Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

10 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

And yet our defense was still #24 nationally at the end of the year.

Defense is not a weakness. Shooting is.

Yes, about 14 spots too low.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:23 PM, HoosierHoops1 said:

AAC defensive player of the year? Wonder if our need in a lot of games was a dude stopping Murray, a dude stopping Davis, a Dude stopping Ivey, a Dude stopping Boeheim , a Dude stopping Logan Johnson etc? It seems like we were in the drivers seat in a lot of games and our inability to shut down the hot hand was instrumental in our defeat. 

Or you could look at it the other way, our inability to hit the ocean while standing on a boat could have won any of those games. Defense was never the issue last year. We have enough on defense to be really solid. We need shot makers in the worst way possible and the solution to that is Dexter Dennis? No thanks. I want Bates to get all of those minutes because he has the potential to be way better on offense.

12 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Mike Davis’s son is transferring from Detroit Mercy for his 5th and final year. Sign me up. Kid can flat out score the basketball. Averaged 24 pts a game last year, which was third best in the country. Shot 38, 32, 37 & 37 percent from three in 4 seasons, with 3.6 rebounds and 4.4 assists.

THIS ^^^^^!!!!!!

Travis Branham - There are now 1,317 names on the transfer list.  On the morning of April 15, 2021 there were 1,370 names on the transfer list.  452 of the transfers on this day in 2021 were already committed.  Currently, 210 players have made a decision on their transfer destination.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol...no way.

Bringing a 6'0", low-defense, ball-dominant two guard onto a veteran team is a recipe for complete disaster.

Do y'all realize that during his four years at Detroit Mercy he has taken about 35% of his teams' shots?!? That's crazy.

His game most certainly does NOT translate to playing for a veteran, defense-minded team that switches screens on defense and has multiple guards ready for significant minutes.

No. Way.

Agree. 

And honestly the portal is a mixed bag to me. I don’t like the shiny new thing grab a player thing. 

We need outside shooting, but we also have major potential in 2-way players on the team who are growing into major players— Geronimo and Bates. Guys who know Woodson’s system, have returning chemistry with the team, are fully bought in, and who do a lot more than just score, and who have big time upside.

Running out and picking up some other team’s shooter at the likely expense of losing JG or Bates? Count me out.

Woodson needs to play them more and not just roll back a kopp starting lineup or grab another shooter after bringing Race back. Kopp’s a shooter, he can help, but he’s not a guy who creates his own shot and he doesn’t bring much more. Bates is a good shooter and his game will be a lot better as a soph. Geronimo is a monster in the making, a lot like OG, his stroke is good, with continuing handle growth he can play the wing or 4.

That lineup that @HoosierCoop posted (TJD, Race, JG, JHS, X) is exactly what I hope to see. Athletic, dynamic guard and wing play, strong and experienced up front, 2-way players, high energy across all spots, and real chemistry 

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol...no way.

Bringing a 6'0", low-defense, ball-dominant two guard onto a veteran team is a recipe for complete disaster.

Do y'all realize that during his four years at Detroit Mercy he has taken about 35% of his teams' shots?!? That's crazy.

His game most certainly does NOT translate to playing for a veteran, defense-minded team that switches screens on defense and has multiple guards ready for significant minutes.

No. Way.

Yeah I think he is 6’0” but only like 165 lbs….. wouldn’t hold up in the Big Ten

2 hours ago, Demo said:

https://iufilmroom.com/breakdown/dexter-dennis-film-room/

Tony Adragna’s breakdown of Dexter Dennis, unlocked for today. I recommend checking it out. Tony does good, good work.

Notes here he was 6/42 on closely-guarded 3s last year. That means he hit 38% of his other ones, for those who’ve been concerned about shooting.

19 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Mike Davis’s son is transferring from Detroit Mercy for his 5th and final year. Sign me up. Kid can flat out score the basketball. Averaged 24 pts a game last year, which was third best in the country. Shot 38, 32, 37 & 37 percent from three in 4 seasons, with 3.6 rebounds and 4.4 assists.

I saw something on social media saying he's #22 on the NCAA all time scoring list. I'm not sure if that's true but good for him, if so. That said. I don't think IU wants him and I'm fine with that for the reasons others have already pointed out 

13 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Notes here he was 6/42 on closely-guarded 3s last year. That means he hit 38% of his other ones, for those who’ve been concerned about shooting.

That is helpful- he is solid when open- provides some context.  So now the Butler kid is off the table, is Dennis IU's to lose? 

13 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

That is helpful- he is solid when open- provides some context.  So now the Butler kid is off the table, is Dennis IU's to lose? 

Seems like that is the plan.  If that happens, Reneau only has a spot if someone leaves. 

So Reneau is only if we lose TJD, JG, or someone else?  Maybe Miller Kopp

Kinda bums me out because I want 5. TJD/Duncomb 4. Race/Reneau 3. JG/Banks

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seems like that is the plan.  If that happens, Reneau only has a spot if someone leaves

So Reneau is only if we lose TJD, JG, or someone else?  Maybe Miller Kopp

Kinda bums me out because I want 5. TJD/Duncomb 4. Race/Reneau 3. JG/Banks

Exactly my thoughts. I hate to say it, but I am a little disappointed Kopp hasn't moved on. If he was a knock down shooter, sure, but he was underwhelming and a below avg perimeter defender. Moderate upgrades at Stewart and Kopp's positions and IU is a much better team, even if no one else improves, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Exactly my thoughts. I hate to say it, but I am a little disappointed Kopp hasn't moved on. If he was a knock down shooter, sure, but he was underwhelming and a below avg perimeter defender. Moderate upgrades at Stewart and Kopp's positions and IU is a much better team, even if no one else improves, IMO. 

To put it in NBA terms, Miller Kopp is a niche player who only has one year left on his soon to expire contract. He is also a very positive locker room influence.

There may be a player without a 'plus niche', who is not a locker room leader, and who has three years left on their contract who would be a better choice should we need to make room for Reneau.

42 minutes ago, lillurk said:

That doesn’t really make me feel any better.. If he took 42 ‘closely guarded’ threes last year, that’s 35% of all the threes he took. So over a third of the 3s on the year he took on a shot he shoots 14% on. Makes me question his shot selection. 

The guy isn’t a good shooter. Whether folks think his other attributes make up for his lack of shooting is one thing, but there’s no way to spin him as anything other than a very meh 3 pt shooter.