Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Yeah, we need to be able to shoot the ball. But if that’s not going to drastically improve, and thus far it hasn’t seemed to trend that direction, then give me a guy who can put a good defensive team over the top to a great/elite defensive team. Great defense travels, takes away dependency on the three, and turns into more offensive opportunities and transition scoring.

And say the guys we have do obtain a modicum of improvement in their shooting. Now you potentially have lockdown D that makes an extra couple of threes per game even tougher for your opposition to overcome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

54 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Dexter at 53

iu transfers not in top 75 

The scouting quoted here on him literally mentions he’s a good catch-and-shoot player. I’d love to see the Synergy #s on that type of 3 vs. off-the-dribble for him, and closely guarded, late clock, etc.

7 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

We have defense.  He's a guy you add if you have shooters and need to shore up defense.  We should be trying to address needs, not add someone that compounds a problem

He'd be a great get for someone that needs defense, he's not for someone that needs shooting.

No one would argue that we don't need to be a better shooting team. But our shooting doesn't magically make a 180 with 1 player from the portal. If we compare McNeil and Dennis, of course McNeil is the better shooter. But how much of a difference does he make compared to Dennis? We can never know for sure. When we're talking about improved shooting, we're all pretty hyper-focused on 3 point shooting, and rightfully so. McNeil made 1.8 threes per game last season. Dennis made 1.3. So a difference of 1.5 points per game. Dennis was the best defender in his conference. I have no clue what McNeil's defensive abilities are but I'm guessing not quite what Dennis' are. It's entirely conceivable that Dennis affects the game defensively to the tune of at least 1.5 points which neutralizes the advantage McNeil has in 3 point shooting. AND Dennis was only a 30% 3 point shooter this last year. His other 3 seasons combined he was a 35.8% 3 point shooter. Everything we see about the kid says he'll come here and work his tail off and be an excellent teammate and culture guy. And at 6'5", 210, he has the ability to switch and guard several positions. 

Now, I know I'm only making the comparison to one other player we're in the mix for. And some of this is guessing. But my point is it is quite a stretch to say that Dennis would compound a problem. He could arguably be a much bigger help to this team than any one player who shoots a bit better from 3 point range. There is much bigger picture to look at. 

46 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I wonder if Dexter Dennis would be a hypothetical replacement for Geronimo if Race and Trayce return. 

I wouldn't think so. Dennis is a wing and JG is a 4. We'd still need to replace JG if for some reason he left. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I wouldn't think so. Dennis is a wing and JG is a 4. We'd still need to replace JG if for some reason he left. 

Probably true, but there’s some logic to it if Woody wants to speed up pace of play, believes Trayce and Race are both coming back, and that they’re genuinely in on Reneau. Then, you’d be rotating Trayce/Race/Reneau through the 4/5 with Banks and maybe Duncomb finding some niche minutes, and X/JHS/Bates/Galloway/Dennis on the perimeter. But, that only makes sense if everything falls exactly like that. Otherwise, not so much. But, I think that would be a very good and interesting team.

Just now, Demo said:

Probably true, but there’s some logic to it if Woody wants to speed up pace of play, believes Trayce and Race are both coming back, and that they’re genuinely in on Reneau. Then, you’d be rotating Trayce/Race/Reneau through the 4/5 with Banks and maybe Duncomb finding some niche minutes, and X/JHS/Bates/Galloway/Dennis on the perimeter. But, that only makes sense if everything falls exactly like that. Otherwise, not so much. But, I think that would be a very good and interesting team.

True, and maybe it's semantics, but in that scenario Reneau would be the JG replacement and Dennis would sort of replace Stewart if we're getting that granular. 

27 minutes ago, Demo said:

"What about me?!?"  #sadMiller

Video: Miller Kopp Media Availability Before Nebraska - 24sSports

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

True, and maybe it's semantics, but in that scenario Reneau would be the JG replacement and Dennis would sort of replace Stewart if we're getting that granular. 

True. And I learned a new thing this morning that required my brain to punt a piece of information for added space, and Miller Kopp was that piece of information. Forgot completely about him.

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

True. And I learned a new thing this morning that required my brain to punt a piece of information for added space, and Miller Kopp was that piece of information. Forgot completely about him.

"Yaaay! Demo still loves me!"   #reassuredMiller

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

And yet our defense was still #24 nationally at the end of the year.

Defense is not a weakness. Shooting is.

Adding a player that has the strong potential to move the team up several spots in the national defense ranking would have a far more positive impact on winning than adding a player that shoots a few percentage points better from 3. Also, if TJD leaves along with his shot blocking/altering ability, a strong perimeter defender will help make his departure less of a step back. 

Besides, there are 3 routes to improving the shooters on a team, it doesn't make much sense to focus exclusively on only one of them, especially one that is relatively high effort low reward.

4 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

Adding a player that has the strong potential to move the team up several spots in the national defense ranking would have a far more positive impact on winning than adding a player that shoots a few percentage points better from 3.

Last year we ranked 197th nationally in three-point shooting percentage.  A two point improvement would have moved us to a tie for 55th.  A three point improvement to a tie for 29th.   I do love the idea of having an elite D.  But outside shooting is the glaring weakness.  Without it we struggle to build and maintain leads, which in turn increases the burden on our D.  Shooters, yes, please!