Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

AAC defensive player of the year? Wonder if our need in a lot of games was a dude stopping Murray, a dude stopping Davis, a Dude stopping Ivey, a Dude stopping Boeheim , a Dude stopping Logan Johnson etc? It seems like we were in the drivers seat in a lot of games and our inability to shut down the hot hand was instrumental in our defeat. 

Most of those guys were being guarded by Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp and sans a few people, most of us wondered why they were in there

we had two of our best defensive players in Galloway and Geronimo on the bench

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Dexter friggin Dennis was his conference’s defensive player of the year at 6’5”. That’s a odd size to be conference player of the year. Not blocking shots at the rim and not stealing from ball handlers, yet he won it anyway.

Let this sink in: The conference’s coaches thought he was a better defender than anybody on Sampson‘s Houston team.

That’s a big time add. I AGREE … he doesn’t  solve our outside shooting problems, but it’s a big add nonetheless. 

And from the WSU board:

I wish nothing but the best for him. Seems like a super good dude. It would be hard to find anybody who doesn't like Dex other than the dude he's guarding.

We have defense.  He's a guy you add if you have shooters and need to shore up defense.  We should be trying to address needs, not add someone that compounds a problem. 

He'd be a great get for someone that needs defense, he's not for someone that needs shooting.

9 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

AAC defensive player of the year? Wonder if our need in a lot of games was a dude stopping Murray, a dude stopping Davis, a Dude stopping Ivey, a Dude stopping Boeheim , a Dude stopping Logan Johnson etc? It seems like we were in the drivers seat in a lot of games and our inability to shut down the hot hand was instrumental in our defeat. 

And yet our defense was still #24 nationally at the end of the year.

Defense is not a weakness. Shooting is.

9 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Speaking of..has there been anything else said about simas other than that photo? It was brought up on reddit and the butler fans were not happy about it lol

Depending on who you talk to he may or may not have been on campus yesterday. IU is taking one of the two. They will wait till after the Dennis visit to let him decide. 

Having someone close to me in the Butler basketball office, I watched every game the kid can play. Matta is begging him to come back, and he probably will if Dennis comes to IU. 

Let me add we will still take McNeil too

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Depending on who you talk to he may or may not have been on campus yesterday. IU is taking one of the two. They will wait till after the Dennis visit to let him decide. 

Having someone close to me in the Butler basketball office, I watched every game the kid can play. Matta is begging him to come back, and he probably will if Dennis comes to IU. 

Who offers the team most upside in your opinion?  Seems as if Dennis provides more defense, would be light years better defending other starting guards instead of Kopp and Stewart and is a wild card on the offensive end but the kid from Butler probably has the highest upside due to his age?  

Is it safe to say Dennis would have been our best wing defender last season had he been on the team?  If so, sign me up.  Lean on JHS/Banks/Gunn to bring the 3pt shooting to the team in addition to any improvements that we see from current guys.  

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

Who offers the team most upside in your opinion?  Seems as if Dennis provides more defense, would be light years better defending other starting guards instead of Kopp and Stewart and is a wild card on the offensive end but the kid from Butler probably has the highest upside due to his age?  

Yeah, I go with the kid from Butler. But I think either will help. We have a lot of moving parts here. We're taking one of the two, we still want the 5-star Reneu, and we still want Mcneil. If everything happens who leaves? Lots of stuff going on that maybe the staff knows but we don't.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah, I go with the kid from Butler. But I think either will help. We have a lot of moving parts here. We're taking one of the two, we still want the 5-star Reneu, and we still want Mcneil. If everything happens who leaves? Lots of stuff going on that maybe the staff knows but we don't.

thanks for the input.  Id love to get one of Dennis or Kid from Butler, then Reneu and McNeill.  Sounds as if there is potential of a wild card leaving and their doing the due diligence to fill the gap should it happen.  Or maybe someone is forced out if we nabbed three of the four mentioned.    

