Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

26 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Here is a thought to change the conversation a little. 

It seems like the schools and fans are almost getting enamored with transfer portal. Maybe the way for IU to be different is to use their minutes, roster spot, NIL, etc to go after top high school guys that might be getting ignored some. Less roster spots open at some of the top place, etc. I mean, we quickly forget JHS was a top guy in the conference and Malik for sure contributed well and will do even more this year.

That might be a way to flip things a little. I saw a stat not long ago on average recruit rank in the Big 10 and it wasn’t good at all compared to other conferences. IU was still the best but nothing like those other conferences. Now may be the time to change that while everyone else is using all the roster spots and NIL for transfers and win now mode. 

It also wasn’t long ago that we would have expected and been excited about a Sophomore Gunn, Banks etc. might be underselling that some as well. 

I'm confused, so help me understand. Your solution is to go after highly rated high school players?

Isn't that what we're already doing, with varying degrees of success?

4 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'm confused, so help me understand. Your solution is to go after highly rated high school players?

Isn't that what we're already doing, with varying degrees of success?

I thought we were.  Maybe I'm confused and we're not actually recruiting the likes of Bidunga, Sisley, McNeeley etc.

8 hours ago, iubb said:

or IU needs to pull a UCLA and switch conferences. 

IU is lucky to be in the B1G. If we were in a lesser conference we wouldn’t survive realignment. We have possibly the worst football program in P5 and our basketball program (a distance second in consideration in these matters) is a historical relic that hasn’t been relevant in 20 years.  

I guess we’ll see if UCLA suddenly falls off a cliff when they join the B1G. I suspect they’ll still recruit just fine, tho. 

What worries me the most is the fact that since I think Cupps in late 2021, IU hasn't received a single commitment (high school or portal) from a guard. You win with guards in March. I don't think this roster is as bad as folks think, but it's not very good either...I really thought after JHS' season IU would be a hot spot for some guys in the portal. 

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

What worries me the most is the fact that since I think Cupps in late 2021, IU hasn't received a single commitment (high school or portal) from a guard. You win with guards in March. I don't think this roster is as bad as folks think, but it's not very good either...

Agree and think we need more guards as well

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

That being said...I sure hope there is some player development this summer. I said yesterday is all else fails I'd like to see Cupps start or get good minutes. Not sure he's ready to be a scorer but I can see him having success running the offense. 

37 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, the SEC is a better basketball conference than the Big 10. IU was a 4 seed in the tournament this year. Arkansas was a 3 seed in Musselman’s second season when they made the elite eight. IU easily would’ve been a 3 seed if we won a few of the east games we blew. 

But, I recognize that blaming the prior coach for the current coach’s shortcomings is a popular thing to do for IU fans. The same thing happened with Archie. It was all Crean’s fault for leaving him such a bad roster. At what point will IU’s current coach’s shortcomings become his own fault and not his predecessor’s?

This last season, it seemed to me, that the lack of good outside shooting, lack of playmaking perimeter guards and wings, lack of good defense at times, lack of roster depth exposed by injuries to our starters all contributed to the end result.  We actually ended up generally where many of us thought or predicted at the start of the season.  It is so very important to have a point guard that gets the offense started quickly.  Defense is paramount, too.

We really need sharpshooters and people that can create...and a better defense.  Not to mention players that go after loose balls.  

What I do not understand about recruiting is why do we go after wings that do not shoot really well from outside or at the line... 

Cupps is a fine addition imho.  From the linked article:  Cupps scored 16 points on 7-for-14 shooting, 2-for-4 from 3-point range, with seven assists, six rebounds and zero turnovers. He said the style of play was definitely different from the United States. Every player could pass and shoot, and there was constant screening, moving and cutting, with little focus on isolation basketball.  Indiana Commit Gabe Cupps Wins Tournament in Italy, Excited to Join Hoosiers - Sports Illustrated Indiana Hoosiers News, Analysis and More

6 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

That being said...I sure hope there is some player development this summer. I said yesterday is all else fails I'd like to see Cupps start or get good minutes. Not sure he's ready to be a scorer but I can see him having success running the offense. 

