Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

15 hours ago, VO5 said:

Or you could look at it the other way, our inability to hit the ocean while standing on a boat could have won any of those games. Defense was never the issue last year. We have enough on defense to be really solid. We need shot makers in the worst way possible and the solution to that is Dexter Dennis? No thanks. I want Bates to get all of those minutes because he has the potential to be way better on offense.

With our putrid offense we had big leads in many games, but 1 player, by and large, we couldn't stop and that fueled the comeback.

Suppose we add a 40% shooter but he's a JBJ defense clone? We won't be better off.

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

With our putrid offense we had big leads in many games, but 1 player, by and large, we couldn't stop and that fueled the comeback.

Suppose we add a 40% shooter but he's a JBJ defense clone? We won't be better off.

Trae Young can’t stay in front of a parked car but he just sent the Cavs home for the season because they had no answer for his offense. When your offense is good enough it outweighs your liability as a defender. I’ll always be a firm believer that great individual offense is much more important than great individual defense in basketball. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Trae Young can’t stay in front of a parked car but he just sent the Cavs home for the season because they had no answer for his offense. When your offense is good enough it outweighs your liability as a defender. I’ll always be a firm believer that great individual offense is much more important than great individual defense in basketball. 

Who is Indiana's Trae Young in this scenario and who is Cleveland's Dexter Dennis?

Hang on a sec, I'm gonna slide into the portal and get me a Trae Young to go, maybe 2. BRB.

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

We would absolutely be better in adding JBJ. JBJ would have arguably been our best player

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Who is Indiana's Trae Young in this scenario and who is Cleveland's Dexter Dennis?

Hang on a sec, I'm gonna slide into the portal and get me a Trae Young to go, maybe 2. BRB.

Hell idk, but if we’re going for one dimensional players I’d rather add a great shooter/bad defender than vice versa. Defense is much more reliant on all 5 players on the court than offense is. You can hide a bad defender. Our defense was great last year despite starting two negative defenders. A guy who can rain down threes would be much more helpful to this team. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Hell idk, but if we’re going for one dimensional players I’d rather add a great shooter/bad defender than vice versa. Defense is much more reliant on all 5 players on the court than offense is. You can hide a bad defender. Our defense was great last year despite starting two negative defenders. A guy who can rain down threes would be much more helpful to this team. 

Had we had a JBJ last year I think we win 5 more games and are in contention for BigTen title. 

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Had we had a JBJ last year I think we win 5 more games and are in contention for BigTen title. 

Looking at JBJ’s college stats rn.. Oh how I miss having that kind of shooting in the cream and crimson. It’s been so long. Our 2016 conference championship team shot 41.5% from 3. In the 5 seasons since we fired Crean, we’ve had a whopping 1 player in 1 season shoot over 41.5% from 3. Armaan Franklin in 2020. With 1300 kids in the portal (or whatever the number is now) surely there’s a flamethrower or two available. 

Re: three point shooting

high volume shooters hitting 36% are pretty darn good.  A big part of Carson Edwards ability was that he had the ability to hit guarded threes…..the ability to get quick shots cuts down on turnovers.  There isn’t a comparison between Scott and Davis from three.

That said, Davis won’t put up the numbers in a power 5 that he put in the Horizon.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Looking at JBJ’s college stats rn.. Oh how I miss having that kind of shooting in the cream and crimson. It’s been so long. Our 2016 conference championship team shot 41.5% from 3. In the 5 seasons since we fired Crean, we’ve had a whopping 1 player in 1 season shoot over 41.5% from 3. Armaan Franklin in 2020. With 1300 kids in the portal (or whatever the number is now) surely there’s a flamethrower or two available. 

Well, the flamethrower Armaan Franklin was a cigarette lighter at Virginia last year.

57 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Parker Stewart was a 40% shooter from deep last year.  We would have been a much better team with JBJ than Stewart.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Re: three point shooting

high volume shooters hitting 36% are pretty darn good.  A big part of Carson Edwards ability was that he had the ability to hit guarded threes…..the ability to get quick shots cuts down on turnovers.  There isn’t a comparison between Scott and Davis from three.

That said, Davis won’t put up the numbers in a power 5 that he put in the Horizon.

Thank you. 50% on 1/2 is not the same as 50% on 5/10.

not sure why that was even a debate but appreciated others confirmation 

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Well, the flamethrower Armaan Franklin was a cigarette lighter at Virginia last year.

Armaan was never a flamethrower. He’s just the only player we’ve had since firing Crean who has shot better from 3 individually than the 2016 did as a team. Crean’s teams were never great defensively, but the 2016 team only gave up 0.7 ppg more than last years team during conference play while scoring 11 more ppg. Doubling down on the defensive focus isn’t going to take us to the next level. You need to be great on both ends. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Armaan was never a flamethrower. He’s just the only player we’ve had since firing Crean who has shot better from 3 individually than the 2016 did as a team. Crean’s teams were never great defensively, but the 2016 team only gave up 0.7 ppg more than last years team during conference play while scoring 11 more ppg. Doubling down on the defensive focus isn’t going to take us to the next level. You need to be great on both ends. 

The point was that three point shooting is rarely consistent.  The best way to make it consistent for a team isn’t to shuffle in guys each year from the portal….it’s to make the players you have have and keep good mechanics.

