Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

I guess both parties are right . We do need another experienced point guard if we want to be a good tournament team. What if X gets injured again? I love Trey but he would get exposed quickly by an athletic scrappy point guard. You should have a  good back up and it wouldn't be fair to Cupps to take that much work load.  Yet at the same time Cupps does need 10-15 minutes a game to develop properly. 

27 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

There are an unlimited amount of minutes at PG.

we had 80 a game available early on and that shrunk to 40 because we were limited. We need more speed, more ball handling, more players that can create and despite opinion - XJ is not guaranteed to be back at all and if he is, he is not gauaranteed to be his old self after a season ending injury. That, coupled with Cupps having never played a minute at the P5 college level suggests we need another solid Pg.

galloway is a 3, playing him at the 1should be a worst case scenario

XJ is coming back. Cupps not being ready is a fabrication you guys have now made up. And now we've made up XJ might not come back fully healthy? Its a broken foot. He should lose zero ability. 

TG can play any 1-3. 

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yogi averaged 7.6 points, 4.1 assists, 2.1 turnovers. I highly doubt he will have that kind of season.

Yogi only had 3.0 turnovers per 40 minutes!

Clearly more careful with the ball than a guy like Galloway, who averaged 1.1 turnovers per 40 last yea... ahhhh,... f' it.

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yogi averaged 7.6 points, 4.1 assists, 2.1 turnovers. I highly doubt he will have that kind of season.

I'd be pretty surpised if he didnt. Plus.. shoot a better percentage from the field and from 3. 

12 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I guess both parties are right . We do need another experienced point guard if we want to be a good tournament team. What if X gets injured again? I love Trey but he would get exposed quickly by an athletic scrappy point guard. You should have a  good back up and it wouldn't be fair to Cupps to take that much work load.  Yet at the same time Cupps does need 10-15 minutes a game to develop properly. 

Its very unrealistic to think we can just add a serviceable vet PG and give him no mins until/if XJ gets hurt. 

We just don't have the mins. XJ is playing 36mpg+ when it matters. 

22 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

There are an unlimited amount of minutes at PG.

we had 80 a game available early on and that shrunk to 40 because we were limited. We need more speed, more ball handling, more players that can create and despite opinion - XJ is not guaranteed to be back at all and if he is, he is not gauaranteed to be his old self after a season ending injury. That, coupled with Cupps having never played a minute at the P5 college level suggests we need another solid Pg.

galloway is a 3, playing him at the 1should be a worst case scenario

We started the season playing both Johnson and Schifino together, so yeah there was 80 minutes before Johnson got hurt.

If the staff wants 2 on the court we need another ball handler.

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

XJ is not guaranteed to be back at all and if he is, he is not gauaranteed to be his old self after a season ending injury.

You're right, there are no guarantees of health and playing level. However, XJ was out with a broken foot. We're not talking a blown knee or a torn Achilles or anything like that. It was a broken foot. By the time next season rolls around, he'll have had close to a year to recover. In fact, he was close to being back at the end of this season. If he doesn't play well next season, I don't think it'll have anything to do with his injury this year since there is no reason to think he wouldn't get back to 100% after a broken bone.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Additionally, Yogi was playing on a stacked team his freshman year, which makes a freshman’s job a lot easier. Having two top 5 picks + Hulls and Watford helped a lot. Cupps will have… well, who knows. If we’re relying heavily on Cupps we’re probably not going to be in good shape. 

56 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yogi only had 3.0 turnovers per 40 minutes!

Clearly more careful with the ball than a guy like Galloway, who averaged 1.1 turnovers per 40 last yea... ahhhh,... f' it.

I'd definitely trust a freshman Yogi with the ball well before an any year Gallo.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Additionally, Yogi was playing on a stacked team his freshman year, which makes a freshman’s job a lot easier. Having two top 5 picks + Hulls and Watford helped a lot. Cupps will have… well, who knows. If we’re relying heavily on Cupps we’re probably not going to be in good shape. 

Played with offensive weapons and still got about 8 points a game and lead the team in assists. Pretty good for a freshman... He was also a 5 star so that was expected.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Pretty CLEARLY the staff thinks he is. Goodness. 

Why is that? IU brought in four players in 2022. One--a five star--was ready to start, one--a top 50 player--was ready to come off the bench, and the other two ready for cleanup at the end of a game. That's recruiting and you don't really know who is going to be ready until you see them playing against other college players. Five star players are usually ready, but not always. Cupps is ranked below 100 by some evaluators and above 100 by others. Typically players ranked in that range are not ready to start, but obviously some are while others start out of necessity. We won't know about Cupps until after he arrives at IU.

Just now, Honkyman said:

Why is that? IU brought in four players in 2022. One--a five star--was ready to start, one--a top 50 player--was ready to come off the bench, and the other two ready for cleanup at the end of a game. That's recruiting and you don't really know who is going to be ready until you see them playing against other college players. Five star players are usually ready, but not always. Cupps is ranked below 100 by some evaluators and above 100 by others. Typically players ranked in that range are not ready to start, but obviously some are while others start out of necessity. We won't know about Cupps until after he arrives at IU.

You are right... WE don't.