Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I thought that wasn’t impressive though…

Did I say it was or that I wanted him?  No.  For his career he's essentially Miller Kopp.  Just pointing out he's a better shooter than Dexter Dennis, which isn't a high standard.

Dennis's career is 34%.  Davis is career 36% and 88% from the stripe.  They are not about the same.  Davis is about the same shooter as Kopp over his career.

I’m sorry but if that 2% increase is moving the needle for anyone then IDK what to say. Not to mention the HUGE gap in defensive abilities Dennis has. All I’m saying is you can’t hype Davis up as a shooter when his numbers say otherwise, then argue the counterpoint with others when they are practically the same. Which isn’t a great percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Dillion said:

So just about the same percentage as Dennis career? Also what’s his career percentage? 36%? I stand by what I said. Most on here have been saying 38% isn’t a great shooter and not what this team needs.

What? Dennis shot 30% on 4.4 3pt attempts per game last year and shot 78.7% from the line. That’s not close to Davis's percentages. And if you look at Davis's career numbers, he had one season where he shot 32% from 3 - his sophomore season. His other 3 seasons he’s been 38% (on 11.6 attempts); 37% (on 10.1 attempts); and 38% (on 10.3 attempts). He was 5th in the country in 3pt makes last year. You’re not shooting 38% from 3 on 10+ attempts if you aren’t a good shooter.

And show me where all the people saying 38% isn’t a good 3 pt percentage are. If Dennis shot 38% from 3 I’d be all aboard the hype train. That’d be fantastic. 

Just now, Dillion said:

I’m sorry but if that 2% increase is moving the needle for anyone then IDK what to say. Not to mention the HUGE gap in defensive abilities Dennis has. All I’m saying is you can’t hype Davis up as a shooter when his numbers say otherwise, then argue the counterpoint with others when they are practically the same. Which isn’t a great percentage.

I didn't say I wanted Davis or that he's a great shooter.  He's basically Kopp, decent but not particularly good.  Just that Dennis is worse.

What? Dennis shot 30% on 4.4 3pt attempts per game last year and shot 78.7% from the line. That’s not close to Davis's percentages. And if you look at Davis's career numbers, he had one season where he shot 32% from 3 - his sophomore season. His other 3 seasons he’s been 38% (on 11.6 attempts); 37% (on 10.1 attempts); and 38% (on 10.3 attempts). You’re not shooting 38% from 3 on 10+ attempts if you aren’t a good shooter.
And show me where all the people saying 38% isn’t a good 3 pt percentage are. If Dennis shot 38% from 3 I’d be all aboard the hype train. That’d be fantastic. 

I mean the average of those number would be 36.25% for his career correct? And I’m not sure how many he attempted per game matters it’s still the same percentage whether he took 20 or 3 shots per game. Dennis is 2% points behind him for his career. Which might amount to what maybe 1-3 extra made 3 a year?

I didn't say I wanted Davis or that he's a great shooter.  He's basically Kopp, decent but not particularly good.  Just that Dennis is worse.

I wasn’t really referencing you or anyone really. You just happened to respond to my post.

13 minutes ago, Dillion said:

I mean the average of those number would be 36.25% for his career correct? And I’m not sure how many he attempted per game matters it’s still the same percentage whether he took 20 or 3 shots per game. Dennis is 2% points behind him for his career. Which might amount to what maybe 1-3 extra made 3 a year?

Davis made 3.9 threes per game last year. IU made 5.9 threes per game last year. If you don’t understand the significance of volume then idk what to tell you… Shooting 38% on 10 attempts per game is much harder than shooting 38% on 4 attempts per game. Good shooters are able to maintain good percentages when they increase their volume. 

I don’t even know why this became a comparison between the two. Dennis has good qualities. Shooting isn’t one of them. Antonio Davis is a good shooter and the numbers reflect that. His freshman year he broke Steph Curry’s record for 3s in a season by a freshman. If Dennis had Davis’s shooting ability he’d probably be heading to the league. 

Davis made 3.9 threes per game last year. IU made 5.9 threes per game last year. If you don’t understand the significance of volume then idk what to tell you… Shooting 38% on 10 attempts per game is much harder than shooting 38% on 4 attempts per game. Good shooters are able to maintain good percentages when they increase their volume. 
I don’t even know why this became a comparison between the two. Dennis has good qualities. Shooting isn’t one of them. Antonio Davis is a good shooter and the numbers reflect that. His freshman year he broke Steph Curry’s record for 3s in a season by a freshman. If Dennis had Davis’s shooting ability he’d probably be heading to the league. 

