Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

D2E_lw-H_normal.jpg

Note on the transfer portal: The transfer window for winter sports doesn’t officially open until March 13, so expect to see almost exclusively graduate transfers enter the portal this week. Transfer window rules don’t apply to graduate transfers.

39 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

I don't see a lot of other guys on the roster next year that can put the ball on the floor and go get a bucket for themselves. 

I'd like a sniper as much as the next person, but we have multiple holes to fill with the amount of scoring that is leaving.

We do need scoring but also need efficient scoring. This guy is a scorer but he certainly isn't efficient. It appears he loves to shoot 3s even though he only hits them at a rate of about 29% - and that wasn't against B1G quality opponents. 

On 6/7/2022 at 7:36 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

at the first sign of him not hitting shots gave up on him.

For a shooter, Newman isn't doing all that well. He is hitting only 31% from 3-point range and only 36% overall. Starting Morton, whose shooting percentages are similar to Newman's, was a reasonable decision.  Now Newman seems to be the starter. Both are getting plenty of playing time.

3 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

We do need scoring but also need efficient scoring. This guy is a scorer but he certainly isn't efficient. It appears he loves to shoot 3s even though he only hits them at a rate of about 29% - and that wasn't against B1G quality opponents. 

I would agree with that. I don't like the 5 attempts per game at that %. On the flip side, the guy was 56% from inside the arc on 10 attempts. Question is, can the staff put him in a position to do what he does well and limit the low efficiency shots? I think they could.

52 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

we have multiple holes to fill with the amount of scoring that is leaving.

We are losing a point guard, a 6'7'' shooter and two bigs from the starting lineup. Presumably Malik Reneau fills  one of holes left by Race and TJD. With Xavier Johnson returning, we will have an experienced point guard. If Geronimo returns, he is someone who has demonstrated at times an ability to score. Banks? Maybe he will get more playing time. Hopefully, the coaching staff will be able to land players who fill the other holes--a 3 who can shoot and another big. Beyond those, sure--get a scorer who isn't much of a shooter. I suppose TJD could be described that way. 

11 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

I would agree with that. I don't like the 5 attempts per game at that %. On the flip side, the guy was 56% from inside the arc on 10 attempts. Question is, can the staff put him in a position to do what he does well and limit the low efficiency shots? I think they could.

And find a way to keep him away from the FT line, only 64%.

44 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Because he seems a little like this year's Dexter Dennis. Low efficiency on offense but a player that helps to instill a badass culture.

probably a good way to describe him.  Kentucky reaching out is interesting.  That FT and 3point percentage though......  Overall FG% not bad.  

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

probably a good way to describe him.  Kentucky reaching out is interesting.  That FT and 3point percentage though......  Overall FG% not bad.  

I can see being intrigued by him if he can attack and get a basket, though that FT% is less than desirable.  Is he a tough player that refuses to back down? We could use that, we are pretty soft.  How is he defensively?  I haven't seen him so I don't know much about him.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

For a shooter, Newman isn't doing all that well. He is hitting only 31% from 3-point range and only 36% overall. Starting Morton, whose shooting percentages are similar to Newman's, was a reasonable decision.  Now Newman seems to be the starter. Both are getting plenty of playing time.

My point was that this was one guy that Painter didn't handle well.  Newman shot the ball very well for the first 2/3rds of his freshman season and as soon as he had an off game or two, was buried on the depth chart.  Last season from January 23rd until March 11th, he played a total of five minutes.  Just my opinion, but for a team that has lacked athleticism at the guard position the last couple of years, if nothing else he should be getting consistent minutes.  I agree he hasn't shot the ball I also think that part of that has been the lack of confidence the staff has shown in him whenever he isn't hitting.  I have to say if I were a Purdue fan I wouldn't have been too happy seeing JHS score 35 on them (and 48 between JHS and Gallway) while Smith and Loyer played 73 minutes.  Smith and Loyer's size can be exposed defensively.

58 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Unfortunately, coming from Harvard means his SATs are too high to get into Kentucky.

With regard to Ledlum, but applicable to plenty of other transfers: consider context on shooting numbers. His FT% worries me, so I’m not claiming he’ll turn into Kopp. But he’ll surely get better shots with X probably carry a lighter load overall — which should mean fewer spots where he just HAS to force something as the best scorer on the floor.