Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

We haven't even post really portal guys yet. None of the guys we have went after has committed elsewhere.

True. Hope remains, although even if we get our top SF and C prospect who are both heavily recruited by others we will be proud to crack the Rothstein 45. And that’s assuming we land our “top” targets.

Woody is gonna have a prove it year ahead of him.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

True. Hope remains, although even if we get our top SF and C prospect who are both heavily recruited by others we will be proud to crack the Rothstein 45. And that’s assuming we land our “top” targets.

Woody is gonna have a prove it year ahead of him.

Who cares what pre season rankings since it is 7 months before the first game. Only 1 final four team was in the pre season top 25 that came out right before the season.

43 minutes ago, Trish said:

Outside of JHS, I think the recruiting has been pretty “meh” so far in Woodson’s time. 

Looks like Indiana is in the race for 2024 and 2025 recruits, but we all know how patient Indiana fans are..

We snagged two highly rated recruits late in the game the last two offseasons after coaching changes to go along with JHS. They have been okay.

We're missing a lot that I don't think a highly rated frosh can change. At this point, I'd be happy with a few transfers that work, gel, and display some leadership. We need to figure out our program culture.

4 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Baylor had two starters on their championship team from Presbyterian and UNC Asheville

Some of you guys need to relax and get outside and get some fresh air. Step away from the portal news because some of you are taking this way to serious

Why? Shouldn't we just let them freak out if they want to freak out? Although I don't see any of them taking this way too seriously. I believe several saw a possible slide coming without major portaling.

Do any of them tell you that you should start freaking out?

The portal was never going to be the fix most of us envisioned. 
I hate already feeling this salty but I can't help it. We're obviously not the type of program that eats first.
Unfortunately this is really big for Woodson. We are trending in the right direction but had a Archie recruit who unarguably is one of the greats in iu history Stat wise. Woodson coaching has been questionable at times. If we take a big step back that won't be good imo. Woody needs to bring in talent

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, lillurk said:

If you’re waiting for megawatt stars, I think you’ll be disappointed. If you think you can build a successful team with guys who defend and bring something to the table on offense, they’re out there, and they may not be flashy.

Not looking for megawatt stars. Very rarely do we ever see a mega star enter the transfer portal. I’m looking for high-major talented players that have length, athleticism, shot making ability, a play hard winners’ mentality along with complimenting each other very well…if we get multiple players with those characteristics, I think we will hit a grand slam this off-season…

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why? Shouldn't we just let them freak out if they want to freak out? Although I don't see any of them taking this way too seriously. I believe several saw a possible slide coming without major portaling.

Do any of them tell you that you should start freaking out?

Not on April 3, if we don't have any commits on July 3rd freak out

13 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Not on April 3, if we don't have any commits on July 3rd freak out

You should do them a favor and point them to the handbook that says July 3rd is freakout day but not April 3.

There are other things at play that goes into the "big picture" that we'll need to improve on over the summer. I find it interesting we're supposedly going after some bigs and possibly looking at replacing players with like players in the portal. I do like some of the things Sparks can do but feel we need to revamp our offense.

I'll mark my calendar for July 3rd.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yes, some posts indicate that is exactly what they want people to do.

Where? Half the posts on here are just **** posts thrown against the wall that is Btown Banners. (half is probably nowhere close to accurate)

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Full agree. Butler was awful with him, what’s he going to do at Indiana to catapult things?

This is not to suggest that we should be going after the Butler kid, but none of the top 12 ranked players by 247 in the portal played in the NCAA tournament this year.  Jordan Epps is the 13th ranked player in the portal, Jamison Battle is the 15th ranked player....neiter were in the top 20 players in the Big Ten.  The transfer portal is still mostly full of flawed players -- talented players in P5 conferences who you are hoping live up to expectations and players who put up good numbers at mid and low majors that you are hoping translates once they play against P5 competition regularly.  The #1 player rated in the portal by 247 is a highly rated freshman who wasn't good enough to start on a mid level Pac 12 team who didn't make the tournament.

