Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Even if someone would leave the perception will be that they were pushed out to make room for Brooks. 

Yes, the optics would be bad. As I said earlier, if I remember correctly, some of the same people who are advocating creaning someone for Brooks, were the sane ones complaining about the perception of it happening under Crean and other coaches using that perception to tell recruits "it could happen to you if you go to IU". It boggles the mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Let me first point out that I’m pretty sure every player on this current roster is eligible next season and please don’t assume at this point what a player or players may do about the NBA...regardless we won’t have a 0 man class next year which means decisions will be made. To win a national championship and be a consistently great team tough decisions need to be made...even if that means making room for a better player...and I’m not even necessarily talking about Brooks. What happens if we’re in on a couple really good ‘22 prospects that want to play for CMW and IU? Are we going to say...”sorry, you’re a great player and would be a better option but we don’t want to hurt any feelings, we don’t have enough room for you and we’re worried that a few bloggers may think our optics will look bad to others.” That’s ridiculous and the answer to that question is a resounding NO. CMW will do what’s best for this team and choose players who he thinks give this team the best chance to bring us back to the Final Four. 

46 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Yes, the optics would be bad. As I said earlier, if I remember correctly, some of the same people who are advocating creaning someone for Brooks, were the sane ones complaining about the perception of it happening under Crean and other coaches using that perception to tell recruits "it could happen to you if you go to IU". It boggles the mind.

Heck, you only have to go back a couple of weeks ago to see satisfaction and happiness that various players were staying.  Now, a couple of those players are apparently expendable. SMH

49 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

There’s a difference between recruiting a kid, getting him to commit, and then pushing him out versus coming into a new job and pushing out an existing player you never recruited. Plus, things are different now with the portal than when Crean was here. It’s like NBA free agency only every player is on a one year contract. 

IF Brooks is truly going into the portal and coming to IU, I could see a reason why he would not be doing so right away.  Still has the semester to finish out at Kentucky......kind of a tough situation to be at UK while finishing up and having people know he's transferring to IU.

There’s a difference between recruiting a kid, getting him to commit, and then pushing him out versus coming into a new job and pushing out an existing player you never recruited. Plus, things are different now with the portal than when Crean was here. It’s like NBA free agency only every player is on a one year contract. 
Agree to disagree

There’s just no comparison between Galloway and Brooks. Brooks has a skill set that makes him a starter here and at the very least plays meaningful minutes. He was playing on a roster full of 5 star talent. Galloway goes to the end of the bench and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Leal play before him. CMW thankfully will not put us at a 4 on 5 disadvantage offensively.

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dang, your post really messed with me. It went from big font to medium font, too small font. For a second I thought I went to the edibles a little early this Friday afternoon. But after figuring it all out I agree with your post. I think

Haha yea - i was typing from my iPhone.

17 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What about Brooks makes you think he’s a head case? 

Drama queen would have been more accurate.  Seems from his recruitment until now there is always "something."

As for the argument about upgrading talent, I would agree he is a marginal improvement over Galloway...but they don't really play the same position so not sure that matters. IU already has several guys with the same skillset as Brooks...so what is the advantage of having 4 similar guys at the same spot? Roster management is more than just accumulating bodies. 9, maybe 10 guys will play. The other few should be developing for the future and be good team-mates. Does anyone think Brooks fills either of those roles? 

I don't like him or see how he improves the team. 

25 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I haven’t heard anything new, but do know TJD tried to convince Brooks a year ago and it was close to happening but KB’s dad wasn’t on board. TJD and KB are really good friends. Would be shocked if TJD wasn’t in his ear again now. And don’t know that anybody would be forced to leave. There’s a scholly guy whose family would be willing to pay their own way and go off athletic scholarship to get it done. But also think there’s a couple deep bench guy’s who might be looking at their options to increase their playing time with the influx of new talent we’ve brought in. 

Sounds like dad is living his dreams through Keion and dictating the terms along the way.

17 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Drama queen would have been more accurate.  Seems from his recruitment until now there is always "something."

As for the argument about upgrading talent, I would agree he is a marginal improvement over Galloway...but they don't really play the same position so not sure that matters. IU already has several guys with the same skillset as Brooks...so what is the advantage of having 4 similar guys at the same spot? Roster management is more than just accumulating bodies. 9, maybe 10 guys will play. The other few should be developing for the future and be good team-mates. Does anyone think Brooks fills either of those roles? 

I don't like him or see how he improves the team. 

I just don’t really see how he’d only be a ‘marginal improvement’ over Galloway. Sure he hasn’t been the 5 star, top 25 guy people expected. But, he averaged 10/7 last year in 24 mpg. That’s more points and rebounds than Race Thompson in fewer minutes. Trey isn’t going to get meaningful minutes next year. I feel pretty confident saying that. Keion would get minutes next year. A good amount, imo. So right away we’d be adding a contributor in place of someone who won’t contribute. 

I don’t know much of anything about Keion’s personality, but I haven’t seen anything that says he’s a bad teammate. He’s very good friends with our best player so I don’t see him causing issues. 

This whole headcase description is not accurate. Sorry. His dad is a former D-1 player and great high school player helicopter parent type. But Keion Jr. is not a headcase. He gets good grades and plays hard. Is he great? That's debatable. Should IU crean someone? I wouldn't, Keion could have taken Koop's spot right? I would never kick off a player like Galloway for a transfer. Never. Galloway has flaws but played as a freshman and at times played well. He brought intensity and an aggression and attitude that was much needed. I like Brooks but if they only way to get him is to kick a guy off the team, I don't want him. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I just don’t really see how he’d only be a ‘marginal improvement’ over Galloway. Sure he hasn’t been the 5 star, top 25 guy people expected. But, he averaged 10/7 last year in 24 mpg. That’s more points and rebounds than Race Thompson in fewer minutes. Trey isn’t going to get meaningful minutes next year. I feel pretty confident saying that. Keion would get minutes next year. A good amount, imo. So right away we’d be adding a contributor in place of someone who won’t contribute. 

I don’t know much of anything about Keion’s personality, but I haven’t seen anything that says he’s a bad teammate. He’s very good friends with our best player so I don’t see him causing issues. 

Ok, for the sake of argument, I'll grant Brooks is way better than Galloway. Still, as others have pointed out, it's not his minutes that are going to Brooks. It would make more sense to push out Race, Hunter or Geronimo from a PT perspective. They are the ones competing with Brooks, not Galloway.  

I suppose it will all work out, but I don't want Brooks at IU and if he does come I hope he (and his 21% 3pt shooting) ends up buried on the bench.  

So been catching up with this latest news/rumors.  Trey is probably the last player I would want to leave.  This dude plays with an attitude/edge to his game that we need.  You don’t think Dane Fife notices that and is probably working with him on his shot right now?  He is also a winner and knows how to play the game with his motor and going hard with constant movement/effort.  Don’t think as RMK guys Woodson and Fife doesn’t get this?  His play fell off last year post injury as he was restricted but he is a player and fills a void that is needed.  

Having said all that I think he absolutely gets minutes next year.  Not anything like last year and not like he will get as a junior/senior but he will play.  He is not the end of the bench that will never play type RIGHT NOW let alone in the coming years.  He will play.  
I’m on board with Brooks coming if it’s Hunter leaving but not Trey.