Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

With effectively free agency in the recruiting world, whoever our next coach is will be able to field a team that will be better than the team Crean fielded in his first year.  I don't want to lose any of our players but it's not the end of the world for IU bball.

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With effectively free agency in the recruiting world, whoever our next coach is will be able to field a team that will be better than the team Crean fielded in his first year.  I don't want to lose any of our players but it's not the end of the world for IU bball.

I understand your point but if our baseline is to build a team better than the first one Crean had, every person on this board is a candidate. We could field a team of Leal, Galloway, Martha, Dolson, and a baseball player and they'd be better than that team. 

17 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I understand your point but if our baseline is to build a team better than the first one Crean had, every person on this board is a candidate. We could field a team of Leal, Galloway, Martha, Dolson, and a baseball player and they'd be better than that team. 

My point is that the next coach will have a far better talent pool to draw from than Crean did to fill out a roster. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Agreed. Let's not forget that all of these players leaving were part of a losing team. The coaching hire is the priority. Get that right and everything else falls into place.

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Agreed. Let's not forget that all of these players leaving were part of a losing team. The coaching hire is the priority. Get that right and everything else falls into place.

Yep.  Some, especially Al and Race may want to give themselves the best shot at a tournament run.  It's conceivable that we could have a much improved roster and record next year yet not make or advance in the tourney.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We all know the transfer market will be crazy, but anybody know what the timing is as far as deadlines to enter and how late a player can wait to choose a new destination?

1 minute ago, pumpfake said:

We all know the transfer market will be crazy, but anybody know what the timing is as far as deadlines to enter and how late a player can wait to choose a new destination?

No deadlines for entering. As for choosing, just have to choose on time to start classes in the fall. 

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

No deadlines for entering. As for choosing, just have to choose on time to start classes in the fall. 

Also, I don't think any transfers would happen until after the semester ends, even if a player decides to go somewhere. I think that to be eligible to play you need to be in good academic standing for consecutive semesters, and transferring mid semester creates a gap

Edited by PB1230
typo

1 minute ago, PB1230 said:

Also, I don't think any transfers would happen until after the semester ends, even if a player decides to go somewhere. I think that to be eligible to play you need to be in good academic standing for consecutive semesters, and transferring mid semester creates a gap

correct. Entering the portal is not an effective transfer, just puts your name out for schools to contact you. 

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Looks like Minny has reached out to Race. Not surprising though

Did I miss something or is Minny missing a HC as well?

On 3/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, brumdog45 said:

If the coach to be is currently a college coach, the recruiting he is doing for his current school could very easily end up being the recruiting he is doing for Indiana.

Unless your new school is Indiana and they don't like the optics of bringing in a kid you recruited at your previous school, ie McKinley Wright.

Just now, ILHoosier said:

4 yrs ago Brad Underwood had a mass exodus from Illinois and look what he built the last 4 yrs years with his own guys. Players come and go. IU will be fine no matter which players leaves.

2nd round exit with two NBA guys. Sign me up. Oh wait.. we had that already. 

A NOTE TO THE BOARD
I have entered the transfer portal. I am still considering returning as a poster on BtownBanners, but in an effort to insure my future, I will consider other teams' message boards. Again, this is exploratory--I will consider returning to this Indiana University message board after meeting with the new Indiana coach. I would like to thank Coaches Sampson, Dakich, Crean, and Miller for so many years of excellent comedic material. I also want to recognize Tijan, Middle School Bob, Austin Van Zant, and any Stetson commits from the State of Indiana for the joy they have brought me. My family, fellow posters, moderator mentors, and the great Hoosier Nation fanbase have given me nothing but love and encouragement during my time as a poster on this Indiana message board. They will remain 'family' forever!
Stuhoo
(ps: F-you Rupp Rafters; don't call)
Noo we can't lose you. Welp iu definitely is jinxed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk