Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

....Here, Here! Finally....OMG. Yes, X is and elite level PG and if he is granted another year at IU, we will be in decent shape. Another thing, I don't think people are giving Cupp's potential, much attention either. I'm not saying he is going to walk in a start, but he is someone who will definitely surprise many people. I mean,....how many of us thought 1st TEAM ALL BIGTEN freshman, Braeden Smith would have done what he did for Purdue? I know they have different gifts, but man....I'm super excited about incoming freshmen Cupps and Newton.

This is our current roster. It’s a bottom of the conference kind of roster. Woody needs to knock the off-season out of the park and so far he hasn’t at all.

Currently:

Guards (pending Xavier's likely waiver)

1. X Johnson
  2. A Leal
  3. T Galloway
  4. G Cupps

Wings

1. K Banks
  2. CJ Gunn
  3. J Newton

Posts/Bigs

1. M Reneau
  2. P Sparks

7 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Honest question. This is not directed at just you. I have seen lots of posters today saying similar. 

What has went so bad? How are we trending wrong? Not a single portal target we have had has committed anywhere yet. Love is just one (while also no official) and for all we know the zoom call had him hearing things from Woodson he didn’t want to hear. Remember what TJD said about his first Woodson meeting? Maybe Love didn’t like that. Would we even want him if he wasn’t willing to hear that kind of feedback? 

This past season was pretty darn good with the injuries. We also have lots of positive momentum with potentially 2 players drafted round 1 and neither was projected as so this time last year. That show’s development and helps recruiting. 

While we need help, I don’t think this roster is the crap heap many seem to think it is. We should expect some growth from our current players. That still happens.  Also think many are under selling the huge benefit a PG like X is. 

Just seems like so many here like to pile into the negative quick. Things are solid and trending right until they aren’t and we are far from that. This time last year we didn’t even have Malik or JHS. Still lots of time. 

Not saying we’re in a bad spot right this moment. What I was saying is that we have to land players this offseason for next season and 24 or we’re going to start to lose the progress we’ve made. I’m not panicking yet but that is the reality of the situation.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is our current roster. It’s a bottom of the conference kind of roster. Woody needs to knock the off-season out of the park and so far he hasn’t at all.

Currently:

1. X Johnson
  2. A Leal
  3. T Galloway
  4. G Cupps

Wings

1. K Banks
  2. CJ Gunn
  3. J Newton

Posts/Bigs

1. M Reneau
  2. P Sparks

That's nine of the thirteen.

Kind of like saying "This pot of chili is currently at the bottom of the cookoff" when the cook has only added two-thirds of the ingredients.

For instance, Illinois' roster is currently at Dainja, Rodgers, Goode, Moretti, Redd, Severn, Harris, Warden. Eight players and only one of them who averaged either 12 minutes or 5 points per game last year. Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, and many others are in a similar or much worse situation. And unlike some of those programs we have a strong NIL program to help attract talent.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Kind of like saying "This pot of chili is currently at the bottom of the cookoff" when the cook has only added two-thirds of the ingredients.

For instance, Illinois' roster is currently at Dainja, Rodgers, Goode, Moretti, Redd, Severn, Harris, Warden. Eight players and one guy who averaged either 12 minutes or 5 points per game last year. Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, and many others are in a similar situation.

Like I said, Woody needs to knock the off-season out of the park and so far he hasn’t at all. We will find players to fill the last 3-4 spots (depending on if Woody want a full roster). But we can’t just fill the spots with warm bodies if we want to avoid a big step backwards. Our prospects next year are extremely reliant on who we get in the portal and I’m not feeling great about that.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Like I said, Woody needs to knock the off-season out of the park and so far he hasn’t at all. We will find players to fill the last 3-4 spots (depending on if Woody want a full roster). But we can’t just fill the spots with warm bodies if we want to avoid a big step backwards. Our prospects next year are extremely reliant on who we get in the portal and I’m not feeling great about that.

Okay - we need to have some hits in the portal. So far we have one very good one. Very good as in winning 20 minute B1G rotation piece multi-year player. That's a big deal. 

We will most certainly not get five great portal additions - every time we get a good one that makes it harder for others to envision themselves with a key role at IU.

If we could get Ledlum to go with Sparks I am already satisfied with our roster for next year.

X, Gallo, Banks/Gunn, Ledlum, Reneau, with a 14/8 guy from a 20 win team off the bench. And I suspect we will do better than that.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Well, you shouldn't feel great about it because so many guys haven't even entered the portal yet. We didn't get Miller Kopp two years ago till April 20th. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You're not wrong. The prospects of next season are going to rely heavily on who Indiana gets in the portal, while also on improvement from guys like Banks, Reneau and Gunn. 

With that said, again I agree that Woodson needs to hit the portal out of the park (though I think we disagree a bit on what that actually means), but your stance that he hasn't yet is a bit dooms day. 

Nothing has happened yet. Nobody IU is targeting has made a decision yet. Woodson hasn't lost anybody that he's targeted yet. Maybe we reserve the dooms day until that happens?

It doesn't matter that we get the highest rated guys, it matters that we get the guys Woodson is targeting and all of them are still in play. 

For instance, Illinois' roster is currently at Dainja, Rodgers, Goode, Moretti, Redd, Severn, Harris, Warden. Eight players and one guy who averaged either 12 minutes or 5 points per game last year. Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, and many others are in a similar situation.

Or we could name the innumerable rosters that look great already would be another way to look at it.

Here’s my take.

X, Gallo, Reneau-we kinda know what we got. Reneau can be special. Will it be next year. We’ll see.

Banks, Gunn- potential at some point. Ideally not starters yet.

Sparks is a legit back up big. I think. The B1G could swallow him up, but I feel he’ll hold his own.

Cupps- my opinions are out there. I’m expecting backup minutes and not a huge + as a freshman on the court.

Newton-that injury worries me.

Leal- Woody seems destined to give him the Priller treatment.

4 extra pieces is huge. Hope isn’t lost but it’s a tough hill to climb. Imo we need 3 starter quality pieces to be at the top of the B1G and even then it’s how they gel, coaching etc. Michigan State will be strong, Purdue will be silly if Edey returns. If Maryland get Dickinson plus that recruiting class and Young they are up top. Illinois Nils as much as us, and they need arguably more the us. The NIL portal is gonna be tough. Lots of big spenders out there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Or we could name the innumerable rosters that look great already would be another way to look at it.

Here’s my take.

X, Gallo, Reneau-we kinda know what we got. Reneau can be special. Will it be next year. We’ll see.

Banks, Gunn- potential at some point. Ideally not starters yet.

Sparks is a legit back up big. I think. The B1G could swallow him up, but I feel he’ll hold his own.

Cupps- my opinions are out there. I’m expecting backup minutes and not a huge + as a freshman on the court.

Newton-that injury worries me.

Leal- Woody seems destined to give him the Priller treatment.

4 extra pieces is huge. Hope isn’t lost but it’s a tough hill to climb. Imo we need 3 starter quality pieces to be at the top of the B1G and even then it’s how they gel, coaching etc. Michigan State will be strong, Purdue will be silly if Edey returns. If Maryland get Dickinson plus that recruiting class and Young they are up top. Illinois Nils as much as us, and they need arguably more the us. The NIL portal is gonna be tough. Lots of big spenders out there.

I'm guessing we will get two more "starter quality" pieces, and a lower quality but playable additional big. If we could get three more that would be a grand slam home run touchdown level of unexpected awesomeness.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well, you shouldn't feel great about it because so many guys haven't even entered the portal yet. We didn't get Miller Kopp two years ago till April 20th. 

Do you know if there are guys that haven’t even entered yet that the IU staff knows are going to eventually do so and are interested in/plan on getting? 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Currently:

1. X Johnson
  2. A Leal
  3. T Galloway
  4. G Cupps

Wings

1. K Banks
  2. CJ Gunn
  3. J Newton

Posts/Bigs

1. M Reneau
  2. P Sparks

Why does he have to knock it out of the park? If he does, then that's incredible. Just because we aren't getting immediate results through the portal (3 weeks after the season ended) people are beginning to panic. SMH 

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

Do you know if there are guys that haven’t even entered yet that the IU staff knows are going to eventually do so and are interested in/plan on getting? 

I believe there are guys who IU have their done their homework on if they do hit the portal we will be ready. Do we know for sure they will hit the portal I'm not sure. But Adam Howard & Jordy have been working on this for a while now. 

2 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

FWIW, there are far more comments here about “people panicking” than there are comments with actual panicking.

It’s kinda a pre-panic. It’s a what if situation at hand.

Here’s some comfort for the board. Woody doesn’t want to embarrass the University. Woody is probably a 3-5 year guy. Woody probably understands a tanked season kills everything he’s done so far. Therefore, I genuinely believe he is going to do everything he can to put together a winner. If he can’t, then it’s bigger question time.

PS-the apparent recruiting misses for over a year are concerning but we need better talent and now we have 4 spots to play with we wouldn’t have had otherwise. So, silver lining time.