Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I just don’t really see how he’d only be a ‘marginal improvement’ over Galloway. Sure he hasn’t been the 5 star, top 25 guy people expected. But, he averaged 10/7 last year in 24 mpg. That’s more points and rebounds than Race Thompson in fewer minutes. Trey isn’t going to get meaningful minutes next year. I feel pretty confident saying that. Keion would get minutes next year. A good amount, imo. So right away we’d be adding a contributor in place of someone who won’t contribute. 

I don’t know much of anything about Keion’s personality, but I haven’t seen anything that says he’s a bad teammate. He’s very good friends with our best player so I don’t see him causing issues. 

The original statement wasn't about a comparison between Brooks and Galloway.  The question was about how much Brooks improved our team.  It's not likely Galloway minutes he would be taking this year -- Galloway probably isn't going to play much either way.  The minutes he would take would likely come from a collection of Race, Geronimo, Kopp, and Hunter.  Personally, I see it as only a marginal improvement.

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The original statement wasn't about a comparison between Brooks and Galloway.  The question was about how much Brooks improved our team.  It's not likely Galloway minutes he would be taking this year -- Galloway probably isn't going to play much either way.  The minutes he would take would likely come from a collection of Race, Geronimo, Kopp, and Hunter.  Personally, I see it as only a marginal improvement.

I agree and disagree at the same time.  I agree it’s only marginal improvement but if he’s taking over more minutes from Hunter then the marginal improvement widens.  I disagree that Galloway isn’t going to play much but we will see.

Let’s just win baby! That starts with talent - so find the best we can, whenever we can get it and develop it into a cohesive unit and positive culture. This isn’t the 70’s where it’s all static for 4 years. That’s Woody’s job!! Brooks is athletic and brings a bunch..objectively  well above some of the other guys. With right attitude, which from the looks he has had at KY in a sometimes topsy turvy situation the past two years, he can improve team and culture beyond marginal level...and a lot of games are won by small margins!!! Galloway is an awesome, tough nosed Hoosier kid...he has, can, and will continue to contribute in any/every way he can. Pre-injury, he Showed he wanted it the most on the court  above others a lot of the time. It ain’t always an either or...things work themselves out. let’s support the process, especially the players - and just win baby!

3 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I agree and disagree at the same time.  I agree it’s only marginal improvement but if he’s taking over more minutes from Hunter then the marginal improvement widens.  I disagree that Galloway isn’t going to play much but we will see.

I am higher on Hunter than most.  But I think Brooks coming in likely see the exit of a player now and potentially one later if they feel they are going to get PT.

10 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

Let’s just win baby! That starts with talent - so find the best we can, whenever we can get it and develop it into a cohesive unit and positive culture. This isn’t the 70’s where it’s all static for 4 years. That’s Woody’s job!! Brooks is athletic and brings a bunch..objectively  well above some of the other guys. With right attitude, which from the looks he has had at KY in a sometimes topsy turvy situation the past two years, he can improve team and culture beyond marginal level...and a lot of games are won by small margins!!! Galloway is an awesome, tough nosed Hoosier kid...he has, can, and will continue to contribute in any/every way he can. Pre-injury, he Showed he wanted it the most on the court  above others a lot of the time. It ain’t always an either or...things work themselves out. let’s support the process, especially the players - and just win baby!

Well it  would be an either or situation as for Brooks if he enters the portal. Either a current Hoosier "chooses" to continue his playing career elsewhere or Brooks wont be a Hoosier.

Cohesion is a key. A talented team without cohesion is not a winning team. Brooks is a talent, no doubt. But would Brooks' presence compliment or detract from what now looks like a talented and cohesive team? It's not clear that he would, imo. He would not be the primary scoring on next year's squad. Would Brooks be any more happy playing a complimentary role to TJD, Xavier Johnson and maybe others than he has been at Kentucky?

