Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, Demo said:

I recant my Graham Ike concerns. Had forgotten he’s a lefty, so Woody’s contractually obligated to pursue him. 

Ya know, he's also the single most successful player in the portal:

• Three years eligibility remaining
  • In his one year of college ball he averaged 19.5 ppg, 9.6 rpg
  • The year before he started for Wyoming they were 14-11, 5-9
  • The year he was healthy and started they were 25-9, 13-5 and a tournament team
  • Last year with him hurt they were 9-22, 4-14

Is he a fast paced style player? Nope. But he probably wants to play faster (than Wyoming? lol - insert sloth-like jokes here). But we probably have four spots to fill. If one of them could be filled by arguably/likely the best big in the portal, that'd be fine.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Ya know, he's also the single most successful player in the portal:

• Three years eligibility remaining
  • In his one year of college ball he averaged 19.5 ppg, 9.6 rpg
  • The year before he started for Wyoming they were 14-11, 5-9
  • The year he was healthy and started they were 25-9, 13-5 and a tournament team
  • Last year with him hurt they were 9-22, 4-14

Is he a fast paced style player? Nope. But he probably wants to play faster (than Wyoming? lol - insert sloth-like jokes here). But we probably have four spots to fill. If one of them could be filled by arguably/likely the best big in the portal, that'd be pretty damn cool.

I think this is under the collection of talent umbrella. 

I would pass on Ike and Sparks. I don't see that they fill a need or help us move towards a more modern style of play. 

Just my thoughts. 

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

We can't count on Johnson getting a waiver and I don't expect Cupps to be ready as a frosh.  We need guard help and he's the best available, it'd be negligent to not even gauge interest.  And without a NDPOY award I have little interest in a guard that so far has made Bates look good.

We don't need a PG. XJ, Cupps, and TG is more than enough. 

Why wouldnt you expect Cupps to be ready? 

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I get that, but he definitely has been a flop at Florida.  Seems like a poor man's Dexter Dennis.  Dennis IMO wouldn't have moved the needle much for us....don't see Reeves really helping IU.

Regardless, whoever ends up in Cream and Crimson are the guys I'm going to rooting for.

I think Dexter would have moved the needle in nearly all of our losses this season. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You didn’t ask me but my guess is that Cupps will be asked to play about 8 mpg as a backup. Nice to have Galloway in case he’s not ready, but Galloway’s best role offensively is as a secondary initiator, not a primary one.

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

You didn’t ask me but my guess is that Cupps will be asked to play about 8 mpg as a backup. Nice to have Galloway in case he’s not ready, but Galloway’s best role offensively is as a secondary initiator, not a primary one.

I think he'll avg 12-15mpg in the non conference. But yes, mins will get decreased in the B1G. Cupps should be thankful he gets to get a year of going against XJ in practice. He'll be better for it. 

Transfer portal thread, back on topic!

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

My inference do far on PGs is that not pursuing one is an indication they know more than we do about X’s waiver chances

Or there's a PG they are confident hasn't yet entered the portal and is a strong IU lean.  Lot of teams still playing in the tournaments.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Or there's a PG they are confident hasn't yet entered the portal and is a strong IU lean.  Lot of teams still playing in the tournaments.

Yes, great point

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That isn't even close to enough. We have no idea if Cupps will even be ready to give any meaningful minutes and Gallo doesn't need to be in any conversation as a lead ball handler. I'd rather not watch him get his pocket picked multiple times a game next year.

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That isn't even close to enough. We have no idea if Cupps will even be ready to give any meaningful minutes and Gallo doesn't need to be in any conversation as a lead ball handler. I'd rather not watch him get his pocket picked multiple times a game next year.

Its 100% enough. We dont you're right. Clearly the staff does. Factually speaking TG avged less than 2 TOs a game, so that didnt happen. 

We don't need a PG, nor do we have mins for one. 

13 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Sometimes a change of scenery and coaching bring out qualities that seemed missing at the original school.

If he wants to play more off the ball, I'd completely understand him wanting to come here. There isn't much available time at PG next season. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Holy crap; Trey Galloway averaged 0.8 turnovers per game in 27.7 minutes. That's 1.1 turnovers per 40 minutes, which is incredibly excellent for anyone, never mind a guy that played with the ball in his hands regularly.

Trey was 12th fewest turnovers per 40 minutes last year - only Kopp, who never played with the ball in hands and never touched it in transition, was better.

I don't want TG to have to handle it as much as he did this year, but as a 3rd primary ball handler... thats really good. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Holy crap; Trey Galloway averaged 0.8 turnovers per game in 27.7 minutes. That's 1.1 turnovers per 40 minutes, which is incredibly excellent for anyone, never mind a guy that played with the ball in his hands regularly.

Trey was 12th fewest turnovers per 40 minutes last year - only Kopp, who never played with the ball in hands and never touched it in transition, was better.

And still consistently had the ball knocked away from him. If he's back to being our secondary ball handler, we are in trouble. He needs to be 3rd. 4th preferably. We need another point guard. I don't want to rely on Cupps either. And if Cupps is only playing a few minutes a game, then Gallo is our 2nd ball handlers for majority of the game. That's a problem.

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And still consistently had the ball knocked away from him. If he's back to being our secondary ball handler, we are in trouble. He needs to be 3rd. 4th preferably. We need another point guard. I don't want to rely on Cupps either. And if Cupps is only playing a few minutes a game, then Gallo is our 2nd ball handlers for majority of the game. That's a problem.

*said with verifiable evidence to the exact contrary

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Trey is not a dynamic playmaker with the ball, but he sure as hell takes care of the ball when he plays.

I think if he is a playmaker in a more uptempo/fast break based game. But, I only want him playing 20-24mpg and NOT 28mins+. 

He's just better not in the half court.