Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

20 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Not sure about this particular guy but Sea of Blue and Rupp Rafters are two big fan sites for UK. I’ve seen both credible and incredulous posts on both.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

People on Rupp Rafters said that this guy was the first guy to get some roster moves that happened last year correct and the Antigua stuff this year. Granted Illinois has made a counter offer to keep Antigua so that's up in the air at the moment but it sounds like he has a track record of good information. 

30 minutes ago, kottke said:

I know nothing about UK stuff. Is that a pretty credible site? Appears to be, but I have no idea.

Sorry.  I have no idea.  I almost never go near anything UK.  I won't even go on a bourbon tour that goes anywhere near that place.  (Although I have been to Rupp to cheer on IU in the NCAAT.)  And I have to admit, the Kentucky fans were very gracious and actually cheered IU when Duke lost.

This just was listed when i Googled Brooks.  Didn't vet the site.  No dog in this hunt either.  Have mixed feelings about all of this.  Coaches have tough jobs but they are paid way too much for the grief. And it has to be gut-wrenching for the student/athletes, their families and friends.

I don't blame anyone for going to a program away from the home state.  Lots of reasons might justify those decisions.  Didn't say I liked the idea though.  Except in this case, it is UK.  Ugh.  That's almost as bad as going to W. Laffy. 

9 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Ugh- if that happens it's the end of the honeymoon. Things have gone so well, this has the potential to really sour it. Kicking out someone that wants to be at IU for a mediocre head-case like Brooks? I really hope this is wrong or there is a lot more we don't know. DO NOT WANT BROOKS- open scholarship or not. But pushing someone out for him is crap. 

Let me clarify what I said last night. If Brooks enters the portal, he will be a Hoosier a short time later. I think he or someone around the family is telling people he is entering the portal, but each day goes by, and no Brooks in the portal. 

9 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Kopp's not a guard.  Bates is.  Galloway is a 2/3.  Regardless, if you fill 13 scholarships, someone is going to be 12 or 13.  Simply put, I'm not going to be convinced that the guys most willing to be 12th and 13th in minutes aren't Leal and Galloway....because if Brooks comes in and Galloway were to leave, then there are a lot of other guys that are losing minutes.

Anyway, just all conjecture.  I'm a Galloway guy because he chose to come here and he is currently wearing the uniform.

Kopp's a 3, isn't he? And yeah, I totally forgot about Bates. Too many interesting pieces for next year! I guess I'm considering the 1, 2, and 3 spots guards for next year, even though technically the 3 would be SF. 

I agree that Brooks coming in would seemingly create issues further down the roster in terms of expectations for playing time. That's a bit concerning, but that's for the coaches to figure out. 

I like Galloway too. I'm not rooting for Brooks to transfer in and Galloway to leave. And I definitely wouldn't like it if that was how IU operates going forward. But I'm not as bothered by it if Woodson were to do this because it's his first season. He didn't recruit Galloway. I appreciate that Galloway loves IU and wants to be here, but if Woodson doesn't think he's a fit, that's not a good situation for anybody. And with the transfer rule, he could still play right away.

1 minute ago, pumpfake said:

My impression is that KB would be a definite talent upgrade over the players he is rumored to supplant.  My second impression is that he's hellbent on leaving for the NBA as soon as he can.  

One year rentals are a mixed bag.

Keion Brooks is also interested in getting a college degree. If he wanted to go pro, players at UK with far less on their resume have done so after one or two years. Keion is going to be a college junior. He most certainly does not fit the UK mercenary profile.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Let me clarify what I said last night. If Brooks enters the portal, he will be a Hoosier a short time later. I think he or someone around the family is telling people he is entering the portal, but each day goes by, and no Brooks in the portal. 

So, this kind of makes it sound like the staff at IU may be weighing whether this is a good move? Is it a case where he is ready to make a move and we are deciding if we want that to happen?

I think we need to be realistic about Galloway’s trajectory, too. He’s a 6’4 wing who can’t shoot and doesn’t have great athleticism. He shot 31% from 3 and 63% from the free throw line in high school. As a senior, he shot 23% from 3 and 58% from the line. His free throw and three point percentages got worse as he progressed through high school. I know some see him as a potential Will Sheehey type, but Sheehey was 6’7, pretty athletic, and a serviceable shooter. Sheehey also struggled as a senior when he was no longer surrounded by elite talent. Woodson isn’t going to keep a kid around just because he’s from Indiana if he doesn’t think he’ll help the team. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know that. I just know I'm told as soon as he enters the portal he will be a Hoosier. I've been told that twice now. Me personally I'm almost to the point of being over Brooks. 

