Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Last second entries:

Matthew Mayer, Baylor.  Stretch wing, 6.9".  Starter last year, averaged 9.8 points and 5.0 rebounds in 23 minutes per game.  Career 42/35/66 shooter.  One year of eligibility.

Mouhamed Gueye, Washington State.  6'11".  Started 33 games last year as a freshman.  Averaged 7.4 points and 5.2 rebounds in 22 minutes/game.  Shot 49/28/49.  Three years of eligibility left.

Emmanuel Bandoumel, SMU.  6'4".  Three year starter at SMU.  10.6 ppg last year, shot 36/35/82.

Kenyontae Johnson of Florida put his name in the portal.  He has not played or practiced since December of 2020 when he collapsed on the court.  Was a pretty good player before that.

He has an insurance policy that would pay him $5 million if he never plays again, although it does allow him to play a set number of games to test his health out but if he were to go over that, the policy would be nullified.  Would probably be a little surprising to see him get offers based on that.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:01 PM, Demo said:

UM’s Frankie Collins enters the portal. Apparently the Jaelin Llewellyn commitment didn’t exactly do it for him. 

On 4/30/2022 at 7:10 PM, IU Scott said:

Didn't like getting recruited over. I thought Collins was going to be very good next year.  I am interested in seeing what Diabate and Houstan decides to do.  If those two come back I think UM will be the favorite for the big ten.

UM fans are confused and disappointed here. Llewellyn is not really a PG, and UM still has only three guards on the roster (him plus Bufkin and McDaniel). Their biggest roster issue last year was they had lots of 4s playing the 3, so it’s not like they have options who can slide down a position.

Some combo of Llewellyn, Bufkin, Jett Howard, Diabate, Dickinson, Houstan, Tarris Reed, and Terrence Williams is quite a bit of talent, and McDaniel can give them spot minutes…but even w/JL at 2, Collins was the de facto PG.

19 minutes ago, lillurk said:

UM fans are confused and disappointed here. Llewellyn is not really a PG, and UM still has only three guards on the roster (him plus Bufkin and McDaniel). Their biggest roster issue last year was they had lots of 4s playing the 3, so it’s not like they have options who can slide down a position.

Some combo of Llewellyn, Bufkin, Jett Howard, Diabate, Dickinson, Houstan, Tarris Reed, and Terrence Williams is quite a bit of talent, and McDaniel can give them spot minutes…but even w/JL at 2, Collins was the de facto PG.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2022/4/30/23050143/princeton-transfer-jaelin-llewellyn-commits-to-michigan-wolverines-basketball-stats-recruiting

This piece didn't really see the Llewellyn fit and felt he was going to have to battle for time with Collins already there.....would guess that some promises were made for Llewellyn getting the point guard spot which made Collins feel pushed out.  As you said, Collins is more of a natural point.  Would guess either the Michigan staff didn't feel like Collins was ready to take over the point or misjudged Collins hanging around if Llewellyn was brought in and told he would play the point.

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Emoni Bates down to Michigan, Arkansas, Seton Hall, DePaul, Louisville and, yeah, Eastern Michigan, per Tipton.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It’d be a stunning development if something involving this kid wasn’t dramatic. 

Does Arkansas have open spots? Anyway, I’m up for maximum goofiness, pulling for Eastern Michigan here

11 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It’d be a stunning development if something involving this kid wasn’t dramatic. 

No one would be surprised if Emoni Bates said his list was the Golden State Warriors, the Washington Generals, the New York Yankees, and the Looney Tunes All-Stars.  Because....Emoni Bates.

Some players still trickling in on verbal commits transfer portal.

Cedric Henderson Jr, Campbell.  6'6" wing.  Last year averaged 14 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 1.6 assists.  Shot 49/38/65.  Three year starter and three years of double figures.  Two years of eligibility left.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Eric Hunter to Butler. Butler has become almost immediately competitive imo.  

100% - With Hunter and the NC State transfer earlier in the week, Manny Bates, paired w/Ali Ali from Akron and the return of Lukosius from the portal, Butler should be a talented squad (potentially a dark horse NCAA tourney team.)

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh wow. He could have played 30+ minutes back at Purdue eaaaaasy.

Purdue has a major guard problem 

Yeah. You’ve got Newman, Morton, Loyer and Smith, right? Am I forgetting someone? Haven’t dug in, but that sounds as bad as anyone in the conference. 

18 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yeah. You’ve got Newman, Morton, Loyer and Smith, right? Am I forgetting someone? Haven’t dug in, but that sounds as bad as anyone in the conference. 

That’s it.

No one that can get past someone on the bounce. Not even close.

20 minutes ago, Demo said:

Bad news for PU. Miller recruited 3 of the 4 of their guards and we all saw how well he did at evaluating B1G talent, especially guards.

5 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

100% - With Hunter and the NC State transfer earlier in the week, Manny Bates, paired w/Ali Ali from Akron and the return of Lukosius from the portal, Butler should be a talented squad (potentially a dark horse NCAA tourney team.)

They also added 6’10 Jalen Thomas from Georgia State. They are big and deep. With better coaching and the players added I’d be shocked if they aren’t in the tournament when it’s all said a done.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s it.

No one that can get past someone on the bounce. Not even close.

Without doing a year-by-year look back, that’s probably a common thread in Painter-era down years. And it’s hard to find that guy in the portal. They needed Pack, or an XJ, and I don’t know how many of those are out there in a given year.

Edit: upon further review that’s absolutely one commonality of Purdue 2013, 2014, 2020.

Edited by lillurk

6 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I guess I'm not seeing it.  It's not like they are some Horizon league team anymore.....they are playing in the Big East, a major conference.  Eric Hunter was a 6 point scorer at Purdue.  Bates has missed two seasons now with shoulder injuries and he averaged 7 ppg over two seasons when he was healthy.  Ali Ali was a nice MAC player but outside of scoring doesn't really add anything else.  The kid from Georgia State was just an 8 and 6 kid in a low major conference.  

They brought in those four who IMO are decent but nothing Earth shattering -- particularly for a major conference -- and lost three of their four leading scorers to graduation or the portal.  They'll probably be better than last year but I don't see them as any kind of Big East threat.