Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

17 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I’m not buying the Furst rumors. I’ve heard a couple other Purdue players are headed to the portal.

The logical choices to leave Purdue are Newman, Furst, and Trey Kaufman.

I’m not much of a fan of Newman at all. Talented enough but game doesn’t seem to really click for him.

Furst is pretty active and quite good. I feel like in the right situation as the five he could be a winning player.

Kaufman is interesting to me also. He’s only had one year of college ball and his size and outside shot form are intriguing. However, he was mediocre at best his freshman year.

I could wrap my brain around either of their big guys.

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Who are the stretch 4s in the portal that would be good targets? 

good defender that can guard the post that can rebound and hit 3s? 

No one really fits that description yet.

There are others who will enter the portal who fit that description.

Some that fit that description are based on projections by the IU staff and may not make you happy at first. But they do fit that description.

so I guess my take away is that if you’re looking for a 15 and eight young athlete, so is the NBA. That’s not who is going into the portal.

Now if you’re looking for a talented player whose current situation hasn’t worked out and hasn’t been getting enough playing time? 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No one really fits that description yet.

There are others who will enter the portal who fit that description.

some of the ones that fit that description are based on projections by the IU staff, and may not make you happy at first. But they do fit that description.

Not many Brady Manek’s around but that transfer to UNC was their difference maker and IU could really use someone like that

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, in retrospect Manek was exactly that guy.

But when he transferred to UNC, so was Pete Nance.

Bacot and Reneau are similar players that need space, excel 1x1 when the floor is spaced. Bacot struggled without that and so will Reneau. Need to put him in a place to excel

1. 2. 3. Graham Ike

Unless we have other options at the 5. We need 2 of them.

I kinda like Timberlake. Especially if Bates is gone.

I can’t make up my mind on Battle and Ledlum. I see positives and negatives.

I could get on board for Furst, TKR.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The logical choices to leave Purdue or Newman, Furst, and Trey Kaufman.

I’m not much of a fan of Newman at all. Talented enough but game doesn’t seem to really click for him.

Furst is pretty active and quite good. I feel like in the right situation has the five he could be a winning player.

Kaufman is interesting to me also. He’s only had one year of college ball and his size and outside shot form are intriguing. However, he was mediocre at best his freshman year.

I could wrap my brain around either of their big guys.

Kaufman-Renn's advanced metrics are actually better than Reneau's

TKR

• PER - 17.0
  • W/S Per 40 - .151
  • Box +/- = 3.2
  • ORating - 111.2
  • DRating - 99.6

Malik

• PER - 16.7
  • W/S Per 40 - .122
  • Box +/- = 1.0
  • ORating - 103.7
  • DRating - 99.3

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not really worried about the 5, and really don't want a post-dominant 5 coming in that wants to start. 

We need athletes and multi-skilled ballers at the 1-4. These teams from the Sweet Sixteen on aren't built with post-dominant 5's and aren't running their offense through the post. Woodson has also said he doesn't really want that. 

Let's go with Reneau at the 5, go get him a quality, serviceable athletic backup that can rebound, block some shots and switch defensively. 

Then go fill out the roster with multi-skilled, athletic dawgs and ballers that just love to hoop. 

I want guys like Banks at the 4, and go get a guy in the Watford, Troy Williams, Miller (kid from Miami), Jalen Wilson or Pickett mold, and then find as many ballers and hoopers at the 1-3 as you can. 

I don't think either of the Furst or Kaufman-Renn rumors are true, but even if they are I would really only want those guys backing up Reneau. Not starting alongside him. 

Yep, since you still have to have a post defensively and Reneau fouls A LOT,  the "back-up" better be capable of 15-25mpg. 

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kaufman-Renn's advanced metrics are actually better than Reneau's

TKR

• PER - 17.0
  • W/S Per 40 - .151
  • Box +/- = 3.2
  • ORating - 111.2
  • DRating - 99.6

Malik

• PER - 16.7
  • W/S Per 40 - .122
  • Box +/- = 1.0
  • ORating - 103.7
  • DRating - 99.3

Gibberish... pure and simple.  :)  Numbers don't tell the story 5fouls!  You, of ALL people, know that!

Just now, rayl456 said:

Gibberish... pure and simple.  :)  Numbers don't tell the story 5fouls!  You, of ALL people, know that!

I think it's safe to say that, both players, playing behind All-Americans, have more to show us than they were able to do so this past season.  

13 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Yep, since you still have to have a post defensively and Reneau fouls A LOT,  the "back-up" better be capable of 15-25mpg. 

Completely agree. You need a defensive minded backup there that can actually give you 15-20mpg. A guys with length and that offensively can pick and rim run/finish. But not a post guy offensively. 

Completely agree. You need a defensive minded backup there that can actually give you 15-20mpg. A guys with length and that offensively can pick and rim run/finish. But not a post guy offensively. 

We need more athletic guys at every position. Gunn fits, but forgot how to shoot or do much of anything else. Banks kinda fits but he still gives me baby giraffe images. Xavier fits if healthy. I thought Galloway fit until I watched him try to guard and dribble against the Miami guards.

I agree we need a good back up big. Probably need 2 of them. But then, Fouls/injuries. So, if they are back up quality and injuries happen you are tanked. You need roster flexibility and a coach that’s willing to play different guys for different matchups depending on the ability to impose your will.

We don’t have an identity yet. Trayce was our identity. Woody gets to build that, I guess. But all things being equal give me size, athleticism, and guys that have that dog in them.

My ideal 5, is like a Zeller or a Flory. Tall, quick. Can run the floor. Rebounds. Shot blocks, (although Zeller had short arms).

Reneau as our 5 is a scary thought and I love him. But he is none of those things besides being a competitor. He’s got nice touch. Above average dribbling. Etc.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app