Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

On 3/29/2021 at 5:56 PM, brumdog45 said:

FYI, I met him when I was in college -- he was a friends with a friend of mine.  He played at L&M when they were ranked #1 in the state....a true Milan type of team.

I remember L&M. In the mid-80s, they had two great high school players in the same class. One went to Purdue (Tony Patterson) and the other to IU (Jeff Oliphant). They're the same age as me. Ollie probably played with those guys.

Reminds me of Andrean (a high school very near where I grew up) five years earlier. They had Jim Bullock and the lovable Dan Dakich in the same class. Bullock went to Purdue and of course, we all know where DD went.

I don't think I'd be ruffling any feathers if I said that in both cases, Purdue probably ended up with the better player.

I wonder if there were any other times throughout the years where one kid played at IU while a high school teammate played at PU?  

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Broke the 1,000 barrier today.  Nearly 22% of D-1 players.  If all of our portal players leave, which I'm confident won't happen, I think Woody will still be able to field a team without scrounging the Bloomington city parks and yelling at some kid wearing flip flops "hey kid, wanna wear candystripes this winter?"

Yup. Thanks for posting the figure. 

I said a few times this month, this is absolutely the best year to build a team, or plug holes via transfers. 

I could see Woodson and Matta doing some good work on transfers. I'm too the point I don't think we'll have a "lost" year at all.

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I remember L&M. In the mid-80s, they had two great high school players in the same class. One went to Purdue (Kip Jones) and the other to IU (Jeff Oliphant). They're the same age as me. Ollie probably played with those guys.

Reminds me of Andrean (a high school very near where I grew up) five years earlier. They had Jim Bullock and the lovable Dan Dakich in the same class. Bullock went to Purdue and of course, we all know where DD went.

I don't think I'd be ruffling any feathers if I said that in both cases, Purdue probably ended up with the better player.

I wonder if there were any other times throughout the years where one kid played at IU while a high school teammate played at PU?  

Ted Kitchel and his cousin Jon Kitchel

And let's not forget Sasha Stefanovic and the legendary Grant Gelon.

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I remember L&M. In the mid-80s, they had two great high school players in the same class. One went to Purdue (Kip Jones) and the other to IU (Jeff Oliphant). They're the same age as me. Ollie probably played with those guys.

Kip Jones went to the same high school as coonhounds.  I believe he graduated in the same class as our cousin.

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

PM me when you get a chance.....I live in the Andrean area.

I’m honestly ok with not chasing any of the guys that decided to join the portal. I mean, we went what 13-14 days without a coach? To me, they didn’t really want to be here anyway. Let them go!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I’m honestly ok with not chasing any of the guys that decided to join the portal. I mean, we went what 13-14 days without a coach? To me, they didn’t really want to be here anyway. Let them go!

I think you make your pitch given what you want to do. Anyone not on board can walk. There's a new sheriff in town and I don't think he is here to play. This is Mike Woodson's team now and I really believe he knows what he is doing. I like the kids we have, but if they don't share his vision, it's time to go.

8 hours ago, yogisballin said:

You really can't blame the kids and my guess is the athletic department encouraged them to do so. There is no harm in checking out all your options, especially when the coach you committed to is no longer with the program. Couple that with the transfer freedoms this year and you are going to have lots of players looking around. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

You really can't blame the kids and my guess is the athletic department encouraged them to do so. There is no harm in checking out all your options, especially when the coach you committed to is no longer with the program. Couple that with the transfer freedoms this year and you are going to have lots of players looking around. 

It makes it a lot less awkward than a new coach coming to Btown and then them entering the portal.

I think someone like Walker Kessler is someone IU should look into

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Sure seems likely he ends up at Gonzaga

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I don't know. I don't blame any player whose coach was fired for entering the portal this year. If there was some sort of chemistry issue with anyone that entered the portal, I agree with you. But unless there is a no brainier upgrade transfer, I'd rather have current teammates back with better coaching since they've already been playing together, some for several seasons. Franklin especially. I think we'll really regret losing him if he stays in the portal, no matter who we bring in to replace him.