It's possible he's waiting to see how certain classes finish up to make sure certain credits transfer properly. It sounds like his grades have been good so the academic side of a transfer would be a concern even though that's something that isn't talked about much. 

2 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Keion Brooks isn't going to be a college junior because he wants a degree; he's going to be a college junior because he isn't good enough to make an NBA roster.

Right, so why continue to get all SEC grades at UK if doesn't want the degree.  Why not just go overseas and play.  It might not be his only priority but seems he sees there is value in the school part

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think we need to be realistic about Galloway’s trajectory, too.

Galloway brings a lot of intangibles and can guard multiple positions.  Even if he never starts I see him as a 6th man of the year kind of guy by his 3rd or 4th season.  

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Right, so why continue to get all SEC grades at UK if doesn't want the degree.  Why not just go overseas and play.  It might not be his only priority but seems he sees there is value in the school part

Now hold on... college isn't all that bad lol 

10 minutes ago, triple said:

Galloway brings a lot of intangibles and can guard multiple positions.  Even if he never starts I see him as a 6th man of the year kind of guy by his 3rd or 4th season.  

I just don’t really see it. No offense to Trey, but players like him are a dime a dozen. We can land players who have those same intangibles but also have more talent. He was a 3 star recruit ranked outside the top 150. If things go well for him then he could play that role as a senior, but he doesn’t have the shooting or the raw athleticism that some guys who outplay their rankings have. 

Woody wants to win now, and with his age his shelf life at IU is about a decade more or less. Does he want to wait around and see if Galloway develops, or does he want to get as much talent as he can right now? When you’re a new coach coming in with the portal, your first worry is crap are all these guys going to leave? Now that that’s obviously not a problem, he can be picky. I think he’d take Brooks over Galloway in a heartbeat. They’re both Indiana kids, and one is a lot better than the other. 

15 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Keion Brooks isn't going to be a college junior because he wants a degree; he's going to be a college junior because he isn't good enough to make an NBA roster.

Cody Zeller was about as good a student as there could be -- athlete or non-athlete. He only stayed two years when he saw the chance to be a lotto pick.

My point is that Keion Brooks is an actual student athlete. At Kentucky that is most certainly not a given.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think we need to be realistic about Galloway’s trajectory, too. He’s a 6’4 wing who can’t shoot and doesn’t have great athleticism. He shot 31% from 3 and 63% from the free throw line in high school. As a senior, he shot 23% from 3 and 58% from the line. His free throw and three point percentages got worse as he progressed through high school. I know some see him as a potential Will Sheehey type, but Sheehey was 6’7, pretty athletic, and a serviceable shooter. Sheehey also struggled as a senior when he was no longer surrounded by elite talent. Woodson isn’t going to keep a kid around just because he’s from Indiana if he doesn’t think he’ll help the team. 

Thought this would be interesting. The first stat line is Trey Galloway's freshman season. The second is the stat line from another 6'4 wing with whom you're all familiar. Can you guess who it is?

MPG: 19.6; FG% 41.7; 3P% 18.2; FT% 73.7; REB 1.9; AST 1.6; BLK 0.0; STL 0.4; TO 1.0; PTS 3.6

MPG: 17.1; FG% 45.0; 3P% 24.3; FT% 68.3; REB 2.1; AST 1.5; BLK 0.1; STL 1.0; TO 1.4; PTS 3.3

1 minute ago, Bigred3588 said:

Thought this would be interesting. The first stat line is Trey Galloway's freshman season. The second is the stat line from another 6'4 wing with whom you're all familiar. Can you guess who it is?

MPG: 19.6; FG% 41.7; 3P% 18.2; FT% 73.7; REB 1.9; AST 1.6; BLK 0.0; STL 0.4; TO 1.0; PTS 3.6

MPG: 17.1; FG% 45.0; 3P% 24.3; FT% 68.3; REB 2.1; AST 1.5; BLK 0.1; STL 1.0; TO 1.4; PTS 3.3

Nope. Who is it?