Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If the staff can't see that this guy would only compound our serious lack of shooting, then we have big problems.  I couldn't care less how high he can jump, there a more important things in this game, in terms of need he's not a fit, period.  There has to be someone available that's a better shooter than Dexter friggin Dennis.

Could be that they are expecting Bates to be one of those guys.  Could be they feel that Banks can come in right away and contribute.   Maybe they feel Kopp or Leal can be the guy next yea.   While I'm frustrated with our shooting, if you have to look to the portal every year to fix your shooting woes you are fighting a losing battle because every time you don't get one you're screwed.

The other guy that IU is heavily involved in the portal with is Sam McNeil.  He's basically a 41/37/86 shooter. 

20 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

It's worth pointing out that Parker Stewart made over half his threes for the year by December 18th......he had more threes in the first 11 games than he did in the last 23.  The Parker Stewart in conference play was a 35/36/58 shooter.

Sadly his 36.3% from 3 during conference play was still the best on our team and he made 25.2% of our conference 3s. 

11 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Could be that they are expecting Bates to be one of those guys.  Could be they feel that Banks can come in right away and contribute.   Maybe they feel Kopp or Leal can be the guy next yea.   While I'm frustrated with our shooting, if you have to look to the portal every year to fix your shooting woes you are fighting a losing battle because every time you don't get one you're screwed.

The other guy that IU is heavily involved in the portal with is Sam McNeil.  He's basically a 41/37/86 shooter. 

You never know how freshman will adjust.  I would expect Kopp to he around his career average, so pretty much last season again.  Leal, I'm not sure he'll get enough minutes to begin with.

I'd prefer we weren't relying on the transfer portal to fill this hole, but that's the position we're in right now.  If we already had shooters than I wouldn't be as against it, but we don't. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sadly his 36.3% from 3 during conference play was still the best on our team and he made 25.2% of our conference 3s. 

I think you agree, though, that a 36% three point shooter is certainly a player you can replace....especially when they don't do anything else on the court and pass up way too many shots.

Factually, of the ten players who played the most time on the court last year, Parker Stewart's +/- numbers for his time on the court weren't second worst on the team.  Despite the fact that he was our best shooter, we were appreciably worse when he was out there.  The sad truth is that despite how poorly we shot from three, we were better when Stewart was on the bench and was replaced by someone who wasn't a shooter (or didn't knock down shots like you would expect).  

Want a shocking number?  IU was an amazing 11 points per 100 possessions better when NEITHER Stewart or Kopp was on the floor than when they were both on the floor.  We need more than shooting....we need shooters who hit shots AND add something else.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

You never know how freshman will adjust.  I would expect Kopp to he around his career average, so pretty much last season again.  Leal, I'm not sure he'll get enough minutes to begin with.

I'd prefer we weren't relying on the transfer portal to fill this hole, but that's the position we're in right now.

I'd prefer we weren't relying on the transfer portal as well.  The portal is mostly spackle -- temporary coverage to hide issues.  Ultimately you must improve the players you have.  We certainly need shooting, but I don't know that getting a guy who's a 37% three shooter is better than getting a 30% three point shooter if the only area the 37% shooter is better at is shooting.  

No. No thank you. We should not volunteer to be his third team in three years. That may not be a problem, but it is a bonafide red flag.

He transferred this year to be closer to home because of family health problems. I don't think this 3rd transfer is like the Coleman-Lands players of the world. Having said that, I'm a no.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I think you agree, though, that a 36% three point shooter is certainly a player you can replace....especially when they don't do anything else on the court and pass up way too many shots.
Factually, of the ten players who played the most time on the court last year, Parker Stewart's +/- numbers for his time on the court weren't second worst on the team.  Despite the fact that he was our best shooter, we were appreciably worse when he was out there.  The sad truth is that despite how poorly we shot from three, we were better when Stewart was on the bench and was replaced by someone who wasn't a shooter (or didn't knock down shots like you would expect).  
Want a shocking number?  IU was an amazing 11 points per 100 possessions better when NEITHER Stewart or Kopp was on the floor than when they were both on the floor.  We need more than shooting....we need shooters who hit shots AND add something else.