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I was about to mention the defensive part, one can be hidden.  Part of why I hated that we kept starting Stewart and Kopp, neither can stay in front of a chair.

Thank you. 50% on 1/2 is not the same as 50% on 5/10.
not sure why that was even a debate but appreciated others confirmation 

But that’s not what we are talking about. It’s more like 1.3/3 and 3.6/10. Plus that’s in a weaker conference against far inferior athletes. I’m willing to bet the extra 3-4 3’a he might hit on volume 3-4 other shots might as well be a tour over because they are bad shots. Then our defense goes way down when he is on the court so give the other team some more points. I would love for him to be 5/10 then we are in a whole different conversation but he isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dillion said:

But that’s not what we are talking about. It’s more like 1.3/3 and 3.6/10. Plus that’s in a weaker conference against far inferior athletes. I’m willing to bet the extra 3-4 3’a he might hit on volume 3-4 other shots might as well be a tour over because they are bad shots. Then our defense goes way down when he is on the court so give the other team some more points. I would love for him to be 5/10 then we are in a whole different conversation but he isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were several points being discussed but the one I addressed is the one about 34% vs 36% from 3 only being 2 percent difference. While true, someone’s 3 point percentage holds a lot more weight when they can do it in volume

26 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

There were several points being discussed but the one I addressed is the one about 34% vs 36% from 3 only being 2 percent difference. While true, someone’s 3 point percentage holds a lot more weight when they can do it in volume

He’s clinging to the 34% vs. 36% because it makes his argument sound a lot better than it really is. It lets him say “oh that’s only a two percent difference! They're not that different as shooters!" 

The reality is one guy is a career 34% from 3 but has shot under 34% in three of his four college seasons. The other guy is a career 36% from 3 but has shot above 36% in three of his four career seasons. Davis had one down year where he shot 32%. He's been above 37% the other three years on 10+ shots per season. Dennis had one good year, his freshman year, where he shot 40%. It looks like an outlier that he hasn’t been able to replicate since. The past two seasons, Davis has shot 521 3s at a 37.6% clip. That’s an outstanding percentage for that volume. 

Damian Lillard is a career 37% 3 point shooter. Using his logic, Dame isn’t a “shooter” and is barely better than Dexter Dennis from 3. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s clinging to the 34% vs. 36% because it makes his argument sound a lot better than it really is. It lets him say “oh that’s only a two percent difference! They're not that different as shooters!" 

The reality is one guy is a career 34% from 3 but has shot under 34% in three of his four college seasons. The other guy is a career 36% from 3 but has shot above 36% in three of his four career seasons. Davis had one down year where he shot 32%. He's been above 37% the other three years on 10+ shots per season. Dennis had one good year, his freshman year, where he shot 40%. It looks like an outlier that he hasn’t been able to replicate since. The past two seasons, Davis has shot 521 3s at a 37.6% clip. That’s an outstanding percentage for that volume. 

Damian Lillard is a career 37% 3 point shooter. Using his logic, Dame isn’t a “shooter” and is barely better than Dexter Dennis from 3. 

The answer is most likely somewhere in the middle of what you’re going back and forth on. Davis is a better shooter, sure. Dennis is a better and more versatile defender. We can’t possibly believe that Davis would come here and get close to the volume of shots he has been. I doubt he would even start. And he’d have far better and likely bigger defenders on him every game, which will make it difficult to maintain his percentage. The step up in competition isn’t nearly as drastic for Dennis. And he brings a lot to the table that Davis doesn’t. Either one could work out better than the other. 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

The answer is most likely somewhere in the middle of what you’re going back and forth on. Davis is a better shooter, sure. Dennis is a better and more versatile defender. We can’t possibly believe that Davis would come here and get close to the volume of shots he has been. I doubt he would even start. And he’d have far better and likely bigger defenders on him every game, which will make it difficult to maintain his percentage. The step up in competition isn’t nearly as drastic for Dennis. And he brings a lot to the table that Davis doesn’t. Either one could work out better than the other. 

But we’re only going back and forth on the issue of their shooting. The poster said he didn’t know why one guy is considered a shooter but the other one isn’t. I didn’t opine that Davis is the better player or that he would be better here. Just that he’s clearly the better shooter.

Who knows what his percentages would be at a P5 school. It’s a step up in competition, but he’d also be playing with better teammates and wouldn’t get as much defensive focus. Zeisloft shot 6% better from three at IU than he did at Illinois State. 

37 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But we’re only going back and forth on the issue of their shooting. The poster said he didn’t know why one guy is considered a shooter but the other one isn’t. I didn’t opine that Davis is the better player or that he would be better here. Just that he’s clearly the better shooter.

Who knows what his percentages would be at a P5 school. It’s a step up in competition, but he’d also be playing with better teammates and wouldn’t get as much defensive focus. Zeisloft shot 6% better from three at IU than he did at Illinois State. 

Fair enough. I’m probably projecting a bit across other parts of this thread. There’s some arguments being made that Dennis wouldn’t be a great addition b/c he doesn’t light it up from 3 but ignoring what else he brings. All while the supposed shooters we are involved with are typically around 35% to 38% shooters from 3. I’m not opposed to bringing in a high level shooter over Dennis. But the possibilities so far are not definitely a better add to this roster.