Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

13 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Had we had a JBJ last year I think we win 5 more games and are in contention for BigTen title. 

I

14 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

We would absolutely be better in adding JBJ. JBJ would have arguably been our best player

14 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

With our putrid offense we had big leads in many games, but 1 player, by and large, we couldn't stop and that fueled the comeback.

Suppose we add a 40% shooter but he's a JBJ defense clone? We won't be better off.

How did John Bon Jovi get into this discussion? And I am pretty sure he has kinda sucked in those celebrity type games, so doubt he could help IU. Am I missing something here?

16 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The point was that three point shooting is rarely consistent.  The best way to make it consistent for a team isn’t to shuffle in guys each year from the portal….it’s to make the players you have have and keep good mechanics.

I think that CMW is trying to do that, but he is adding in a little seasoning salt with the portal.  I think he is doing the 4 year build, only trying to add a few pieces to make that transition a little faster.  He wants his guys (recruits) to be the backbone or long-term answer for this team, with a little flare from portal players here and there.  I think 3 or 4 years from now will look differently than they do know, once he has his recruiting in place.

If we are choosing between the two, give me Dennis 8 days a week.  I'm not saying either would be the one we should get, but look how excited we all were to get Kopp last year?!  How did that turn out?  Most are hoping he doesn't start next season.  Give me athleticism and a defensive junkie!

19 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

If we are choosing between the two, give me Dennis 8 days a week.  I'm not saying either would be the one we should get, but look how excited we all were to get Kopp last year?!  How did that turn out?  Most are hoping he doesn't start next season.  Give me athleticism and a defensive junkie!

I think some people just built up Kopp into something that he isn't, so then it seems like a down performance when in fact he performed like he always has.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I think some people just built up Kopp into something that he isn't, so then it seems like a down performance when in fact he performed like he always has.

Lol. Building him up into something he isn’t. So exactly what’s happening with every portal “shooter” we’re involved with now? 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Kopp’s the Billy Beane quote from Moneyball(the book, not the movie), “If he’s that good a hitter, why doesn’t he hit better?” And the answer’s the same, because he’s not that good. 

32 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Lol. Building him up into something he isn’t. So exactly what’s happening with every portal “shooter” we’re involved with now? 

Kopp shot 36% from 3 and 85% from the line over three years at Northwestern. Last year with us he shot 36.1% from 3 and 86.5% from the line. We got basically exactly what we should’ve expected from him. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Kopp shot 36% from 3 and 85% from the line over three years at Northwestern. Last year with us he shot 36.1% from 3 and 86.5% from the line. We got basically exactly what we should’ve expected from him. 

That’s true. But I was responding to us evidently building him up to be more than he was as if that’s not happening with any portal shooter we are involved with now more so than we evidently did with kopp.

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I haven't said any of them are great shooters.

40 minutes ago, IGotMeAWoody said:

Anyone know if we had any recruits come down for a visit this weekend? I was at Malibu yesterday and the whole Coaching staff was there. Leal was the only one of our current players I saw with them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That was likely Rich Rolf, Gabe Cupp’s Centerville teammate.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He played about exactly how he should have been expected but many expected closer to 40-42% it seems. Plus, taking and making more.

36 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

He played about exactly how he should have been expected but many expected closer to 40-42% it seems. Plus, taking and making more.

Yep, would’ve expected more volume if you’d told me he and Pstew would play as many minutes as they did. I might’ve hoped he’d have easier looks and thus hit a higher %age but I was not disappointed in that, personally.

The other dynamic I see with the transfer discussions: there’s some element of one side saying, “this guy can help IU,” and others saying “he has these flaws.” Well…I don’t know that those things are exclusive from one another. And then perhaps a third group thinks group 1 is saying so-and-so will be a star, when he’s clearly a role player, and group 3 is upset when he’s not a star.

15 hours ago, Ryno6284 said:

He was the American conference defensive player of the year last year.  I'm still not sure of how he fits IU, but having numerous options is a start.