Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

I really don't get all the Brooks talk. If he was going to transfer why hasn't he entered the portal already? 

That is the only thing that doesn’t add up, could be waiting or his Family is heavily involved too

4 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Well, according to to Rupp Rafters, their local Radio show was talking about how Keion Brooks was planning to transfer

I know but that also seems like speculation based on social media rumors. 

1 minute ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

That is true too, but according to one their guys on their, Brooks seemed unhappy at UK

Sure but people said things like that in years past about IU players like Green and he never transferred. He might be frustrated but until he's in the portal I'm not buying it. 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Sure but people said things like that in years past about IU players like Green and he never transferred. He might be frustrated but until he's in the portal I'm not buying it. 

As others have said numerous times already, he does not have to be in the portal to transfer. 

I don’t think he’s transferring either but the portal isn’t the end all be all indicator whether someone is looking to transfer. Someone can still transfer whether they enter the portal or not. 

Portal is a tool that players can use to evaluate schools and send a clear message of interest to at least "entertain" the idea of transferring. However, if player X wants to transfer to another school, they do not need to explicitly use the portal to do so. I do believe I read somewhere that in order for kids to communicate with other schools (official staff), they needed to be in the portal...dont hold me to the fire on the last part, but I am pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Transfer portal is mandatory for any D1 player that wants to transfer 

https://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/

Who uses the NCAA Transfer Portal?

The portal is mandatory for all Division I student-athlete transfer requests since it became active last year. It is optional in Division II, though officials are considering making it mandatory for those transfer students, as well. Since Aug. 1, Division III student-athletes also are allowed to enter their names in the portal. During a presentation to the Division I Football Oversight Committee in June, NCAA Director of Governance Susan Peal shared a snapshot of the portal:

26 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Transfer portal is mandatory for any D1 player that wants to transfer 

https://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/

Who uses the NCAA Transfer Portal?

The portal is mandatory for all Division I student-athlete transfer requests since it became active last year. It is optional in Division II, though officials are considering making it mandatory for those transfer students, as well. Since Aug. 1, Division III student-athletes also are allowed to enter their names in the portal. During a presentation to the Division I Football Oversight Committee in June, NCAA Director of Governance Susan Peal shared a snapshot of the portal:

Could a player theoretically enter the portal. Then 5 seconds later announce a destination? 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Could a player theoretically enter the portal. Then 5 seconds later announce a destination? 

Probably.   If a player enters and knows where he wants to go he can select a no-contact option where his info is not shown.   

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Probably.   If a player enters and knows where he wants to go he can select a no-contact option where his info is not shown.   

Are schools allowed to talk to a kid who is out of the portal?  I know players can but wasn’t sure what the limits were on coaches. If they are not supposed to then it would be better if we waited 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Are schools allowed to talk to a kid who is out of the portal?  I know players can but wasn’t sure what the limits were on coaches. If they are not supposed to then it would be better if we waited 

Players can’t talk with schools if they are out of the portal.   If you want to transfer they have to enter the portal 

34 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Players can’t talk with schools if they are out of the portal.   If you want to transfer they have to enter the portal 

I know coaches can't contact players who aren't in the portal but can the players themselves initiate the contact? Or is no communication allowed in either direction when the player isn't in the portal?

For clarity, by this I mean can the player call another school's coach and say, "I want to play for you. Will you take me if I enter the portal?"

I realize they can't complete the transfer without entering the portal. I'm just wondering what communication is allowed or if none is in either direction.

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I know coaches can't contact players who aren't in the portal but can the players themselves initiate the contact? Or is no communication allowed in either direction when the player isn't in the portal?

For clarity, by this I mean can the player call another school's coach and say, "I want to play for you. Will you take me if I enter the portal?"

I realize the can't complete the transfer without entering the portal. I'm just wondering what communication is allowed or if none is in either direction.

I would guess no communication would be allowed in either direction until a player enters the portal