Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

I'm honestly fine with how our roster is right now. I think in today's game a dominant big man isn't as important as it once was. Trayce is better than anyone on Baylor's team this year and UVA's team two years ago. We have to develop players also to be successful so my hope is that Geronimo can emerge in that stretch four role. Duncomb for 8 minutes a game is fine for me backing up Trayce. I think that's a reasonable expectation for a top 70 recruit. 

37 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Our team needs a dominant post presence in the worst way.

Race, Trayce, and Duncomb isn’t enough. We’ve addressed shooting and guard play. We have enough wings. Hunter, Geronimo can lock down 3 spot with a third guard at times.

We need offensive and defensive rebounding, shot blocking/deterring. A dominant big has a huge impact on any team and we haven’t had one in forever.

Does Kopp take Hunter and Geronimos minutes. Do we want that. I don’t get it. He’s not a plus defender. He’s a good, not great shooter.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Apparently, CMW thinks we can use a wing...,..Head coach Mike Woodson has been recruiting Kopp for Indiana.

“Coach Woodson has talked to me about how he really loves my game, loves that I can really shoot it and really space the floor, which he puts a premium on.

39 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Our team needs a dominant post presence in the worst way.

Race, Trayce, and Duncomb isn’t enough. We’ve addressed shooting and guard play. We have enough wings. Hunter, Geronimo can lock down 3 spot with a third guard at times.

We need offensive and defensive rebounding, shot blocking/deterring. A dominant big has a huge impact on any team and we haven’t had one in forever.

Does Kopp take Hunter and Geronimos minutes. Do we want that. I don’t get it. He’s not a plus defender. He’s a good, not great shooter.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agreed on all fronts.  We need a big that can play the 4 on offense and either 4 or 5 on defense.  With Race as our guy off the bench for both spots. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Agreed on all fronts.  We need a big that can play the 4 on offense and either 4 or 5 on defense.  With Race as our guy off the bench for both spots. 

What we needed was Chet Holmgren lol. A 5 on defense and a wing on offense.

But in realistic terms, there just aren’t many players in the portal who make sense. Unless they have the very particular set of skills we need, they risk getting buried by TJD on any depth chart. A normal 5 would have to count on TJD becoming a stretch 4 and a normal stretch 4 wouldn’t be the defensive improvement at the 5.

6 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

But in realistic terms, there just aren’t many players in the portal who make sense. Unless they have the very particular set of skills we need, they risk getting buried by TJD on any depth chart. A normal 5 would have to count on TJD becoming a stretch 4 and a normal stretch 4 wouldn’t be the defensive improvement at the 5.

A certain teammate of our most recent recruit would fit the mold perfectly 

EVERYONE NEEDS A Chet Holmgren.

I don’t see us being a championship contender with Race as our 4 and TJD as our 5.

TJD doesn’t guard strong and tall bigs well. Plus, foul problems which he becomes prone to. Race is an undersized 4/5 that lacks perimeter skills.

Countless schools will have better front courts than us.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

no big would come here knowing tjd is going to play 30+ minutes a night. 

Really? The other spot is open for 30+ minutes a night too. Race doesn’t have a starting spot secured. 2 bigs can play at a time especially if 1 can shoot. Archie just couldn’t figure it out. Most coaches can.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

EVERYONE NEEDS A Chet Holmgren.

I don’t see us being a championship contender with Race as our 4 and TJD as our 5.

TJD doesn’t guard strong and tall bigs well. Plus, foul problems which he becomes prone to. Race is an undersized 4/5 that lacks perimeter skills.

Countless schools will have better front courts than us.

To be perfectly honest, a championship contender might be a lot for Woodson to turn us into in one offseason (although he’s doing his best to improve us so far!)

What were those options to get? I think Kopp is a fantastic pick up if true. Some games he plays 8m some he plays 28m and there's no issue. 

Don’t know the options until you sell the opportunity. Numerous bigs have moved around already and others are in the portal. Kopp is whatever. An average player from an average/bad team. That’s been the Hoosier motto for years.

To be perfectly honest, a championship contender might be a lot for Woodson to turn us into in one offseason (although he’s doing his best to improve us so far!)

Yeah, I’m not counting on it, but with open market on transfers aim for the moon with impact player. We already have bench depth.

I think finding bigs to fit what we want to do on defense will be harder than offense. If we’re switching everything then you need someone with good mobility like Race and Trayce. Brunk obviously didn’t fit that. Hopefully we see more double teams in the post next year for harder to guard big men. That’s something that Archie rarely did but could help out if Trayce is the 5.

If what the coaches allegedly told Brunk about his role here is true, it doesn’t sound like they have much interest in playing two bigs unless one can shoot the ball really well.

I don’t buy that. Look at who they are recruiting in 2022. Crowley, Washington, and the 6’8” kid. Coaches like size, and versatility. They will play 2 or even 3 bigs if the right options come along. Not enough info on Brunk to use him as an example.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t buy that. Look at who they are recruiting in 2022. Crowley, Washington, and the 6’8” kid. Coaches like size, and versatility. They will play 2 bigs if the right options come along. Not enough info on Brunk to use him as an example.

I agree.  Brunk is a 5.  No versatility there.  TJD can be a 4 or a 5 which is the same with many bigs.  Woodson seems to prefer flexibility and it would not surprise me if he adds a big that can play the 4 or 5.  

I agree.  Brunk is a 5.  No versatility there.  TJD can be a 4 or a 5 which is the same with many bigs.  Woodson seems to prefer flexibility and it would not surprise me if he adds a big that can play the 4 or 5.  

Imo, that’s what we need. Now we wait and see if they add Kopp. Swider would have been nice in this role.