Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

On 3/18/2022 at 9:58 AM, brumdog45 said:

Sam Griesel (North Dakota State) enters the portal.  I saw him play against South Dakota State in the Summit championship and he was really impressive that game.  He's not great at any one aspect but is very good at a lot of things.

6'6" wing, 220 pound wing, averaged 14.3 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 3.4 assists this year.  Shot 48%/38%/76%.  One year of eligibilty left.

FWIW, he's already heard from Ohio State, Loyola (Ill), Creighton, Northwestern, Nebraska, Stanford, Penn State, and Colorado State among others.

Griesel committed to Nebraska today.  Good get for them.

11 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

For sure, it will be interesting to watch the annual roster purge in Lincoln.  Most analysts are expecting the younger McGowens to turn pro.

FWIW, Griesel grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska.  I believe he wanted to play for the Huskerd but wasn’t given an offer out of high school.

8 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

For sure, it will be interesting to watch the annual roster purge in Lincoln.  Most analysts are expecting the younger McGowens to turn pro.

I just saw where McGowan is declaring for the draft

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just saw where McGowan is declaring for the draft

Smart man, I would get the hell out of Lincoln as well if I were a late first 1st.  The interesting frosh decisions across the B1G IMO will be Christie at MSU, Branham at OSU, and Houston & Diabate at UM.  I am guessing Christie stays, Branham goes, and we will see with the UM pair (this next week may shape a lot of that narrative.) Should be a fun few weeks to watch!

6 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ranked #1 is Noah Friedel.  I posted about him a few pages ago — played at South Dakota Stats, very talented, last year missed the second half of the season with depression issues. Missed 17 games this year for undisclosed reasons.

Ricky Lindo (6'8" forward) transferring from George Washington.  Played at Maryland for two seasons, getting about 10 minutes per game.  Played the last two years at George Washington.  In 20-21 played seven games before he got injured -- was averaging 11 points and 11 rebounds before the injury.  This year he averaged 7.7 points and 7.8 rebounds in 28 minutes/game.  Did expand his game to include a perimeter shot, hitting 23 of 61 from deep this year.  More of a rebounder than scorer. 

Really interesting follow in the portal. A kid named Alex Tchikou, 6’10” PF who is transferring from Bama. Was a top 50ish kid in the ‘21 class who played at Dream City Academy in Phoenix. Had a great offer list. Signed with Bama and reclassified to ‘20. Blew out his Achilles in the fall and didn’t play that year. Came back this year and didn’t play a lick. Would love to know the backstory with this. Saw Dream City at a showcase event and, athletically,  that kid is a pro. Exceptional run and jump athlete who can really move his feet. Long. Good frame. Needs skill development, but has 3 pt range. Played hard. Will be fascinated to see where he lands. 

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Grant Brazile from Wright St in the portal as a grad transfer. Pretty good player if you like your bigs of the below the rim variety. Imagine he’ll have some very good offers.

18.4 ppg and 8.5 rpg last season.  Didn't shoot it well from three (39 of 138) but did shoot pretty well from three the previous year (20 of 42).  Scored 21 points against Arizona in the first round of the tournament this year.

26 minutes ago, Demo said:

Grant Brazile from Wright St in the portal as a grad transfer. Pretty good player if you like your bigs of the below the rim variety. Imagine he’ll have some very good offers.

Personally, I'm not entralled with going into the portal and grabbing a kid I know I'll only  have for 1 year and I've got to turn around and replace him again next year.  I'd prefer a Sparks simply because at least going in, I'll have him for more than a single season.  Now having said that,  I'm well aware that with the landscape the way it is,  I'm not guaranteed to have any player for more than a single season but I'd still opt for the younger player vs. a known 1-year rental.

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Probably one to follow for IU fans 

That would be a great pick up if we can land him. I remember that IU was recruiting him before. Probably a long shot since IU didn't make his final list, though.