Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed about our outlook at the end of Portal season.  I guess that’s a me problem. 

Genuinely asking, what are your expectations in terms of what we should be getting out of the portal?

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know, just had a little birdie tell me he was going to visit this week, maybe even today. I don't know enough about his game. Just saw where he played Flory well in the state championship

Well ****, the whole staff saw him in that game so they should have a pretty good sense of him. He has had multiple D1 offers so I'm thinking he'd maybe need a scholly to be interested.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Staff says they don’t want to play with 2 posts but they are still recruiting like they are going to play Reneau at the 4.   I’m definitely interested in how all this plays out.    If they land sparks and continue to recruit Ike then that’s a sign they are going to play Malik at the 4 most of the time.    

Reneau as a stretch 4?  He needs to work on his shot then.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Heard on one of the podcasts that the NIL people estimated our program to be top 10-15 in total amount.  Sounds about right, but who knows for sure.  I think a lot of other programs are upping their game and who really knows.  

I think this year we were for sure 1 or 2 in the Big Ten and think it will go up for next season. Illinois is the other one up there with us. Michigan not far behind. 

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Heard on one of the podcasts that the NIL people estimated our program to be top 10-15 in total amount.  Sounds about right, but who knows for sure.  I think a lot of other programs are upping their game and who really knows.  

That's huge, especially in light of our two biggest NIL recipients last year, Trayce and JHS, won't be pulling NIL next year. That leaves a ton of money for transfers.

Something to keep in mind...

Metaphorically speaking, the transfer portal is not an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet with unlimited lobster and filet mignon. There appear to be some lobster and filet on the line but they are limited in number. There may be some more put out on the buffet soon... and we may have been tipped off by the cooks that we can expect some more! Maybe. But nothing is guaranteed and IU is not the only customer at this establishment. There are many others crashing the buffet hoping to grab a piece of lobster or filet. We are not guaranteed anything.

IU is going to have a sizable plate to fill at this buffet. Of course, it would be nice to have a plate full of lobster, but again, there's only so much lobster and there are a lot of customers fighting for it. That being said, there is nothing wrong with grabbing some potatoes or a nice salad as a compliment to the main meal... especially if you KNOW you can get it. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem at all with a piece of filet, a piece of lobster, some potatoes and a nice dinner salad for my meal.

Also to note, just because we said last week we are cutting down on carbohydrates or red meat doesn't mean we won't be picking up any potatoes or steak on the buffet today. Times change. And sometimes people say one thing and do another when they realize what is available on the menu.

32 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Don't be surprised if Zane Doughty from Ben Davis doesn't visit IU this week. 

Doughty has a little bit of an Izoo-like press comment for y'all:

“He’s a really good guy,” Doughty said of Bidunga. “The refs tried to keep them in the game in the third quarter by giving me two quick fouls. Bidunga got a lot of his points while I was out. Had to make him look good for the coaches, I guess.

1 minute ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Metaphorically speaking, the transfer portal is not an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet with unlimited lobster and filet mignon. There appear to be some lobster and filet on the line but they are limited in number. There may be some more put out on the buffet soon... and we may have been tipped off by the cooks that we can expect some more! Maybe. But nothing is guaranteed and IU is not the only customer at this establishment. There are many others crashing the buffet hoping to grab a piece of lobster or filet. We are not guaranteed anything.

IU is going to have a sizable plate to fill at this buffet. Of course, it would be nice to have a plate full of lobster, but again, there's only so much lobster and there are a lot of customers fighting for it. That being said, there is nothing wrong with grabbing some potatoes or a nice salad as a compliment to the main meal... especially if you KNOW you can get it. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem at all with a piece of filet, a piece of lobster, some potatoes and a nice dinner salad for my meal.

Also to note, just because we said last week we are cutting down on carbohydrates or red meat doesn't mean we won't be picking up any potatoes or steak on the buffet today. Times change. And sometimes people say one thing and do another when they realize what is available on the menu.

Burp Fat Man Burping GIF - Burp Fat Man Burping Fat Belly GIFs

In the end I'll root for the guys in cream and crimson.  And I know my opinion on what IU should be trying to do doesn't mean crap.....I had us dead in the water five games into the Big Ten season.  At the end of the year, we were tied for second in the Big Ten and a four seed in the tournament despite not having our senior point guard.

Depth is one key that needs to be filled.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know, just had a little birdie tell me he was going to visit this week, maybe even today. I don't know enough about his game. Just saw where he played Flory well in the state championship

I watched Doughty in sectionals and again on Saturday night, and my comparisons are usually terrible but his post moves and play style remind me of Brunk quite a bit.  Was definitely impressive for him to get 20 pts against Bidugna and it seems like he could maybe play the pro wrestling on hardwood B1G style but that determination is beyond me.  In addition to Valpo he had offers from Sienna, New Orleans, and Miami (OH).

20 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah the staff is recruiting for that to be the case 

I don't see anyway in the world that happens. But, I guess if it does we will have one of the deepest rosters in the league next season, so more power to them if they can make it work. 

Ball State board seems to think Sparks' main goal is to play power 5, they think he is fine with a backup role. You gotta think IU would be one of the more attractive schools too since he would be working against a sophomore getting major minutes for the first time in his career in Reneau as opposed to a school with an established big where he could be buried.

My big worry is that he has a similar body to Ike, he's a bruiser and we need an athletic shot blocker. 

7 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I get a little of what you're referring to in terms of basketball, but more important: After reading it, I'm hungry! 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Genuinely asking, what are your expectations in terms of what we should be getting out of the portal?

I think as a brand Indiana should present similarly and get a respect much like other BlueBloods where we are a Preseason top 25 roster every year.  If we put together the pieces with prior season success, recruiting HS, transfer portal we should aim to always be in the preseason top 25.  That generally means you have nationwide hope.  ( I realize we can be not ranked and outperform our expectations) It happens all the time but I think generating top talent and being pre season ranked is very important to branding.  

2 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Ball State board seems to think Sparks' main goal is to play power 5, they think he is fine with a backup role. You gotta think IU would be one of the more attractive schools too since he would be working against a sophomore getting major minutes for the first time in his career in Reneau as opposed to a school with an established big where he could be buried.

My big worry is that he has a similar body to Ike, he's a bruiser and we need an athletic shot blocker. 

Sparks improved the shot blocking quite a bit from FR to SO. I don't think he is TJD, but it's improved. 

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

I have no idea what this means in terms of basketball, but I do know this: After reading it, I'm hungry! 

I just know that I need Welliver's now.

BTW, Rick Majerus used to make the trip to Welliver's quite a bit when he was at Ball State.  Have to imagine he got his money's worth.