Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

All I have to say is if Magnas was averaging this in high school at Warsaw and had this same tape we would be all for signing him.  Over at HSN there is a huge thread about Luke Brown and there were plenty of people wanting him to go to IU.  At 6'4 and with his shooting ability I would take him any day of the week.

If say we had a chance a 2 players with proven D1 success against better competition then get them instead. But Mangas presents an interesting option with little risk. 

At IU he probably won’t score half what he does now but he could do some damage especially since he likely won’t attract the other teams top defenders. Not to pick on our bench but I could have seen him scoring a lot against them.  

He seems like an upgrade over Galloway, Leal and could push Hunter for minutes. That sounds like someone we should consider unless we have a definitive starter option in someone else. 

9 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I don't understand the criticism of Galloway.  I loved his energy and what he brought to the team.  He is the kind of teammate I would want on my every day of the week.  I thought he was one of the brightest spots on the team last year.

I think Galloway could be really good down the road but without an outside shot he will have limits.  I would love to have him develop and be a force later in his career

39 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I don't understand the criticism of Galloway.  I loved his energy and what he brought to the team.  He is the kind of teammate I would want on my every day of the week.  I thought he was one of the brightest spots on the team last year.

He can’t shoot and he’s overrated defensively. 

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Tamar Bates isn't truly in the transfer portal but this is where the discussion about him has been so I'll add this from Alec Lasley that isn't behind the Rivals paywall.

Indiana has one class of 2021 commit in Logan Duncomb, but new head coach Mike Woodson is keeping tabs on a new name in four-star guard Tamar Bates.

Bates is ranked the No. 57 prospect in the class of 2021.

The Kansas native transferred from Piper (KS) High School to national-power IMG Academy (FL) ahead of his senior year. As a junior, Bates averaged 22.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game. He also shot 58 percent from the field and 44 percent from three. This year, he helped lead IMG to GIECO Nationals.

Bates recently re-opened his recruitment after decommitting from Texas following the departure of head coach Shaka Smart to Marquette.

"After a lot of careful consideration and conversation with my family I have decided to request a release from my letter of intent with the University of Texas Men’s Basketball team," Bates said.

Since then, he has heard from numerous programs. Oklahoma State, Missouri, Pitt, Marquette and Indiana are some that are receiving most of the interest now.

"We are looking for adults that we can trust to be more concerned with Tamar’s continued character development rather his basketball skill development," Bates' father Tyrone told TheHoosier.com. "Opportunity to be able to compete for significant minutes that allow him to play right away."

The rest of the story is behind the paywall.

Continued character development...that sounds like a Woodson strong trait

13 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Mangas looks extremely slow on tape.

Honestly, I agree. I’m not sure how I’d feel about this move. I see Zeisloft being mentioned as his floor but I’m not sure. If he came in and had a Zeisloft type impact I think we’d be very lucky. He’d need to be a spot up shooter because I don’t think he could play anywhere near like he did at the NAIA level at the P5 level. Zeisloft shot 45% from three his first year here and 42% from three his second year. 

55 minutes ago, Go_Hoosiers said:

He can’t shoot and he’s overrated defensively. 

He was a freshman thrown into a position of getting decent minutes because other guys were underperforming.....and Galloway was playing much better pre-injury.  

Seems to me that a lot of people don't like his game because he got enough time that you saw his warts on display.  In terms of him being 'overrated defensively', not sure what that's based on.  Freshman that hold their own on defense typically turn out to be pretty damn good defenders.  No one has ever called him a superstar on these pages, but he is a guy who will contribute and will get better.

Here’s a full game of Mangas vs Huntington. I highly recommend watching a decent piece of it. Philosophically, I always want a coach to get who they want. But, you better REALLY believe in this kid’s offensive value to bring him in, because he has no chance to defend at a high D-1 level. His lateral quickness, his quick twitch, are just not good enough. And he’s not beating any decent defender off the dribble, though he is strong enough to finish if he can get a half step. But the shot would definitely play, and he clearly processes the game quickly. I would take a pass, but if CMW decides he wants him, ok. 

7 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Nah we need a stretch 4. A guy like Kopp would be a perfect fit 

I'm not sure Kopp is really a stretch four.  At of high school he was listed as a shooting guard and he is a bad rebounder.  To me he's more of a 3.  Might have played the 4 at Northwestern out of necessity. 

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Tamar Bates isn't truly in the transfer portal but this is where the discussion about him has been so I'll add this from Alec Lasley that isn't behind the Rivals paywall.

Indiana has one class of 2021 commit in Logan Duncomb, but new head coach Mike Woodson is keeping tabs on a new name in four-star guard Tamar Bates.

Bates is ranked the No. 57 prospect in the class of 2021.

The Kansas native transferred from Piper (KS) High School to national-power IMG Academy (FL) ahead of his senior year. As a junior, Bates averaged 22.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game. He also shot 58 percent from the field and 44 percent from three. This year, he helped lead IMG to GIECO Nationals.

Bates recently re-opened his recruitment after decommitting from Texas following the departure of head coach Shaka Smart to Marquette.

"After a lot of careful consideration and conversation with my family I have decided to request a release from my letter of intent with the University of Texas Men’s Basketball team," Bates said.

Since then, he has heard from numerous programs. Oklahoma State, Missouri, Pitt, Marquette and Indiana are some that are receiving most of the interest now.

"We are looking for adults that we can trust to be more concerned with Tamar’s continued character development rather his basketball skill development," Bates' father Tyrone told TheHoosier.com. "Opportunity to be able to compete for significant minutes that allow him to play right away."

The rest of the story is behind the paywall.

I haven’t seen what’s behind the paywall but this sounds promising for IU.

Multiple years of Bates appeals to me more than Mangas, and I think you take one (not both) to add a big with the other grant.