Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Won't happen. The whole purpose of NIL and free transfers was about one thing and one thing only: helping the rich get richer. The NCAA wants the big schools at the top. Teams like St. Peter's are a nuisance, and this puts them back in their place. 

I disagree that that was the intent as the the Clemson, Bama, OSU's in FB and the Duke, UNC, UK, KU's of BB have been oligarch rich for  decades, I think this was definitely a student athlete move originally, but as a side effect it has been like giving Elon Musk a unlimited perpetual tax  exemption for money he had forgotten to report.

6 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I like the opportunity for the player to improve his position, but the fact that the schools that already have infinitely more recruiting resources are now basically allowed to cherry pick players they missed on with NIL money just seems like a  soon to be realized end to the Cinderella teams. They are making the small schools like the D league.

Yeah that irks me as well. 

17 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I like the opportunity for the player to improve his position, but the fact that the schools that already have infinitely more recruiting resources are now basically allowed to cherry pick players they missed on with NIL money just seems like a  soon to be realized end to the Cinderella teams. They are making the small schools like the D league.

I think we are about to find out how important roster continuity really is. But I do agree rich get richer with this. Hopefully IU can profit. 

56 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Won't happen. The whole purpose of NIL and free transfers was about one thing and one thing only: helping the rich get richer. The NCAA wants the big schools at the top. Teams like St. Peter's are a nuisance, and this puts them back in their place. 

That was not actually the purpose of NIL and free transfers, not even close. The purpose was avoiding lawsuits. However, the outcome will be that the rich get richer.

Jake Weingarten - Wichita State’s Dexter Dennis is going to enter the transfer portal, he told @Stockrisers. One of the best defenders in the nation. Averaged 8.4 points, and 5.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists.  Hit 176 three’s in three seasons with the Shockers. Top-11 in program history.

One hour into the portal, Dexter Dennis has heard from Indiana, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Loyola Chicago, South Alabama, Mercer, ETSU, Hofstra, Stetson, UCF.

https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/dexter-dennis/6186

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jake Weingarten - Wichita State’s Dexter Dennis is going to enter the transfer portal, he told @Stockrisers. One of the best defenders in the nation. Averaged 8.4 points, and 5.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists.  Hit 176 three’s in three seasons with the Shockers. Top-11 in program history.

One hour into the portal, Dexter Dennis has heard from Indiana, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Loyola Chicago, South Alabama, Mercer, ETSU, Hofstra, Stetson, UCF.

He only shot 30% from 3 this year and his freshman year is the only season he's shot over 34% from 3.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I remember going to our NIT game against them and he stood out to me when he was on the floor. Not sure he's for us, but solid player.

With Pack as an obvious exception, IU’s portal outreach has been for two spots:

1. Bigs as TJD/Race/JG contingencies and

2. wings that either shoot or defend.

This fits with the two ‘22s they’re in with, too, Reneau in group one and Thiero in 2.

I infer that they don’t anticipate additional attrition aside from possibly the frontcourt trio, they’re set at point, and they really want a wing who can shoot AND defend, but everyone wants those, and they’re scarce.

I think the Cinderella teams continue. These St Peters kids are only leaving because their coach did. It is possible some kids make a great run and leave but we will still that Cinderella run before they leave. Other, smaller schools may benefit because a kid like Lander leaves us and blossoms in a smaller setting

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app