Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

34 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

I’m doubting this one…

That'd be cra-cra-CRAZY.

But Woody has developed a little bit of a reputation as a fan of redemption projects over the years.

Who knows if it's got any truth to it... would make for an interesting day!

Stay away, imo. I can't imagine next year is going to much smoother for Bates, or for his choice of school, with him having one foot out the door ready to prep for the draft at any moment. Unless he can put on some muscle I can't imagine the B1G being a great fit for him anyway. He looked very thin against Gonzaga. Bates is a clear cut fit for Ignite - shocked he even spent a year in college basketball as is.

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

I’m doubting this one…

Yea and Brad Stevens is on a flight to Bloomington....

On a serious note, I'd actually take a flyer on Bates at this point. I think he could really use some sturdy coaching and he clearly has a ton of upside if Woody could tap into it. It seems though he is in the same realm as Lander and Jerome Hunter though. But... Ya never know. Could become a knock down shooter. 

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Duke basketball guard Michael Savarino, the grandson of former Blue Devils head coach Mike Krzyzewski, has entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal, per On3.

0e55d218-1657-47b0-8a60-208371da7ec6_text.gif

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I thought April Fool's Day was on the 1st.  Besides we already have one Bates on the team and we don't need a second.

Exactly. Our Bates is on the floor!

55 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea and Brad Stevens is on a flight to Bloomington....

On a serious note, I'd actually take a flyer on Bates at this point. I think he could really use some sturdy coaching and he clearly has a ton of upside if Woody could tap into it. It seems though he is in the same realm as Lander and Jerome Hunter though. But... Ya never know. Could become a knock down shooter. 

If this were last year, I'd be with you, but I think we're going to have a strong chance to be good next season with our roster now and don't need any potential distractions.

6 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

If this were last year, I'd be with you, but I think we're going to have a strong chance to be good next season with our roster now and don't need any potential distractions.

I see a couple on here immediately with hard no's on Bates. I am not familiar with his story outside of high school, GPOY as a sophomore, all american and reclassifying to get to Memphis a year early. Looks like he avg. 9.7 points (38.6% shooting, 32.9% from long distance) and 3.3 rebounds a game last year, when he should of still been in high school.

My initial reaction is, if a kid with that much talent wants to be in Bloomington, he would be hard to turn down, no? 6'9, athletic forward, former #1 recruit in his class. Not without need for improvement, but kid is touted as a premier talent. 

What specifically has people wanting us to pass if the option is there? Have seen ego, "not very good". Anyone have specifics on this kid?

16 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I see a couple on here immediately with hard no's on Bates. I am not familiar with his story outside of high school, GPOY as a sophomore, all american and reclassifying to get to Memphis a year early. Looks like he avg. 9.7 points (38.6% shooting, 32.9% from long distance) and 3.3 rebounds a game last year, when he should of still been in high school.

My initial reaction is, if a kid with that much talent wants to be in Bloomington, he would be hard to turn down, no? 6'9, athletic forward, former #1 recruit in his class. Not without need for improvement, but kid is touted as a premier talent. 

What specifically has people wanting us to pass if the option is there? Have seen ego, "not very good". Anyone have specifics on this kid?

Memphis was not very good with him playing.  At different points they lost 4 in a row including a loss to Georgia, 3 in a row including a loss to East Carolina, and another loss to Tulane.  They then won 10 out of their last 12 games (non-NCAA tourney) with him being out with an injury, with one of those losses being to Houston in the American tourney championship game.

His shot selection was awful, and I imagine there's a pretty large ego attached. Just not sure how the benefits would outweigh the risks here.

lol, now we are recruiting Emoni Bates?  Can't be true, can it?

Only way I can get behind this if true, and i'm nearly sure it isn't is if TJD didn't return.  But even then, I'd be really worried about team chemistry.  I already do worry about that stuff when we have 10-12 guys i'd like to see getting minutes, and in my heart know we are better if it is only 8, maybe 9 getting minutes.  Gives me anxiety....... LOL