The more you shoot the more chance you have to make more of them right? So yeah volume does matter. I haven’t looked at numbers but I’d say IU as a team averaged somewhere close to 10 attempts per game as a team. I’m just saying his percentage isn’t great for a dude labeled as a shooter. It’s basically the same percentage for his career as Dennis yet he is labeled a non shooter. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

26 minutes ago, Dillion said:

The more you shoot the more chance you have to make more of them right? So yeah volume does matter. I haven’t looked at numbers but I’d say IU as a team averaged somewhere close to 10 attempts per game as a team. I’m just saying his percentage isn’t great for a dude labeled as a shooter. It’s basically the same percentage for his career as Dennis yet he is labeled a non shooter. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

It doesn’t make sense to you because you aren’t trying to understand it. Dennis is a career 34.4% shooter from 3. He’s shot under that 3 of his 4 seasons in college. The last time he shot higher than 33.6% from 3 in a season Juwan Morgan was on our team. His 3 pt shot has gotten worse every year he’s been in college, to the point that he shot 29.7% from 3 last season. If you don’t know why people see a guy shooting 29.7% from 3 on 4.4 attempts differently than they do a guy shooting 37.9% from 3 on 10.3 attempts, I don’t know what to tell you. 

It doesn’t make sense to you because you aren’t trying to understand it. Dennis is a career 34.4% shooter from 3. He’s shot under that 3 of his 4 seasons in college. The last time he shot higher than 33.6% from 3 in a season Juwan Morgan was on our team. His 3 pt shot has gotten worse every year he’s been in college, to the point that he shot 29.7% from 3 last season. If you don’t know why people see a guy shooting 29.7% from 3 on 4.4 attempts differently than they do a guy shooting 37.9% from 3 on 10.3 attempts, I don’t know what to tell you. 

And Davis career is 36.4%. Not a whole lot better. Miller Kopp is a career 36% shooter and most think he cannot shoot. So again how is it Davis is a labeled a shooter and those 2 aren’t?

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Did I say it was or that I wanted him?  No.  For his career he's essentially Miller Kopp.  Just pointing out he's a better shooter than Dexter Dennis, which isn't a high standard.

Your 20+ posts saying the exact same thing have made that abundantly clear. 

6 minutes ago, Dillion said:

And Davis career is 36.4%. Not a whole lot better. Miller Kopp is a career 36% shooter and most think he cannot shoot. So again how is it Davis is a labeled a shooter and those 2 aren’t?

Ugh. Ive already explained this to you multiple times. If you can’t figure out why the guy who shoots better on more than twice the volume from both the free throw line and from 3 is labeled a shooter and the other guy isn’t then I can’t help you. I’m not going to keep clogging up  the thread. 

1 hour ago, Dillion said:

Every player will find himself wide open from time to time. Players that shoot or create when they are not wide open and make them at a high volume are more valuable.

It’s about ability, confidence, repetition etc. Someone has to score for a team to win and if you wait for a player to be wide open, you just aren’t going to put up points. You need players to create their own shot and be able to knock down shots with a hand in their face. 

it’s like arguing Craig Hodges was every bit as valuable as Steph Curry

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Every player will find himself wide open from time to time. Players that shoot or create when they are not wide open and make them at a high volume are more valuable.

It’s about ability, confidence, repetition etc. Someone has to score for a team to win and if you wait for a player to be wide open, you just aren’t going to put up points. You need players to create their own shot and be able to knock down shots with a hand in their face. 

it’s like arguing Craig Hodges was every bit as valuable as Steph Curry

I’m confused. In your example is Antoine Davis the Steph Curry?   Hehehehee

5 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

I'd rather get funky and go with XJ, JHS, Bates, Geronimo at the 4, and TJD at the 5. First off the bench are Race and Galloway. 

Race isn’t coming back to be a bench player. If anything they sold him on being TJD’s replacement. If they both come back Geronimo is in all  likelihood competing for a starting spot at the 3

The problem I see with Davis is that if he is a quantity shooter, that takes away from other offensive opportunities.  I would rather have the lock down "D" player that is only a few pct points behind the volume shooter!  To me, Davis is a Bracey Wright type of player.  Been there done that, NO THANKS!  I really feel that CMW is going towards a super athletic team, which I'm fine with, that is where basketball is going.  The pct at the rim is the one thing that bothers me about Dennis, but I don't watch them play so I wouldn't know exactly what all the scenarios are for that stat.