Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Absolutely. Not only that, it would be easy to argue that, other than rim protection,  a sophomore Reneau will be a better player than Dean Garrett and Galloway will be better than a junior Joe Hillman, though Hillman didn’t start, he played starter minutes. I’m not sure what constitutes an amazing team, but that one won a NC. So you’ve got some really excellent pieces. The difference is you don’t have a premium guy like Alford that teams have to gameplan for and you don’t have Knight. Not arguing this team is a NC contender next year, we’ll see, just saying the difference between good and great is very small. Hell, we’ve deemed Dusty May the Pope of coaching now, and he’s really good, but if Hardaway is given the TO at the end of the Memphis game FAU goes home last week and May doesn’t have a 4 page thread, 

Hilman didn't play starters minutes in 87. The starters played majority of the minutes.  To me if anyone saying XJ is better than Smart probably never saw Smart play.

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Garrett and Smart were national champions and drafted early in the 2nd round.

X and Reneau have a long way to go to hit any mile stones those guys did

TJD loaded up on points, rebounds, blocks and such to be considered statistically one of the all time greats at IU. He has a play in and first round win to show for it. As you know, there is a lot more that goes into it than just the skills of the individual.

Links to player pages who we have heard IU has contacted.   (added Puff Johnson)

Chris Ledlum, 6'6" forward, Harvard.  Two years of eligibility left.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431728/chris-ledlum  (IU has an at-home visit date set)

Nicolas Timberlake, 6'4" shooting guard, Towson State.  One year of elibility left.  IU had an at-home visit yesterday.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397595/nicolas-timberlake

Kowacie Reeves, 6'6" wing, Florida.  IU had/will have an at home visit.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4683757/kowacie-reeves

Jamison Battle, 6'7" forward, Minnesota.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431893/jamison-battle

Graham Ike, 6'9" center, Wyoming.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4703396/graham-ike

Joe Girard, 6'1" guard, Syracuse.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431746/joseph-girard-iii

Puff Johnson, 6'8" forward, North Carolina.  Two years of eligibility left.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4701846/puff-johnson

34 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Ridiculous statement.

Unlike Smart,  X will be good enough to start the second half of his senior year. And I’m guessing that if X starts at point, he’ll shoot better than 32% from 3 and do better than 3.1 assists, 2.3 turnovers per game.

A freshman Lyndon Jones put Smart on the bench, and Lyndon was just okay at IU.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Unlike Smart,  X will be good enough to start the second half of his senior year. And I’m guessing that if X starts at point, he’ll shoot better than 32% from 3 and do better than 3.1 assists, 2.3 turnovers per game.

It was way before my time.  I have just seen highlights but I didn’t think Smart was a ‘true’ point guard?

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Smart was MOP in the Finals and on the all Tournament team. Knight certainly wasn’t above using the bench as a motivator and, of course, Smart almost certainly played on a better team than what XJ will next year.   

Somewhat of an interesting comparison, but I certainly don’t think you could say XJ is hands down a better player than Smart. There’s a real good chance that a player like XJ couldn’t get off the bench for a Knight coached team.  

As far as Reneau goes, I think he has a little work to do to be as good as Dean Garrett next year.   

We need some talent. 

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Geez…disagree on that one Doc!

Hes the lanky, fast stretch four we’ve all been wanting.

Him, Ike, Timberlake so far for me.

This board is all over the place on transfer targets.  I’m big on Girard and a couple athletic wings that can defend.  Don’t know anything about Reeves so don’t know if he is one of those are not. No on Ike.

18 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Is the Reeves kid from Florida a defensive savant? His offensive numbers are extremely mediocre at best. One of these is Reeves, one is Tamar Bates. Draw your own conclusions.

KR.thumb.jpg.680eab2a6e8bd19d601cd92389f87a16.jpg

TR.jpg

I have my doubts about Reeves but those on the board that like him state he's an outstanding athlete and in terms of comparing him to Bates, I don't think Bates could be put in the same sentence with him defensively.  I've seen ratings of him all over the map.  247 had him listed as the 9th best transfer portal recruit available because of his ceiling, On3 didn't put him in their top 50.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Smart played in all 29 games which only two players did that year. Smart started 21 games and was the third leading scorer at 13.4. shot 52%from 2 and was 9-28 from 3. Also he was benched for a few games then regained his starters role. Calloway was the one that got benched late and didn't even play in some games. I watched both play and Smart is the better player.

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

This board is all over the place on transfer targets.  I’m big on Girard and a couple athletic wings that can defend.  Don’t know anything about Reeves so don’t know if he is one of those are not. No on Ike.

I don't think I would want Girard because of his defense and shot selection