Agree with your final point. And again this underscores what the eye test said all year about Kopp and Stewart, yet nothing changed. Woodson biggest flaw of the season, of which their were several. He seemed very set on starters and rotational minutes and substitution patterns. I want my coach to be a read and react guy. Woody can vastly improve in this category.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd prefer we weren't relying on the transfer portal to fill this hole, but that's the position we're in right now.  If we already had shooters than I wouldn't be as against it, but we don't. 

I would say Kopp's expectations are likely to be what he's been for his career....like a 40/36/85 shooter.  I agree that Leal likely isn't going to see much time.

My expectation is that Bates is going to make a jump;  X will be a credible threat.  Part of the reason that teams back off of him is he is more dangerous driving the ball, and that hasn't changed, so I expect he will continue to get his looks from three.  I also am of the opinion that people are sleeping on JHS's three point shot based on what he has done at Montverdo -- but with the talent he has around him there, he was been basically only been asked to be facilitate and they haven't really worked their offense around getting him many open shots.  I think people forget that before he was at Montverdo, he played his sophomore high school season at Combine Academy and was 29 of 64 from three (45%) there.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree with your final point. And again this underscores what the eye test said all year about Kopp and Stewart, yet nothing changed. Woodson biggest flaw of the season, of which their were several. He seemed very set on starters and rotational minutes and substitution patterns. I want my coach to be a read and react guy. Woody can vastly improve in this category.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree that he stuck to that lineup too long.  I don't know, but my guess is that in getting Kopp to come to IU and to get Stewart to stay, he 'promised' them that they would be starting.  IMO, that's something you should never do, but I understand why coaches do it. 

The options are:

1.  Make promises, keep your word at what could be a detriment to the team for the season.

2.   Make promises, don't keep your word and that can effect future recruitment as word travels.

3.   Don't make promises, which could keep some recruits away.

It's easy to say just go route 3, but the first year in a program is not only a learning one but one where not getting recruits/transfers in can set the program back for years.  Hopefully we can get to the point where #3 is the only option because we are good enough that the program sells itself.

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I would say Kopp's expectations are likely to be what he's been for his career....like a 40/36/85 shooter.  I agree that Leal likely isn't going to see much time.

My expectation is that Bates is going to make a jump;  X will be a credible threat.  Part of the reason that teams back off of him is he is more dangerous driving the ball, and that hasn't changed, so I expect he will continue to get his looks from three.  I also am of the opinion that people are sleeping on JHS's three point shot based on what he has done at Montverdo -- but with the talent he has around him there, he was been basically only been asked to be facilitate and they haven't really worked their offense around getting him many open shots.  I think people forget that before he was at Montverdo, he played his sophomore high school season at Combine Academy and was 29 of 64 from three (45%) there.

I wouldn't expect a lot out of Johnson's shooting.  Last year was a career high, and he's still only a 35% shooter; nothing to write home about.  At some point they are what they show they are, in cases like Johnson and Kopp that's decent but not particularly good.

14 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I agree that he stuck to that lineup too long.  I don't know, but my guess is that in getting Kopp to come to IU and to get Stewart to stay, he 'promised' them that they would be starting.  IMO, that's something you should never do, but I understand why coaches do it. 

The options are:

1.  Make promises, keep your word at what could be a detriment to the team for the season.

2.   Make promises, don't keep your word and that can effect future recruitment as word travels.

3.   Don't make promises, which could keep some recruits away.

It's easy to say just go route 3, but the first year in a program is not only a learning one but one where not getting recruits/transfers in can set the program back for years.  Hopefully we can get to the point where #3 is the only option because we are good enough that the program sells itself.

First, those guys aren't the caliber of guy you make that promise too.  They were complementary players who should have provided reliable shooting, but they were never going to be a program changers.

