Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Does any team/coach do that? 
I don't pay enough attention tbh. Does that make it right? To not put your team in the best position to win is malpractice as a coach. We have clearly seen times where that would've benefited the team.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm with you here. Barring something outrageous or an injury, 99.9% of all coaches roll their same starters from the beginning of the game to the second half. 
I'll ask you same question then. Does that make it the right choice? Sometimes doing something different is how you gain an advantage.

11 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I don't pay enough attention tbh. Does that make it right? To not put your team in the best position to win is malpractice as a coach. We have clearly seen times where that would've benefited the team.

Yes, it does make it the right choice in my eyes, CMW and other coaches know their team sooooooo much better than we do. 

Maybe you could say... "I think it would be interesting if we did that" but labeling it "malpractice" or something that "drives you nuts" is just strange to me simply because it's not something that happens, anywhere. Not every single coach can be wrong about that. 

Yes, it does make it the right choice in my eyes, CMW and other coaches know their team sooooooo much better than we do. 
Maybe you could say... "I think it would be interesting if we did that" but labeling it "malpractice" or something that "drives you nuts" is just strange to me simply because it's not something that happens, anywhere. Not every single coach can be wrong about that. 
I guess if I were the coach and I had a lineup that had just cut a 10 pt deficit to 1 over last 8 minutes (for example). I'm coming out with that same lineup rather than the one that dug the original hole. I guess that's stupid because others don't do that

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

I guess if I were the coach and I had a lineup that had just cut a 10 pt deficit to 1 over last 8 minutes (for example). I'm coming out with that same lineup rather than the one that dug the original hole. I guess that's stupid because others don't do that

I never said it was stupid, nor did I act like you were dumb. It's just not malpractice, or something that is ever done consistently. 

I never said it was stupid, nor did I act like you were dumb. It's just not malpractice, or something that is ever done consistently. 
I wasn't suggesting that you were. It was more to the point of "just do what everyone else does". Guess I'd like to know then why more don't do that. I get continuity, minute roles, sub patterns Yada Yada but just like "if it ain't broke don't fix it" there's something to "if it is broke then fix it".

3 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

I think we’ll see a jump in Trey’s play again this season. He was already starting to shoot better as last year progressed.

But if necessary, Trey would have no problem coming off the bench. Best part of Galloway is he’s all about winning.

Very possible.  Hopefully he will be able to participate fully in off-season activities (no injuries or surgerys).

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I wasn't suggesting that you were. It was more to the point of "just do what everyone else does". Guess I'd like to know then why more don't do that. I get continuity, minute roles, sub patterns Yada Yada but just like "if it ain't broke don't fix it" there's something to "if it is broke then fix it".

It's not a mid game type thing to fix, imo. Those lineups/rotations weren't built IN GAME, they were built in HOURS of practice. And a couple of possessions of struggle, in my eyes, shouldn't change that. 

But, we didn't really see prolonged, often issues with certain lineups, right? Like it wasn't like EVERY end of the half we were playing well and that saved us from a poor first 12 mins, for example. 

It's not a mid game type thing to fix, imo. Those lineups/rotations weren't built IN GAME, they were built in HOURS of practice. And a couple of possessions of struggle, in my eyes, shouldn't change that. 
But, we didn't really see prolonged, often issues with certain lineups, right? Like it wasn't like EVERY end of the half we were playing well and that saved us from a poor first 12 mins, for example. 
This last season not so much but previous year yes we did see those problems prolonged at starts of both halves iirc

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

IMO, it depends on who you are coaching against.  A good coach will use halftime to counter what worked against them in the first half.

IMO, while getting a shooter is very important for IU, it’s really domino #3 because there are a lot of shooters in the portal….definitely more so than stretch 4’s, posts, guys who can score at multiple levels.  58 of 247’s top 100 rated players in the portal are guards.  For comparison, only 12 were centers.

On 3/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Western Kentucky guard Dayvion McKnight.  6’1”.  Averaged 16.5 points, 5 rebounds, 3.8 assists.  Will have two years left.

Iona guard Willie Clayton.  16.8 ppg.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him follow Pitino.

McKnight to Xavier

Clayton to Florida

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I wouldn't say it was ever common, but you would see it from time to time in days gone by.  If you have a guy playing particularly well or poor then it should at least be considered.  I think a lot of the frustration is that it should be in play from game to game.  You make a plan to attack each opponent and those lineups may not always be the same.  You do see that occasionally elsewhere but not much in Bloomington for a while.