Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

National Basketball Transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm starting to think that Pack is going to land at Ohio State.  Their backcourt from last year is completely gone.....Branham to the NBA, Wheeler and Russell have used their five years, Meechie Johnson transferred.  They brought in Tanner Holden from Wright State -- he averaged 20 ppg last year -- but he's really more of a shooting guard than point guard.

It's been two weeks since Pack visited Purdue.  He visited Miami after that and just visited Ohio State.

OSU's incoming players consist of a PG, 2 SG's, 1 SF, and a transfer SF. So if Pack goes there he will definitely get plenty of playing time but they've also got guys coming in to help replace what they lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Can’t imagine it’s a Purdue decision. 

Even if Pack is coming they’d still want Hunter to stay.

On their current roster they currently have quite literally no one that can break down a defense off of the bounce, and quite literally no one that can defend quickness on the bounce.

Yeah, right now, their only returning guards are Morton and Newman and Painter has almost always gone with a 3 guard lineup, with the major exception being the few years they had Vincent Edwards and Swanigan. But I don't think Purdue has any forward that can play the 3 spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Yeah, right now, their only returning guards are Morton and Newman and Painter has almost always gone with a 3 guard lineup, with the major exception being the few years they had Vincent Edwards and Swanigan. But I don't think Purdue has any forward that can play the 3 spot.

They also have Braden Smith, a 5'11" two/three star recruit who just had foot surgery. He is not a kid that breaks down defenses. Last season Purdue had only one player (Ivey) who could break down defenses off the bounce, but at least he was truly elite at doing so and he stayed healthy all year. 

IU saw how much tougher offense is without someone that can beat people off the bounce or off of pick and roll. When X became that guy the whole IU offense changed.

Purdue has a enormous need to find one or two portal players that are quick with the ball in their hands. Right now they don't have anyone that is even a possibility for having that skill. They will get portal guards; the question is will they get a portal guard or two that can break down a P5 defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

They also have Braden Smith, a 5'11" two/three star recruit who just had foot surgery. He is not a kid that breaks down defenses. Last season Purdue had only one player (Ivey) who could break down defenses off the bounce, but at least he was truly elite at doing so and he stayed healthy all year. 

IU saw how much tougher offense is without someone that can beat people off the bounce or off of pick and roll. When X became that guy the whole IU offense changed.

Purdue has a enormous need to find one or two portal players that are quick with the ball in their hands. Right now they don't have anyone that is even a possibility for having that skill. They will get portal guards; the question is will they get a portal guard or two that can break down a P5 defense.

Can we interest them in a slightly used Khristian Lander???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

OSU's incoming players consist of a PG, 2 SG's, 1 SF, and a transfer SF. So if Pack goes there he will definitely get plenty of playing time but they've also got guys coming in to help replace what they lost. 

FWIW, Purdue's 3 incoming freshman are a PG, a SG, and a SF......they just aren't very good, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

FWIW, Purdue's 3 incoming freshman are a PG, a SG, and a SF......they just aren't very good, LOL.

I think Loyer is going to be quite good - but strictly as a Ryan Cline catch and shoot clone, which is not where they're lacking. They currently do not have a single player that can initiate offense with the ball in their hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuhoo said:

I think Loyer is going to be quite good - but strictly as a Ryan Cline catch and shoot clone, which is not where they're lacking.

He could be, but as a freshman he's wouldn't effect how much time Pack would get on the court.  Likely won't effect Newman either, and he couldn't find his way on to the court last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If their roster sucks they might. Painter is good and their bigs are pretty good, but Purdoo has had a 12th and 11th B1G finish during the last ten years.

Plenty of transfer options, but until they get them they have serious guard deficiencies. If they don’t add two ball handlers? They’ve got issues.

Yep and that 11th place finish was just 3 years ago, and came on the heals of losing 75% of their scoring. As it stands now, Purdue has lost 67% of its scoring, and the only returning major scorer will at best give them 25 minutes of solid play a game, but actually probably less than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Their insiders say he isn’t going to Purdue 

 

I hope not; Pack would be perfect for them. Sadly, as stocked as the portal is, he's not the only pg out there that could help their current roster a lot.

I wonder if lack of a viable NIL program is hurting them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×