Ultimately you have to hope you can judge the player's talent correctly and can sign guys that pan out, but it's a crap shoot.  One of the most sought after portal guys last year was Sam Griesel and he was just okay at Nebraska, certainly not a program changer.  So I don't think you can get too wrapped up on a player based on his team's record elsewhere.  Too many moving parts to do so.

4 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Kebba Njie of Penn State in the portal.  He thought he did a decent job of coming in to Penn State in a system he didn’t really fit.  3.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg in 14 mpg.  119th ranked recruit.  Just a freshman last year.

I thought so as well

Whether we like it or not, the trajectory of Woodys tenure is going to depend a lot on how we recruit between now and next season. Really hoping it goes well but the signs have just been so poor lately. We just need to get that first solid signing to go through and then hopefully the floodgates will open 

This is not to suggest that we should be going after the Butler kid, but none of the top 12 ranked players by 247 in the portal played in the NCAA tournament this year.  Jordan Epps is the 13th ranked player in the portal, Jamison Battle is the 15th ranked player....neiter were in the top 20 players in the Big Ten.  The transfer portal is still mostly full of flawed players -- talented players in P5 conferences who you are hoping live up to expectations and players who put up good numbers at mid and low majors that you are hoping translates once they play against P5 competition regularly.  The #1 player rated in the portal by 247 is a highly rated freshman who wasn't good enough to start on a mid level Pac 12 team who didn't make the tournament.

Ultimately you have to hope you can judge the player's talent correctly and can sign guys that pan out, but it's a crap shoot.  One of the most sought after portal guys last year was Sam Griesel and he was just okay at Nebraska, certainly not a program changer.  So I don't think you can get too wrapped up on a player based on his team's record elsewhere.  Too many moving parts to do so.

All this is fine besides the fact we are absolutely relying on the portal to field a competitive team next season. It can’t really be both ways or can it?

And there will be some sure fire hits. Dickinson is the most obvious example this year so far. Maybe Abmas. Ike. Some others. Maybe Battle.

Like Terrence Shannon Jr. Nigel Pack. certain guys are more obvious hits than others.

Michigans adventures into finding a pg hasn’t worked out so well grabbing low major guys. I do know you can find gems at low major, but imo this Butler kid ain’t that.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

All this is fine besides the fact we are absolutely relying on the portal to field a competitive team next season. It can’t really be both ways or can it?

And there will be some sure fire hits. Dickinson is the most obvious example this year so far. Maybe Abmas. Ike. Some others. Maybe Battle.

Like Terrence Shannon Jr. Nigel Pack. certain guys are more obvious hits than others.

Michigans adventures into finding a pg hasn’t worked out so well grabbing low major guys. I do know you can find gems at low major, but imo this Butler kid ain’t that.

As I said, it's not about the Butler kid.  The point is dismissing a player solely on his team's record the previous year would exclude quite a few players.  In terms of Terrance Shannon Jr was not an obvious one coming into the portal....he was ranked 14th by 247 on 2022 portal guys.  Mayer was actually the higher rated portal player.  It's easy to say in hindsight who were the top portal players, but Shannon, while highly regarded, was not at near the most sought after last year. 

As I said, it's not about the Butler kid.  The point is dismissing a player solely on his team's record the previous year would exclude quite a few players.  In terms of Terrance Shannon Jr was not an obvious one coming into the portal....he was ranked 14th by 247 on 2022 portal guys.  Mayer was actually the higher rated portal player.  It's easy to say in hindsight who were the top portal players, but Shannon, while highly regarded, was not at near the most sought after last year. 

Not dismissing him from Butlers record alone.

And generally speaking, if you are getting a top 15 transfer portal kid you are certainly expecting him to be good. Shedrick is in the 30’s and he has legit potential. The rating services arent flawless but they do a pretty good job of estimating value. Then it’s fit, and etc…. Just like regular recruiting but theoretically with less margin of error.