Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

On 4/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, Stuhoo said:

Here's what you are missing in my opinion:

If we are looking at hard-nosed, medium stats guys, that may mean we are considering the possibility that we will need to add an excellent 7th/8th/9th guy in our rotation, and therein that the key players in our rotation may stay in place.

In that sense, it may be a cause for optimism that we are not looking at someone that expects to take volume shots or have the ball in their hands to be effective.

In the end though, if he's going to make the rotation he needs to bring something to the table. He shot 35% overall from the field last year and only 30% from 3. 5.5 rebounds per game isn't bad but it's also not overly impressive. Unless he's a defensive POY candidate, then count me in the group of not understanding why this would be a fit.

With that list of suitors I would sure hope at least someone could keep Pack out of Stinktown.  I think it will depend on how much he really wants to be back in Indiana versus what is really best for his professional stock.  Declaring for the draft before entering the portal and specifically wanting to play his natural position speaks pretty loudly to NBA aspirations and potential, and Purdue is about to have their first lottery pick in 28 years.  Not exactly a strong NBA pedigree up there.  Plus with Brandon Newman and Ethan Morton being the only returning guards to share the backcourt with and one of your primary jobs as PG being to basically toss volleyball sets to Edey, that doesn't sound like the most conducive system for NBA development when you can play off of and beside 5-star athletic freaks at Duke, Tennessee, etc. 

Is Pack a good defender? Purdue really needs guards who can defend at a high level. If they aren't significantly improved on that end of the floor next season, they won't survive the tourney's first weekend. 

22 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

TheHoosier.com has confirmed that Indiana has reached out to Morehead State 6-foot-10 transfer Johni Broome. Averaged 16.8 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.9 blocks this season. Obviously there could be potential to replace a lot of production in the front court.

Apparently Gonzaga is VERY heavily in pursuit of him.  

5 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

What am I missing here? This guy looks extremely average: 5.5ppg 40% FG, 30% 3P, 66% FT, maybe a decent rebounder.....I can see not kicking him off your team if you already have him, maybe your 8th man, but to actively reach out to him as a transfer? I don't understand. IU needs talent and Luis is a dime a dozen D1 player that does nothing particularly well. I hope he just made up that IU is interested. 

Yes, I'm not seeing him as a big splash.  I think he's a pretty good defender (he was sixth in the SEC in steals this past year and think was better than that the year before).  Liked his 2020-21 season better than this past year when he shot 45/33 and had 6.3 rebounds and 2 assists/game.

To me he looks like a taller, better rebounding but less able ball handling version of Rob Phinisee.  There is some value in him but I just see him as a rotational bench guy at best.

Here's what you are missing in my opinion:
If we are looking at hard-nosed, medium stats guys, that may mean we are considering the possibility that we will need to add an excellent 7th/8th/9th guy in our rotation, and therein that the key players in our rotation may stay in place.
In that sense, it may be a cause for optimism that we are not looking at someone that expects to take volume shots or have the ball in their hands to be effective.

I like the optimism. I can get on board with this

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Doug Edert to the portal - yes please

389FF5AA-F2F7-452B-8CDF-CDD29A3B393C.jpeg

This is the sad part of the portal, guys that were keys to their team, were not limited in opportunity or circumstance, are beginning to just jump ship at any potential possibility of the chance of  added exposure or promises of NIL $$. Not sure they shouldn't be allowed to, but there is tons of potential bad actors to get involved with the portal and the NIL. 

This almost seems like the wild west of pharma years back when they would line the pockets of doctors for scripts written for obscenely priced drugs.

There needs to be some well thought out regulation of both the portal and the NIL before it makes the 1980's bag man look like a saint in comparison.

Maybe 2yr minimum at original school  for no sit transfer with coaching change exception.

Or possibly no NIL for 1 year after a transfer.

17 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

This is the sad part of the portal, guys that were keys to their team, were not limited in opportunity or circumstance, are beginning to just jump ship at any potential possibility of the chance of  added exposure or promises of NIL $$. Not sure they shouldn't be allowed to, but there is tons of potential bad actors to get involved with the portal and the NIL. 

This almost seems like the wild west of pharma years back when they would line the pockets of doctors for scripts written for obscenely priced drugs.

There needs to be some well thought out regulation of both the portal and the NIL before it makes the 1980's bag man look like a saint in comparison.

Maybe 2yr minimum at original school with coaching change exception for a no sit yr transfer.

At the same time if I could get into a better academic school through this exposure, I imagine I’d do it. 

21 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Maybe 2yr minimum at original school with coaching change exception for a no sit yr transfer.

Won't happen. The whole purpose of NIL and free transfers was about one thing and one thing only: helping the rich get richer. The NCAA wants the big schools at the top. Teams like St. Peter's are a nuisance, and this puts them back in their place. 

4 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

At the same time if I could get into a better academic school through this exposure, I imagine I’d do it. 

I like the opportunity for the player to improve his position, but the fact that the schools that already have infinitely more recruiting resources are now basically allowed to cherry pick players they missed on with NIL money just seems like a  soon to be realized end to the Cinderella teams. They are making the small schools like the D league.