Second, once there was enough evidence that guys weren't holding up their end of the bargain, option 2 all the way.  Future "promises" go like this, "I'll start you as long as you're producing".  If a guy doesn't believe in himself for that to be enough, then move on happily.

11 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

If the staff can't see that this guy would only compound our serious lack of shooting, then we have big problems.  I couldn't care less how high he can jump, there a more important things in this game, in terms of need he's not a fit, period.  There has to be someone available that's a better shooter than Dexter friggin Dennis.

Dexter friggin Dennis was his conference’s defensive player of the year at 6’5”. That’s a odd size to be conference player of the year. Not blocking shots at the rim and not stealing from ball handlers, yet he won it anyway.

Let this sink in: The conference’s coaches thought he was a better defender than anybody on Sampson‘s Houston team.

That’s a big time add. I AGREE … he doesn’t  solve our outside shooting problems, but it’s a big add nonetheless. 

And from the WSU board:

I wish nothing but the best for him. Seems like a super good dude. It would be hard to find anybody who doesn't like Dex other than the dude he's guarding.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lmao. Why is this always your response whenever anyone questions the staff? We were 13th in the conference in 3pt percentage and dead last in 3pt makes. We lost our best 3pt shooter. Parker Stewart made 26% of our threes last year. What’s the coaching staff doing to replace that loss? 

When we started playing well against top-tier competition Parker Stewart was not our best three-point shooter. Xavier Johnson and Race Thompson were. By the end of the season Parker Stewart was a dogshit three point shooter

Do we need another Galloway? 

I'm trying to see how this one makes sense. He seems like the type you add if you have starting guards that are both shooting 40%+ from 3 and you're trying to shore up some defense. 

I'm sure he can be a good player and contributor on a good team, just not at IU right now.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I actually prefer the Butler kid because we get him for 3 years. But either makes us more athletic and that’s Woodson goal.

Speaking of..has there been anything else said about simas other than that photo? It was brought up on reddit and the butler fans were not happy about it lol

5 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'm trying to see how this one makes sense. He seems like the type you add if you have starting guards that are both shooting 40%+ from 3 and you're trying to shore up some defense. 

I'm sure he can be a good player and contributor on a good team, just not at IU right now.

I think his shot can be improved.  Decent form but seems to lean back a bit too much (gathered only from the highlight video). I gotta believe his recruitment is a reaction to Woody watching Johnny Davis and other star players take over at the end of a game and have guys who have no chance at stopping them. 

If Woody decides he wants Dennis, I want him to get him. The more interesting question to me is why a 4 year kid who’s played 25+ mins from the day he walked on campus would want to be part of a 5 man guard rotation. 

33 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

AAC defensive player of the year? Wonder if our need in a lot of games was a dude stopping Murray, a dude stopping Davis, a Dude stopping Ivey, a Dude stopping Boeheim , a Dude stopping Logan Johnson etc? It seems like we were in the drivers seat in a lot of games and our inability to shut down the hot hand was instrumental in our defeat. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

When we started playing well against top-tier competition Parker Stewart was not our best three-point shooter. Xavier Johnson and Race Thompson were. By the end of the season Parker Stewart was a dogshit three point shooter

Xavier, sure.. I’m assuming when you say “when we started playing well against top-tier competition” you mean beginning with the conference tournament, because we finished the regular season on a 2-7 skid. In our 5 postseason games Thompson shot 5 threes and made 2 of them. That’s not nearly a big enough sample to say he was one of our two best three point shooters. In the 14 games we played in February and March Race Thompson shot 32% from 3. Stewart shot 29% from 3 during that period, so not much difference, especially when you account for the difference in volume. Race only averaged 1.6 attempts per game over the last two months of the season. 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Absolutely but that isn’t being solved by adding Dennis, are you in agreement on that?

if you have a good shooting team that lacks defense like an Iowa, Dennis seems like a great addition but that isn’t Iu