Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Did you watch the first 1/3 of the season? How many point guards did we have on the court at the same time?

im not sure why you keep saying there are only 40 minutes available and XJ is getting 36 of them. If we get another “dawg” of a point guard he will start both and both can get 36 a game or whatever number you want to make up

I think the point is not that it wouldn’t come in handy, but that it would be hard to attract one with X slotted into the lead guard position.

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And expected to be the off guard.

If you listen to JHS interviews leading up to joining IU, he didn't expect to be an off guard. It was clear to him that he was being recruited to be a point guard. Woody also would refer to him as a point guard. 

A pretty good one signed at a surprising place, IMO.  DeMarcus Sharp, formerly of Northwestern State, 6'3" guard, averaged 19.5 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, committed to Austin Peay.  Had not been a big time shooter before last year and still took threes at a low volume, but made 29 of the 53 he took (55%).

FWIW, he's going from a 22-11 Northwestern State team to an Austin Peay team that that was 9-22.  He had narrowed down his choices to Missouri, Loyola (Chicago) and Austin Peay.  He's a Missouri kid so I would have thought he would have been a Missouri lean.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Then again, JHS committed knowing Xavier was here.

Did he know he’d be back? Honest question. X was a senior when JHS committed, only had the extra year available. Only other PG on the roster was Phin which JHS would have never been worried about, and obviously moved on anyway. Quite different that a portal PG looking at a likely sure fire starter in X and another incoming PG. 

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

Did he know he’d be back? Honest question. X was a senior when JHS committed, only had the extra year available. Only other PG on the roster was Phin which JHS would have never been worried about, and obviously moved on anyway. Quite different that a portal PG looking at a likely sure fire starter in X and another incoming PG. 

I don't think anyone ever thought X wouldn't have been coming back last season.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I don't think anyone ever thought X wouldn't have been coming back last season.

Maybe not but it’s still quite a different recruiting scenario when you’re talking about being at worst the #2 PG as a freshman vs. being at best the #2 PG as a (likely) upperclassman. 

16 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I know there is a lot of talk about Woodson's play style changing to be more guard/perimeter oriented, which I think would be a good move. That said, next year we'll have: X, Galloway, Gunn, Cupps, Newton, Bates (?) ... so agree it will be a different picture for a portal PG

I could see picking up one more combo guard in the transfer portal but would prefer we prioritize some wings and at least 1 big man who can protect the rim

I think it’s a fallacy to assume Woodson PREFERS playing two PGs at once. JHS was always going to start alongside X, which is possible given his size and their shooting ability.

If you have a clone, sure, we’ll take him. But X / the offense doesn’t need that. Having multiple ballhandlers, multiple drivers, multiple shooters, switchable defenders? Absolutely. And of course if you’ve got two worthy PGs they’ll play together sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think it’s a fallacy to assume Woodson PREFERS playing two PGs at once. JHS was always going to start alongside X, which is possible given his size and their shooting ability.

If you have a clone, sure, we’ll take him. But X / the offense doesn’t need that. Having multiple ballhandlers, multiple drivers, multiple shooters, switchable defenders? Absolutely. And of course if you’ve got two worthy PGs they’ll play together sometimes. 

Yep.  Lets get the best basketball players and let them play.  

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Not if Chris is putting it in the proper thread. Based on conversations he's putting it in the correct thread but it would be interesting.

Didn't realize he was privy to info about other teams/and or couldn't just come out and say it. 

That isn't meant to rude or snippy. 

Portal is intriguing.