Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Hopefully not. Emoni Bates sucks and has a huge ego. 

No to the first, yes to the second.  Remember he reclassifed and he was a year younger.   He went down with injury on January 27th.  He didn't turn 18 until the next day.......other than a 17 minutes in the tournament when he played while still nursing a sore back, the numbers that he posted were a 17 year old playing against 18-23 year olds.  I think expectations were a little high given his age.

That said, he's a kid who likely is looking to go somewhere, be a focal point of an offense, and enter the draft as soon as possible.  While he would certainly fit as a 3, I'm not sure that his MO would fit.

Memphis was not very good with him playing.  At different points they lost 4 in a row including a loss to Georgia, 3 in a row including a loss to East Carolina, and another loss to Tulane.  They then won 10 out of their last 12 games (non-NCAA tourney) with him being out with an injury, with one of those losses being to Houston in the American tourney championship game.
His shot selection was awful, and I imagine there's a pretty large ego attached. Just not sure how the benefits would outweigh the risks here.
I think that comes down to penny. He was trying to be kentucky and just throw 5 stars on the floor and not have an actual gameplan or coaching. To some degree you can do that but there has to be some fundamentals or it's not going to work.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, maharkn said:

I think that comes down to penny. He was trying to be kentucky and just throw 5 stars on the floor and not have an actual gameplan or coaching. To some degree you can do that but there has to be some fundamentals or it's not going to work.

I don't for a second think that Penny is a great coach. However, he was the coach before and after Bates' injury.  The thing that changed was Bates' playing time. Obviously there could be 12 other factors playing into their improved play, but Occam's Razor.

I think that once these kids get really hyped up, it's hard for people to let go of it. If Lander would have transferred at the end of year 1, people would have been up in arms. But after two full years, people finally realized that he has deficiencies that are hard to overcome in the college game. I'm not trying to comp Bates to Lander as obviously Bates has incredible physical tools, but if Bates was a 4 star coming out of high school, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.  

54 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I don't for a second think that Penny is a great coach. However, he was the coach before and after Bates' injury.  The thing that changed was Bates' playing time. Obviously there could be 12 other factors playing into their improved play, but Occam's Razor.

I think that once these kids get really hyped up, it's hard for people to let go of it. If Lander would have transferred at the end of year 1, people would have been up in arms. But after two full years, people finally realized that he has deficiencies that are hard to overcome in the college game. I'm not trying to comp Bates to Lander as obviously Bates has incredible physical tools, but if Bates was a 4 star coming out of high school, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.  

After Bates' injury, the team outside of Bates also got much healthier.  There was a string of games that Bates played in where they were down to like six scholarship players.  Memphis two leading scorers were Jalen Duren and DeAndre Williams.  Williams was out from January 4th to February 5th.  Duren missed from January 20th to February 5th plus a couple of other games earlier in January.  I would say that had more to do with Memphis playing better than Bates being hurt.

28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

After Bates' injury, the team outside of Bates also got much healthier.  There was a string of games that Bates played in where they were down to like six scholarship players.  Memphis two leading scorers were Jalen Duren and DeAndre Williams.  Williams was out from January 4th to February 5th.  Duren missed from January 20th to February 5th plus a couple of other games earlier in January.  I would say that had more to do with Memphis playing better than Bates being hurt.

I don't think their win / loss record over that time backs that up. Duren was only out a few games and they won each one.  They also lost to Georgia, Ole Miss, and Tulane early in the season while they had both Duren and Williams (and Bates).

Gelling over time/getting healthier probably also played a role, but while I didn't watch all their games, I think it's pretty likely they were better without Bates. In some of the early games I did watch him play, he had very little discipline in terms of shot selection and ball control. His Assist/TO ratio for the season was damn near 1/2.

I don't even remember at this point. Would this be Cockburn's first announcement since the season ended -- or had he already entered the NBA draft without an agent? Damn -- I can't keep track of all these guys ... 

16 minutes ago, Demo said:

Oh yeah, real interesting. Also curious how cumbersome and slow the process becomes given the crazy spike in cases. Or, do they just punt and the waiver becomes de facto automatic?

It’s chaos. Gotta think some of this gets reeled in.

If the Emoni Bates chatter is legit, I trust CMW to handle whomever he brings on board. After all, this is a coach that benched half his team for an entire game in the midst of a slup. 

I think CMW would have no issues saying to Emoni or anyone else, "It's my way or the highway." and truly meaning it. 

Also, this IU squad has a few leaders that won't let a bad actor spoil the entire show. There is a culture in place at IU that I don't believe exists at Memphis -- one which won't tolerate any BS that erodes the on-court chemistry. 

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If he ends up IU, I'll be a fan.  I just hope it's because staff knows (or at least thinks) it's because someone on the team is looking to transfer, not because they are bringing him in to move someone else out.

I’m quite sure that every staff has some pretty good knowledge of exactly how many spaces they have to fill this time of year.

On this board we talk about the issues when we check in every now and then. Staff has full work days to game plan for these issues..

If he ends up IU, I'll be a fan.  I just hope it's because staff knows (or at least thinks) it's because someone on the team is looking to transfer, not because they are bringing him in to move someone else out.

I’m just like you on this one. Don’t want it to be Geronimo, Leal, Duncomb. I think I’d rather hold steady if players are wanting back. I could live with Kopp if he was ready to move along.

I’m hearing it won’t be Geronimo. I’d be pretty upset if it’s Leal. If it’s TJD, I’ll be bummed and wonder why we aren’t pushing hard for one of the 3-4 5’s in the transfer portal.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Maybe the coaches already believe TJD is gone,

More likely the coaches are simply trying to prepare for the possibility that he's not back. This is ultimately where Crean failed as a coach. Losing guys early to the NBA set him back because he rarely had players lined up to replace them. If we add more players and TJD is back, awesome. If we add more players and he's not back, we'll still have a nice roster. 

If the Emoni Bates chatter is legit, I trust CMW to handle whomever he brings on board. After all, this is a coach that benched half his team for an entire game in the midst of a slup. 
I think CMW would have no issues saying to Emoni or anyone else, "It's my way or the highway." and truly meaning it. 
Also, this IU squad has a few leaders that won't let a bad actor spoil the entire show. There is a culture in place at IU that I don't believe exists at Memphis -- one which won't tolerate any BS that erodes the on-court chemistry. 
I don't think woodson would have any problem putting egos in check. Something Something he has had to deal with for the past 35 years

1 hour ago, ziggyiu said:

Wait there is Emoni Bates chatter?