Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That doesn’t really make me feel any better.. If he took 42 ‘closely guarded’ threes last year, that’s 35% of all the threes he took. So over a third of the 3s on the year he took on a shot he shoots 14% on. Makes me question his shot selection. 

The guy isn’t a good shooter. Whether folks think his other attributes make up for his lack of shooting is one thing, but there’s no way to spin him as anything other than a very meh 3 pt shooter. 

That shouldn't make you feel better -- his shot selection most certainly stinks!

Buuuut, shot selection can be coached. Annnnd...his defensive abilities are platinum level outstanding.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That shouldn't make you feel better -- his shot selection most certainly stinks!

Buuuut, shot selection can be coached. Annnnd...his defensive abilities are platinum level outstanding.

We already had a great defense last year and it landed us 9th in the conference because too often we lacked the offensive firepower to capitalize on the defense and put teams away. We’ll rarely get blown out because of our defense, but too many games were close last year because we couldn’t score the basketball.

The PSU and Wisconsin games were examples if that. Only 17 points in the second half because we lacked bucket getters. Guys you can count on to score the ball when you’re in a drought. We need bucket getters on the wings, especially if Trayce leaves. That’s what I want the staff targeting. Maybe Tamar Bates will be one next year. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That doesn’t really make me feel any better.. If he took 42 ‘closely guarded’ threes last year, that’s 35% of all the threes he took. So over a third of the 3s on the year he took on a shot he shoots 14% on. Makes me question his shot selection. 

The guy isn’t a good shooter. Whether folks think his other attributes make up for his lack of shooting is one thing, but there’s no way to spin him as anything other than a very meh 3 pt shooter. 

Also his team wasn't as good last year and Dennis had to try to do more which led to bad shot selection.  His freshman year he hit 48 percent of his contested shots

Just now, Chris007 said:

Also, don't count out JG as one on the wings too. He wants to play the wing and the staff wants him to. I think he's going to really put in the time to get better off the bounce and to improve his shot. 

If JG can be a wing next year that’d great for us. He has the measurements you want to see in your 3. He just needs to put in the work to get the matching skills. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If JG can be a wing next year that’d great for us. He has the measurements you want to see in your 3. He just needs to put in the work to get the matching skills. 

We have a long way to go but he's doing his part right now.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also his team wasn't as good last year and Dennis had to try to do more which led to bad shot selection.  His freshman year he hit 48 percent of his contested shots

If he did it isn’t really reflected in the stat sheet... His field goal attempts and 3pt attempts were his lowest since his freshman year despite averaging a career high in minutes per game. 

From reading that article, it sounds like he’s not a good shooter at the rim either. That concerns me probably even more than his 3 pt percentage. He has a low assist rate, so he’s not creating offense for others to make up for his poor shooting. He just really isn’t a player that interests me given our team composition and strengths/weaknesses. But maybe it’s the best we can get in the portal. Who knows. 

52 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seems like that is the plan.  If that happens, Reneau only has a spot if someone leaves. 

So Reneau is only if we lose TJD, JG, or someone else?  Maybe Miller Kopp

Kinda bums me out because I want 5. TJD/Duncomb 4. Race/Reneau 3. JG/Banks

I'd rather get funky and go with XJ, JHS, Bates, Geronimo at the 4, and TJD at the 5. First off the bench are Race and Galloway. 

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also, don't count out JG as one on the wings too. He wants to play the wing and the staff wants him to. I think he's going to really put in the time to get better off the bounce and to improve his shot. 

Would love it to happen, as it would help both JG and the team be more versatile, but he is going to have to improve a lot on both ends to be a wing player. 

He's really bad defensively on the perimeter at this stage, much worse then Kopp, and of course we know the offensive improvements he needs to make. 

Hope it happens, and I'm a JG fan, love him as an athletic 4 on both ends, but he needs a lot of work to be a true wing player. 

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Notes here he was 6/42 on closely-guarded 3s last year. That means he hit 38% of his other ones, for those who’ve been concerned about shooting.

At some point you are what the numbers say you are, it doesn't matter what people want to latch on to to make themselves feel better.  He's a career 34% shooter, that's it; he's not a good shooter.  You could say that would've been 3rd on our roster, sure, because everyone else couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Kopp is a 36% career shooter and Johnson a 35% career shooter.  Being the best shooters on the roster isn't  a credit to them as much as it is an indictment of everyone else.

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he did it isn’t really reflected in the stat sheet... His field goal attempts and 3pt attempts were his lowest since his freshman year despite averaging a career high in minutes per game. 

From reading that article, it sounds like he’s not a good shooter at the rim either. That concerns me probably even more than his 3 pt percentage. He has a low assist rate, so he’s not creating offense for others to make up for his poor shooting. He just really isn’t a player that interests me given our team composition and strengths/weaknesses. But maybe it’s the best we can get in the portal. Who knows. 

Career 36% FG, not too good.  76% from the line as a guard isn't anything special either.

18 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Career 36% FG, not too good.  76% from the line as a guard isn't anything special either.

How in the world is 76 percent from the line not that special

I just hope the people knocking Dennis for his 3 point percentage are also not on the Mike Davis son bandwagon. He doesn’t have a great 3 point percentage but most on here are labeling him as a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Dillion said:

I just hope the people knocking Dennis for his 3 point percentage are also not on the Mike Davis son bandwagon. He doesn’t have a great 3 point percentage but most on here are labeling him as a shooter.

He shot 38% on 10.3 attempts per game last season. And he shot 88% from the line. I won’t pretend to be a Horizon league expert or act like I know what that level of competition is, but I don’t think there are many players in college basketball who could replicate those percentages on that volume. 

He shot 38% on 10.3 attempts per game last season. 

So just about the same percentage as Dennis career? Also what’s his career percentage? 36%? I stand by what I said. Most on here have been saying 38% isn’t a great shooter and not what this team needs.

29 minutes ago, Dillion said:

His percentage would be the best on the team.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Would love it to happen, as it would help both JG and the team be more versatile, but he is going to have to improve a lot on both ends to be a wing player. 

He's really bad defensively on the perimeter at this stage, much worse then Kopp, and of course we know the offensive improvements he needs to make. 

Hope it happens, and I'm a JG fan, love him as an athletic 4 on both ends, but he needs a lot of work to be a true wing player. 

You are 100% correct. I’m glad we have options. 

5 minutes ago, Dillion said:

So just about the same percentage as Dennis career? Also what’s his career percentage? 36%? I stand by what I said. Most on here have been saying 38% isn’t a great shooter and not what this team needs.

Dennis's career is 34%.  Davis is career 36% and 88% from the stripe.  They are not about the same.  Davis is about the same shooter as Kopp over his career.