Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

8 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Dark side of the portal is how it affects high school seniors and their recruitment.  Brady Dunlap a top 150 kid who reopened because of the coaching change at Notre Dame talked about how the portal has messed with his recruitment.     He doesn’t even want to say which schools are recruiting.   Said he has plenty of coaches calling but if a kid goes in the portal that they want that they act totally different.    Interesting hearing his thoughts 

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Brady-Dunlap-Harvard-Westlake-transfer-portal-top-150-top-247-college-recruitment-ncaa-basketball-207060104/

Really interesting read. An athletic enough 6’7” big time shooter with a winning pedigree is being de-prioritized in favor of portal guys. Somebody is going to steal a kid here. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I don't think bad looks can explain away a 26% three point shooting percentage.  I'm also not sold on a guy changing his stripes all of a sudden regardless of coaching.  I even tried to look back for any glimmer of him having the ability to knock down threes and couldn't find any.  All I found was a guy taking seven threes per game for four years while hitting 32%.  

Jerome Hunter changes in offensive philosophy are incredibly rare.  I just think that given the number of portal players available, there are more polished ones available.

Again, if he ends up at IU, I'll become a big fan.  Does seem to me that he has strong interest in Georgia Tech and Mississippi Valley State, which IMO says to me he might be more interested in staying down South and being a bigger part of the offense.

For what it’s worth I read some of his high school scouting reports and they really had him pegged as a good shooter. Obviously the numbers haven’t borne that out but as @Demo says the right staff could believe he’s worth a flyer.

16 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Brady-Dunlap-Harvard-Westlake-transfer-portal-top-150-top-247-college-recruitment-ncaa-basketball-207060104/

Really interesting read. An athletic enough 6’7” big time shooter with a winning pedigree is being de-prioritized in favor of portal guys. Somebody is going to steal a kid here. 

If IU ends up with a grant or two to play with after packing in some transfers I’d be happy to see them kick tires here

Certainly get the questions about Ike’s fit. My hunch is he’ll get all the minutes he can handle somewhere else so this will be moot. My hunch is that the staff sees a roster coming back with one true big, Reneau, one undersized 4, and one 5 who’s given them zero high-leverage minutes in two years. Even if those two stay they may want some frontcourt insurance.

My hunch is whatever guy(s) they add at the 4 and 5 will be less proven than Ike unless they’re clearly a 4 with shooting/ball skills a la Ledlum. Maybe a 5 who doesn’t offer much offensively besides ORebs, screens, dunks, but who can anchor the defense…think Tariq Owens.

I like Ledlum and assume he’s the target at the 4? Think he can drive and defend, my hunch is he can shoot better in a lower usage role with an ace PG like X.

Really like Timberlake at the 2 and assume they’d start Galloway alongside in such an arrangement.

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

It doesn’t sound like IU is going after any PG’s 

We can't count on Johnson getting a waiver and I don't expect Cupps to be ready as a frosh.  We need guard help and he's the best available, it'd be negligent to not even gauge interest.  And without a NDPOY award I have little interest in a guard that so far has made Bates look good.