Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

So essentially everybody is a free agent without a contract, and "negotiate" every year, semester, day, whatever.

Isn't this special...(sarcasm)

1.  Players really should have to control their own NIL deals.

2.  Schools have to look to control the NIL deals to maximize a player's NIL deal and 'entice' them to stay and also make sure the deals are in compliance with the rules.

3.  1 and 2 conflict with each other......and therefore schools choose #2 for their own safety and ability to keep players.

-----------------------

Quite possibly it would have never gotten to this point if the NCAA had been more flexible in the first place instead of forcing players to go to court and look for them to make a ruling.

How long will LifeWallet or any other similar entity shell out big bucks if their team doesn't deliver on the court?  When does the glow wear off?  Are the contracts written such that if a player goes down with a serious injury he still gets paid?  Do the contracts contain morals clauses?  So many questions.

Pandora's Box has been opened.

Pandora's Box 2017. I didn't hear the ending to the story… | by Grace Dow |  Medium

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

How long will LifeWallet or any other similar entity shell out big bucks if their team doesn't deliver on the court?  When does the glow wear off?  Are the contracts written such that if a player goes down with a serious injury he still gets paid?  Do the contracts contain morals clauses?  So many questions.

Pandora's Box 2017. I didn't hear the ending to the story… | by Grace Dow |  Medium

Really rich people get that way by not putting a  match to their money.

There will have to be a reward for the benefactors to merit a continued reward for the players.

46 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think there is a lot of people thinking “if this is what is happening in just under a year of NIL whats going to be happening in 5 years.” Although I think what we are seeing is to a large degree rich boosters having fun with the novelty of NIL. Plus, the Miami situation is spiraling mostly because the billionaire booster is trying to make himself the center of attention. 

Pete Nance put his name in the NBA draft but kept his option to come back open three days ago;  now has also put his name in the portal.

FWIW, he had implied when he put his name in the draft that he would 'explore all options'.  Today was just making it official that his name is in the transfer portal.

On 4/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I can't help but assume Brown didn't get a lot of playing time encouragement from his new coach.

He may have also gotten an idea of what a Michael Lewis practice would be like compared to a James Whitford practice. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Pete Nance put his name in the NBA draft but kept his option to come back open three days ago;  now has also put his name in the portal.

FWIW, he had implied when he put his name in the draft that he would 'explore all options'.  Today was just making it official that his name is in the transfer portal.

Lots of rumors itll be illinois

22 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Juwan loves him a senior, up-transfer PG. Hopefully this is getting used against him in recruiting as he has continued to recruit over the point guards on his roster. A few have already transferred out. 

Yeah, but what was his NIL package signing???  Lol

50 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

6'6" win Terrance Shannon to Illinois after transferring from Texas Tech.  Last year shot 46/38/78, averaging 10.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 2 assists.  Over three years, he averaged 11 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 1.4 assists, shooting 46/35/79.

Have the feeling, Jerk Underwood is going to find a way to have a competitive, towards the top program every year he is at Illinois.  That’s my take anyway.  

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Are we looking at Antoine from Villanova? Former 5 star recruit. Seen Peegs had an article on him.

I would hope not.  Three years, 46 games, no starts, 29% shooter and 21% from three.  1.5 points per game.

11 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Truth, and my guess is it will be shut soon.  This reminds me of the SPAC craze in the stock market