Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I know this is portal talk but player development is key to our roster as well.  I have watched IU since the late 70's and have enjoyed seeing players get better the more they stay.  Not just better because they are older but some players make more noticeable jumps.  Felt Trey's shooting improved a ton for this year and I thought TJD became an incredible 3/4 other than the lack of shooting.  

I can see some athletic potential in guys like Gunn and Banks and hope they make a big jump this summer.  If they do, then they are a bigger add than some of the portal guys but if they just marginally improve or stay the same then we need some instant portal starters.

As I look at the team, I wonder who will be our #1 guy to go to when we need clutch buckets.  If that is going to be Malik or even X both need to improve a lot this offseason.  I see a lot of guys who can be pieces, even starters, of a good team but replacing TJD, JHS as our top players will require special players if we want to continue as a top 20 team.  

...just look at the tremendous growth Victor had from his first year to the next. He was an athletic bench player. It's hard to believe that Vic's freshman year, he played in 32 games, only starting in 5. 

12 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

He doesn't fit until he commits to us, then he's the perfect fit.

You couldn't have said that any better! We will turn tail on a potential, sought after recruit/player at the blink of an eye. I look at it like this. You broke up with me, I'm done with you! lol

4 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

...just look at the tremendous growth Victor had from his first year to the next. He was an athletic bench player. It's hard to believe that Vic's freshman year, he played in 32 games, only starting in 5. 

When was the last IU player that made anywhere close to the same jump as Vic?

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

When was the last IU player that made anywhere close to the same jump as Vic?

It doesn't matter..... My point was Vic was a raw, under the radar recruit, that Coach Crean found. He saw something that many others didn't. Coach Woodson may or may not have one on his roster now. We will see.

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

I actually had OG with Vic in my last post, but he rocketed a lot faster that Vic. Man, just imagine if he wouldn't have injured his leg his sophomore year?

OG is such a good NBA player also...even after his jump and getting drafted, I did not see him being as effective on both the offensive and defensive side as he is. Leading the league in steals and avg. like 17 pts. per game. He just kept developing. 

14 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

His jump was almost all on him too. He was in Cook Hall 24/7 that summer. There weren't any coaches helping him either. I mean they maybe told him what to work on but took that and ran with it

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would say that OG was on that path.

I would agree on OG. There have been several who have steadily developed their game but few who have really made that massive jump. Steady improvement every offseason from the majority of your core group can take you a long way if you start with the right talent.

9 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

It doesn't matter..... My point was Vic was a raw, under the radar recruit, that Coach Crean found. He saw something that many others didn't. Coach Woodson may or may not have one on his roster now. We will see.

There may or may not be... good to know.

Sure it matters, it's a likelihood and environment scenario. You recruit a certain player with characteristics that improve their chances. You create an environment for development. This was my point about TJD developing differently in a different situation.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

His jump was almost all on him too. He was in Cook Hall 24/7 that summer. There weren't any coaches helping him either. I mean they maybe told him what to work on but took that and ran with it

It seemed like there were many players entering Cook Hall or already in Cook Hall every time I walked by there a few years back. I'm not surprised CTM has that program going in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I feel like this is the main predictor of improvement. You gotta have guys who live the game. Last offseason we heard a lot about JHS living in the gym and Kopp seems like that guy, is there anyone else who the staff has talked about as a great worker?

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

I feel like this is the main predictor of improvement. You gotta have guys who live the game. Last offseason we heard a lot about JHS living in the gym and Kopp seems like that guy, is there anyone else who the staff has talked about as a great worker?

you mean Cupps

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It seemed like there were many players entering Cook Hall or already in Cook Hall every time I walked by there a few years back. I'm not surprised CTM has that program going in the right direction.

I would agree that women have & had a few more people who live there than men do. 

I see things have really went down hill here without any news... Either way...

Caleb Love

Kadin Shedrick

Jamison Battle

Chris Ledlum

... I think we can get a couple of these dudes still and there are a ton of fish in the sea y'all. Lots of good players to go after still.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I see things have really went down hill here without any news... Either way...

Caleb Love

Kadin Shedrick

Jamison Battle

Chris Ledlum

... I think we can get a couple of these dudes still and there are a ton of fish in the sea y'all. Lots of good players to go after still.

Are you being positive? I love it. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Are you being positive? I love it. 

I mean how many players have entered the portal so far? How many are really good? Quite a few. And quite a few guards that are really good. And plenty of serviceable big men. We got this right? Right.