Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

5 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Could anyone on our team be on an academic scholarship or walk on?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I found out last night that athletes are not allowed to have academic scholarships thanks to @Brass Cannon. Leal's parents work at IU so he would qualify for half off tution. 

I think Brooks would be a really good get. I know it probably doesn't mean much at this point but subtracting him from Kentucky's roster on Bart Torvik makes them fall from 14 to 31 next year. I think he could be an elite defender next year and I have more faith in Woody to help develop his jumpshot than Cal at this point. I'd probably like him as a fit next to Trayce more than Race but that's just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I found out last night that athletes are not allowed to have academic scholarships thanks to @Brass Cannon. Leal's parents work at IU so he would qualify for half off tution. 

Sounds good for someone to voluntarily become a walk-on for numbers sake but not many examples where it has been done especially at IU.   McDermott did it when he played at Creighton for his senior year but his dad was coach.   There is a couple other examples but I would have to dig them up 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Sounds good for someone to voluntarily become a walk-on for numbers sake but not many examples where it has been done especially at IU.   McDermott did it when he played at Creighton for his senior year but his dad was coach.   There is a couple other examples but I would have to dig them up 

I just think it is awesome that you can name an example off the top of your head. I'm not saying I would do it if I was Leal but just saying if it had to be done that could be a possibility. 

I was thinking about a prep school year for an incoming recruit. Wouldn’t that open up a spot for Brooks?  I think this was done by Tom Coverdale.  I hadn’t seen this idea brought up and I realize the rules maybe have changed.  Just a thought.

At least we have something to talk about regards to recruiting and roster makeup.  That's fun.

I'm not as excited about Brooks as I was in the past but I would love it if the spot he is occupying doesn't create a riff or drama within iubb family.  

I thought and think Brooks fits in the role of Kopp positionally.  Different player but both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I would have strongly preferred Brooks in this scenario.  However, if Jerome Hunter isn't bought in and wants to leave that makes sense from a roster makeup standpoint.   It's all much murkier than it was a week ago.

Wonder what Tracye thinks.  Are we done yet?

Just now, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No scholarship player is going to become a walk-on. Just not going to happen. It's not about the money, it's about the status.

Truth, plus 14 is a ridiculous number.  13 is too really, but Ideally with a redshirt or 2 in the years of past it works better.  Purdue does more redshirts and they still see a lot of transfers.  It's going to happen more and more and there is nothing that can be done about it, but accept it.  So long as we are keeping our best and recruiting the best, the bottom 3 spots have little significance unless you have consistent mis-evaluations in recruiting.  And even then, those will transfer as well.  When the best players on your team transfer that's when questions arise.

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

The problem is that Brooks coming would almost certainly cause drama because it would necessitate the encouraged departure of one of our current players. If one of them leaves under their own volition, so be it. But I hate to see a talented player get pushed out the door for a player whose likely going to be a 1 year rental.

You know, it's funny. For all the talk about making the program more insular, being a family, establishing culture, we have an awful lot of people who are ready to kick one of our kids to the curb just to get a slightly better player(Not directed at you @WayneFleekHoosier). These two things don't really seem to jive.

Yeah, I don't feel great about it either, but I also want to win.  I'm not encouraging it either, that's why I think if this was going to happen it should have happened instead of Kopp.  However, I think with the coaching change, the right people with the right conversations can make this work if this is what they think is right for the team.  

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think we need to be realistic about Galloway’s trajectory, too. He’s a 6’4 wing who can’t shoot and doesn’t have great athleticism. He shot 31% from 3 and 63% from the free throw line in high school. As a senior, he shot 23% from 3 and 58% from the line. His free throw and three point percentages got worse as he progressed through high school. I know some see him as a potential Will Sheehey type, but Sheehey was 6’7, pretty athletic, and a serviceable shooter. Sheehey also struggled as a senior when he was no longer surrounded by elite talent. Woodson isn’t going to keep a kid around just because he’s from Indiana if he doesn’t think he’ll help the team. 

#1 — people that write off Galloway’s athleticism IMO are pigeon holing him.  He is a good athlete.

#2 — as a freshman and sophomore in high school — playing against much older players-/ he took a decent number of threes (near 200 I believe) and shot 37%.  The shot is fixable.

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I just think it is awesome that you can name an example off the top of your head. I'm not saying I would do it if I was Leal but just saying if it had to be done that could be a possibility. 

Andre Drummond was another one.   UConn was full and he played his only season at UConn as a walk-on 

If Jerome can make a leap this summer, I don't see that big of difference between he and Brooks.  I like what I saw out of Jerome toward the end of the season.  His 3 point shot was getting more consistent and he had no problem being a go-to guy when needed.  I saw his defense and post play improve as well.

I guess why rock the boat when we don't need to.