Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

12 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not only did Jamison Battle enter the portal from Minnesota, but so did Ta'lon Cooper.

Three real players on Minnesota and two are leaving.  Battle had a down shooting year but I think his overall record is pretty good.  Cooper will be able to provide someone with a viable point guard.

I hope we get to play them twice next year.

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Is that 6 now in the portal for Butler?  Matta not particularly popular with the troops.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2023/03/15/butler-basketball-chuck-harris-in-transfer-portal-bulldogs-to-be-active-thad-matta-recruiting/70013719007/

The Star has five.

Butler players transferring are:

Chuck Harris:  29 mpg, 10.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.4 apg

Myles Tate:  7.7 mpg, 2.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.8 apg

Pierce Thomas:  13.7 mpg, 2.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 aog

Myles Wilmouth  5.6 mpg, 0.7 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.1 apg

Jaden Taylor:  30.2 mpg, 12.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.3 apg.

Other:

Eric Hunter 33.9 mpg, 8.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.8 apg has used up his eligibility.

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I personally wouldn't mind if Butler's entire roster hit the portal. Nothing against Matta, but the people who acted like him leaving last spring was some kind of indictment on Woodson are awfully quiet these days. 

Matta is (or was) an excellent coach. And that program was run into the ground before he got there. I’m not sure why people think this is some indictment of Matta and not Matta sending a bunch of players packing who couldn't win. 

10 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Matta is (or was) an excellent coach. And that program was run into the ground before he got there. I’m not sure why people think this is some indictment of Matta and not Matta sending a bunch of players packing who couldn't win. 

Not sure I would have started by sending out Taylor and Harris.  Highly doubt that it was suggested to them to leave.  Players leave all the time when a coach comes in that didn't recruit them and they don't mesh.  But Butler isn't exactly an NIL hub or an everyday name for major recruits any more.  They may be good again someday, but it's certainly not around the corner.

I would also say at this point and time, being an excellent coach is third to being an excellent recruiter and having NIL to sell the program.  It is what it is.

24 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not sure I would have started by sending out Taylor and Harris.  Highly doubt that it was suggested to them to leave.  Players leave all the time when a coach comes in that didn't recruit them and they don't mesh.  But Butler isn't exactly an NIL hub or an everyday name for major recruits any more.  They may be good again someday, but it's certainly not around the corner.

I would also say at this point and time, being an excellent coach is third to being an excellent recruiter and having NIL to sell the program.  It is what it is.

As someone who watched a lot of their games. Those guys didn’t make winning plays. They aren’t that big of a loss for Butler.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not only did Jamison Battle enter the portal from Minnesota, but so did Ta'lon Cooper.

Three real players on Minnesota and two are leaving.  Battle had a down shooting year but I think his overall record is pretty good.  Cooper will be able to provide someone with a viable point guard.

I like Battle but his shot selection wasn't always the best. Probably felt like he had to do to much playing for Minnesota.  Maybe their big man Payne decides to enter the portal, would like him for IU. 

I acty feel a little bad for Minnesota because it seemed like they might started to getbsome talent but they keep losing them.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm fine with Butler returning to obscurity where they belong. 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

As someone who watched a lot of their games. Those guys didn’t make winning plays. They aren’t that big of a loss for Butler.

They are if they are upgraded.  I wouldn’t be confident that butler has the resources to bring in players at the lev they need to.

23 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

This is why getting out of the Crossroads Classic was a great move by IU. Butler is falling apart and ND just fired their HC after a terrible season. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Notre Dame fan of a Coach Brey fan, but Mike Brey was not fired.... He made the decision to step down early in the year. 

28 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Notre Dame fan of a Coach Brey fan, but Mike Brey was not fired.... He made the decision to step down early in the year. 

I think he was asked to resign.

ND gave him that option since he's been there for like 25 years.

He definitely plans on coaching next season somewhere, most likely on the East coast or sunny Florida.

15 hours ago, jbeaman9 said:

IU will be contacting him as well, or already has

Jamison Battle is a good shooter and has been better when he wasn't the focal point of the defense (of course).

He'd be looking at IU as a place he could start. With Reneau and say, Kaleb Banks, that's a 6'9", 6'8", 6'7" frontline. No rim protection but plenty big enough, especially with a likely starting backcourt of X at 6'3" and Gallo at 6'4". It would certainly fit the Woodson mold of players that can switch defensively onto almost every opposition player.

The NCAA men’s basketball Transfer Portal has set a new record for the most D1 & D2 entries in the first 4 days with over 1015+ players putting their name in thus far. The quickest it has ever reached that mark, it took 6 days longer to surpass 1000 entries in 2022.