Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

11 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Browsing through my SiriusXM channels, I came across Big 12 radio talking about the portal. Apparently, the NCAA released numbers for 20 and 21. The hosts said 60% of those who entered the portal in 21, either found new homes or went back to their old team. Another 8% became walk-ons. That left almost a third of portal entries without a home. I have not seen the report to verify

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Even if true, it might largely be because the the extra COVID year- even with players having the extra year of eligibility a lot of teams might not have had space to keep players around for that extra year so the portal may have been their only option. Plus, I would think there were plenty of graduates from smaller schools that put their name in the portal to see if they might draw some interest from a bigger school, and we’re ok with being done with basketball if not

1 hour ago, PB1230 said:

Even if true, it might largely be because the the extra COVID year- even with players having the extra year of eligibility a lot of teams might not have had space to keep players around for that extra year so the portal may have been their only option. Plus, I would think there were plenty of graduates from smaller schools that put their name in the portal to see if they might draw some interest from a bigger school, and we’re ok with being done with basketball if not

Coach Scott Davenport of Bellarmine stated on a program out of Louisville that D-1 programs are averaging 4.2 players per team entering the portal. That's crazy!

Latecomer to the portal, but a decent one.  6'2" shooting guard De'Vion Harmon of Oregon in the portal.  Spent his first two years at Oklahoma, starting 45 out of 56 games.  His sophomore year he averaged 12.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 2.1 assists.  Shot 48/33/73.  Last year at Oregon averaged 10.8 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 2.1 assists.  Shot 42/37/73.

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

We had 9 or 10 if I remember correctly, not counting walk ons.  TJD, Stewart, Geronimo, Durham, Hunter, Franklin, Brunk, Lander and Thompson if I remember correctly.  I don't recall if Phinisee was.  Galloway and Leal never entered the portal.  TJD, Stewart, Geronimo, Lander and Thompson all decided to leave the portal and come back.  Hunter, Franklin, Brunk, and Durham all left.

Hunter and Brunk didn't enter or leave until after the others returned, IIRC.

52 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Ball State G Luke Brown has entered the transfer portal.   On to school #3.

Really starting to question this kid's judgment. Committed to Stetson without ever visiting. Transferred after a few months, supposedly had a girlfriend at BSU. Got a waiver to play immediately due to some obscure mental health condition, even though BSU had a terrible coach who was on the hot seat and was later fired. Now, a month after hiring Lewis, he hops into the portal just days before the deadline to maintain immediate eligibility. He had an NIL deal with someone in Muncie, too. 

I'm ok with that, transferring within conference feels dirty. Maybe as a Grad (Max Bielfeldt) but otherwise.....its yucky. For instance that POS Luke Recker, I'd still like to punch his face. 

Technically, there was a stop at Arizona in between, if only on paper… but don’t disagree with your point.

Portal trivia --

1,508 players have tested the market since the start of the season, 31 have withdrawn and 455 have now found a new landing spot.

296 of the transfers on the transfer list have transferred at least once before. 123 of those qualify as grad transfers.

Of the roughly 1,000 players still available in the transfer portal, 529 of those averaged less than 3.0 PPG or did not register any statistics this past season.

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Portal trivia --

1,508 players have tested the market since the start of the season, 31 have withdrawn and 455 have now found a new landing spot.

296 of the transfers on the transfer list have transferred at least once before. 123 of those qualify as grad transfers.

Of the roughly 1,000 players still available in the transfer portal, 529 of those averaged less than 3.0 PPG or did not register any statistics this past season.

The truth is that I am sure that quite a few of those 529 that averaged less than 3 ppg -- especially those that did not register any stats -- would be deciding to simply give up basketball as a pursuit or were basically being told that they weren't going to really have a spot on the team next year, especially those at the lower D1 level.   By putting their name into the portal, they may find that they are wanted elsewhere, but if they aren't, they haven't lost anything.....because their plan was to move on from basketball anyway.

Quite a few of the lower end guys in the portal are walkons.  IMO, if you weren't a scholarship player you shouldn't have to put your name in the portal to move on to somewhere else.

EDIT:  SI article below -- says that about 1/3 of all players in the football and basketball transfer portal are walkons.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/14/ncaa-transfers-rule-change-football-basketball