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

thanks for the input.  Id love to get one of Dennis or Kid from Butler, then Reneu and McNeill.  Sounds as if there is potential of a wild card leaving and their doing the due diligence to fill the gap should it happen.  Or maybe someone is forced out if we nabbed three of the four mentioned.    

Would that be called someone taken to the Woodshed? 

We have a solid core still technically on the team and we should do everything possible to keep that core. We should also be looking at what that core is missing and filling those voids.

Dennis seems like a good player and person but doesn’t fill any major void. That void being a multi-dimensional offensive player, able to create his own shot from 3, mid-range and driving to the hoop

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mike Woodson (talking to himself): "I'm a nice person and I'll always support the kids during the time they're with us, but I'll be damned if you think 21-14 is acceptable. Durr, Stewart, Lander? Hell no. I made it completely clear to them that it wasn't working out for them at IU. That was a first year thing and I didn't like it much. So,  I'll be damned if you think I'm ever turning down the chance to upgrade my chances of winning."

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

We have a solid core still technically on the team and we should do everything possible to keep that core. We should also be looking at what that core is missing and filling those voids.

Dennis seems like a good player and person but doesn’t fill any major void. That void being a multi-dimensional offensive player, able to create his own shot from 3, mid-range and driving to the hoop

I haven't watched many highlights of him but from what I'm told he would be the best defensive player on the floor, the best at getting to the rim with the exception of X, and he shoots the 3 better than Galloway. I think the staff is getting to the point of do we need an Anthony Leal at the end of the bench?

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Mike Woodson (talking to himself): "I'm a nice person and I'll always support the kids during the time they're with us, but I'll be damned if you think 21-14 is acceptable. Durr, Stewart, Lander? Hell no. I made it completely clear to them that it wasn't working out for them at IU. That was a first year thing and I didn't like it much. So,  I'll be damned if you think I'm ever turning down the chance to upgrade my chances of winning."

With everyone were recruiting, I'm worried and working on my game if I'm Logan and Leal. 

10 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Do we need another Galloway? 

I'm trying to see how this one makes sense. He seems like the type you add if you have starting guards that are both shooting 40%+ from 3 and you're trying to shore up some defense. 

I'm sure he can be a good player and contributor on a good team, just not at IU right now.

Galloway, TJD, and Geronimo were far and away our most active, disruptive defenders. When Galloway was out our defense suffered. A lot. Dexter Dennis is Galloway with a much better jump shot. It's not a great jump shot, but it's a Xavier Johnson "good when unguarded" jump shot. 

So yes, we need another Galloway, and Dennis is at least that.

44 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Mike Woodson likely talks to Mike Woodson only in the 3rd person.

I think the staff would like it if the AAC DPOY was also a dead-eye shooter, but if he was he’d be in the draft.

As pointed out above, CMW correctly identified shooting as an offensive weakness. Dennis isn’t a great shooter but, as @Stuhoo said, he’s an upgrade on Galloway in that department right now.

Shooting can be developed, too. I understand the hesitance to assume Bates will be a high-volume, high-% shooter next year, but sophomores who scouts say can shoot and who have the green light from their coaches are a terrific bet to improve in that area.

IU’s defense was good, but a little short of truly elite last year, and the leaks were on the wing. Dennis addresses that well. He’s a good fit with the type of 2/wing CMW has targeted; clearly long, athletics defenders are a priority. That also tells me CMW thinks he and the staff can teach/develop shooting 

IU (like every team) has two avenues to get better next year: get better on offense or get better on defense. Of course they can do both, but just because the defense was good doesn’t mean it can’t be improved upon. More Bates, Galloway, Geronimo, JHS, and a wing defender like Dennis helps on defense. Some of those players also likely improve the offense, even without massive shooting gains, when you consider whose minutes they’re replacing.

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

I think the staff would like it if the AAC DPOY was also a dead-eye shooter, but if he was he’d be in the draft.

Thank you! The player everyone wants out of the portal will never be in the portal, because that's an NBA player.

We need talent upgrades and I'm not sure what that looks like if a conference DPOY doesn't check that box.