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Cohesion is a key. A talented team without cohesion is not a winning team. Brooks is a talent, no doubt. But would Brooks' presence compliment or detract from what now looks like a talented and cohesive team? It's not clear that he would, imo. He would not be the primary scoring on next year's squad. Would Brooks be any more happy playing a complimentary role to TJD, Xavier Johnson and maybe others than he has been at Kentucky?

His role at Kentucky had been a complimentary one....he certainly has not begun a feature player.

For me, the way his recruitment went down left a bad taste in my mouth to begin with.  Getting heavily recruited by Indiana, you choose to go to rival 1 or 1a depending on what part of the state you are from and then his parents bad mouthed the fanbase.
And his career at UK turned out just about like everyone said it would.  He was not the typical Calipari "I could be in the NBA right now if not for the rules" player and it showed.  So now we are supposed to boot a kid off the team who has committed and fought through some really tough years to make room for him?  I mean if he comes I will support the kid, but I don't want to boot Jerome or Rob or Galloway or Leal to make room for Brooks.  
He made his bed.
I get it. Emotions drive a lot of opinions in sports. There is part of me that would never want LeBron James on the Pacers because I don't particularly care for him. However, if he ever did play for the Pacers I would be all in and I wouldn't particularly care if they had to trade one of my favorite players to get him. I want the best players on my teams that play their hardest a d give us the best chance to win....regardless of what their past was like or how I view them as a person. Note: I am not comparing Brooks to LeBron James as players.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, mbredenk101 said:

Sorry about that...

No prob.   Definitely not the only one.   Last 4 days almost everything in here is about Brooks.  If he ever puts his name in the portal then we can pick up the talk.  I get the intrigue but until he is in the portal it’s a mute point 

1 hour ago, mbredenk101 said:

I'm not sure why there is so much negative talk about Brooks. He obviously came out of high school as a highly regarded talent. Why couldn't his college career just be a "fit" situation? Much like Justin Smith. Justin seemed to thrive at his new school. If Brooks is available and wants to come and Woodson sees how he would contribute to winning...you take him and make it work. No one would have cared one bit when Archie was struggling to win if he would have taken a Brooks type player and pushed someone else out of it potentially meant more wins.

Problem is when CMW says: 

"My first job is to sit down with each one of them and talk about staying in Hoosier Nation. You know, that's what's important. And if I got to plead and beg a little bit to keep them here, I'm going to do that."

Then you have 13 guys sign up to go to war with you.

Essential leaving a man behind is not a good look or where I want the program to be.

You could make a bit of a justification for a program changing talent, but Brooks is not that.

I take these 13 and expect improvement, next year through normal attrition (early NBA/ PT transfers) there will be more space made available and the following yr there is 4 open spots

20 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

I get it. Emotions drive a lot of opinions in sports. There is part of me that would never want LeBron James on the Pacers because I don't particularly care for him. However, if he ever did play for the Pacers I would be all in and I wouldn't particularly care if they had to trade one of my favorite players to get him. I want the best players on my teams that play their hardest a d give us the best chance to win....regardless of what their past was like or how I view them as a person. Note: I am not comparing Brooks to LeBron James as players.

He is a 6'7" player who shot 21% from 3 last year and 44% from the field.  He turned the ball over almost 2 times a game.  Yes he scored 10 points and pulled down almost 7 boards but he played on a team that won 9 games.  His Dad is a big mouth which can be detrimental to programs.  His time is ticking away to show he is NBA ready and he knows that.

Hunter has already been a role player. Hunter was worth 6 points and 3 rebounds with better 3 point percentage in 6 less minutes a game. Galloway is just getting started and had an injury hamper his freshman year and when you look at his stats, they are not much different from Brooks in his freshman year.

I just am not seeing Brooks as being all that big of an add.  We need guys who can space the floor and he is not that guy.  This is not a huge upgrade so why push a guy out for someone whose career has been underwhelming to date?

28 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Let’s keep this thread on track and about the transfer portal and the kids in it.    Brooks isn’t in the portal yet 

Sorry, saw this after my last post.  I will drop it.