I think as a 4 star we should expect that level of contribution.  But if X does not get his waiver or either have an injury then we are suddenly playing with just 1 pg again. 

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

We do. 

That said, people are upset with what we've landed but 247 ranks IU 5th overall and 1st in the Big Ten in transfer commitment rankings.  Obviously that all hinges on Ware being as good as advertised.  At this point, only one Big team has landed more than 2 transfer players -- Michigan -- and that team had their best player transfer out.

Bottom line is IU does need to bring in a guard/wing.  Truth is that IU probably is in more need of a shooting guard than small forward.  Gallo is more of a 3 than 2 and Banks can play 3.  Identify a player to fill that spot even if they aren't the most sought after -- find a shooter.  

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

We do. 

That said, people are upset with what we've landed but 247 ranks IU 5th overall and 1st in the Big Ten in transfer commitment rankings.  Obviously that all hinges on Ware being as good as advertised.  At this point, only one Big team has landed more than 2 transfer players -- Michigan -- and that team had their best player transfer out.

Bottom line is IU does need to bring in a guard/wing.  Truth is that IU probably is in more need of a shooting guard than small forward.  Gallo is more of a 3 than 2 and Banks can play 3.  Identify a player to fill that spot even if they aren't the most sought after -- find a shooter.  

This...find a Zeisloft type. Someone that can get you a 2-3 3's a game

30 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

What worries me the most is the fact that since I think Cupps in late 2021, IU hasn't received a single commitment (high school or portal) from a guard. You win with guards in March. I don't think this roster is as bad as folks think, but it's not very good either...I really thought after JHS' season IU would be a hot spot for some guys in the portal. 

FWIW, while guard play is necessary to a title, the most important player in U Conn's title run last season wasn't a guard.  You need talent everywhere.

47 minutes ago, str8baller said:

IU is lucky to be in the B1G. If we were in a lesser conference we wouldn’t survive realignment. We have possibly the worst football program in P5 and our basketball program (a distance second in consideration in these matters) is a historical relic that hasn’t been relevant in 20 years.  

I guess we’ll see if UCLA suddenly falls off a cliff when they join the B1G. I suspect they’ll still recruit just fine, tho. 

Incredibly lucky! If IU wasn’t in the big ten already, we would have a 0% chance of being invited into it.

And the big ten money we’re getting is such an advantage. With some of the bad contracts in other conferences (like the ACC) Indiana will be able to outspend the majority of P5 conference schools. There is no real reason we shouldn’t have a legit football program in 10 years.

49 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

When did Newton commit 

I hope our team is not on the floor.

glass half full, half empty, the current roster isn’t likely to compete for a conference championship, likely nowhere close and that is concerning.

the transfer portal is supposed to be that equalizer, when a team loses as much as indiana, has open starting roles and nil money to give away… there is no reason for us to struggle.

the blame on the conference and style etc is a joke - has anyone watched Tennessee play? They win 50-45 playing bully ball.

Woodson loves IU but he needs to get more involved with recruits, both high school and transfers and not put all the work on his assistants

I do not think the consternation about missing out on transfer portal kids or even HS kids would be bad if we could have postseason success.  The program has improved under Woody but last years team could have done so much more.  Injuries definitely impacted how our season went but once again we did not live up to preseason expectations.  Had we made a deep run last year then I think we would be fine with a rebuild (assuming this still means a NCAA appearance) year and then another launch next year.  This was the team built for a deep run and we did not get it done.

When you look at next year, the fact that the staff is chasing starters at the 2 and the 3 still suggests they do not have confidence that our current roster has the starter talent in those positions to contend at a high level.  By their actions they have suggested we need starter help at those positions, but we have not landed our top priorities there.  

When you factor in Woody's age and some of the comments about him not being as involved in recruiting as other head coaches then you have to think his window is 5 years or less.  If we want to build on what we had we cannot miss priority targets.