Zeisloft would have never been confused for a good defender but he would have fit in on most nights with IU's defense.

I would agree they are pretty similar with the main difference between Zeisloft took and made more 3s than Kopp. They're numbers for rebounding, assisting, and shooting are probably similar and defense was about the same. I would say Zeisloft had a little more impact on winning than Kopp. That 2015/16 team had a lot more leadership than this team.

Z played before they moved the 3pt line back, again. 15/16 just had more ppl that could create for others. Zeisloft had a quicker trigger, it served him well. I think Miller was better overall. Miller's effectiveness diminished some when XJ went out. TG/Bates don't have the passing ability or the ability to breakdown a defense like XJ. 

Man we had nice pieces if XJ stays healthy. sucks. 

32 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Not accusing or blaming here, just merely thinking out loud.....Would some or a few of these "wider nets" being cast and portal successes be a result of some "behind the scenes" cheating? Again, I'm just curious and am not pointing a finger at anyone specific. However, it does happen and has been going on, from what others have said during this new NIL/Portal recruiting era.

Someone posted either this board or HSN something to the extent, "If you can't beat them, join them!" They were basically saying, "If they are cheating and getting good results, why not do the same?" I don't want anything to do with that type of mentality and I know Woodson and Co. feel the same way. I guess my wish and hope for this staff is to continue work harder that anyone else, but continue to do it honestly and honorably.

No. Just no. We're not using the "Indiana doesn't win because we're the only school who is moral and does things the right way" argument. 

Everyone pays players now. We also currently have assistants who have gotten their hands "dirty" at other schools. You can take both of those statements however you want, but no, Indiana isn't "cleaner" than other schools. 

If we lose out on a recruit, we lose out on a recruit. If our program isn't as successful as nother school, it's just not as successful as another school. 

That's a worn-out excuse that Purdue fans have used for 40 years to explain the lack of their NCAA tourney success. Let's not use it here...

Edited by Silat Player

32 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

I don't know if others have said the same but I'm very much of the mindset of getting it done. We have "cheated" in the past and I'm sure we're doing some grey area stuff at the moment. I believe we have the 100% guaranteed that one of our staff is following a kid from Arkansas that isn't in the portal but that could be in the future. It's all about perspective. Do you really believe IU hasn't talked with kids through back channels who haven't entered the portal?